Professional Web Applications Themes

Locking part of a nested template - Macromedia Dreamweaver

I have set-up a main template for a site featuring a logo, menu, and footer. I am now trying to set-up a nested template for each sub-section of the site. In each nested template I need to be able to edit the menu (to remove the link to the current section), but would then like to make the menu non-editable for each page within the section. Any advice would be appreciated....

  1. #1

    Default Locking part of a nested template

    I have set-up a main template for a site featuring a logo, menu, and footer.

    I am now trying to set-up a nested template for each sub-section of the site. In each nested template I need to be able to edit the menu (to remove the link to the current section), but would then like to make the menu non-editable for each page within the section.

    Any advice would be appreciated.

    Stubob100 Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Locking part of a nested template

    Stubob:

    It's not really necessary to use nested templates to do this simple task.
    Just set a Template parameter to the section name, and make each button's
    state/link depend on the value of this section parameter. You would then be
    able to avoid the use of nested templates altogether.

    There is a tutorial about one way to do this on our book's companion site -

    http://www.dreamweavermx-templates.com

    --
    Murray --- ICQ 71997575
    ==================

    "Stubob100" <com> wrote in message
    sub-section of a site. In each nested template I need to be able to edit the
    menu (to remove the link to the current section), but would then like to
    make the menu non-editable for each page within the section.

    Murray Guest

  3. #3

    Default Re: CSS advice needed

    Using CSS you can center the image on the width but I don't believe you can center it on the height.

    Always remember, no matter where ya go....there ya are!
    Capt. Guest

  4. #4

    Haven't solved this yet.

    The Decloak extension sounds ideal except "Users are highly recommended to use the Nested Menus Demo Web Sites at decloak.com that are included with the download"

    This would mean starting from scratch which isn't an optition.

    Wrapping the (" ") around the editable region made it disappear. It was still visible in the browser but I had (" at the top of the page. Plus, it didn't solve the problem. The menu was still editable in child pages. Or have I done something wrong?

    Stubob100 Guest

  5. #5

    YES I did do it wrong.

    I assumed the (" ") was supposed to go around the code. In fact, it just goes anywhere within the editable region.

    If anybody else has this problem the technote is...

    http://www.macromedia.com/support/dreamweaver/ts/doents/nestededitable.htm

    Stubob100 Guest

  6. #6

    Please See Chapter VIII - Upgrading your Existing Templates in the
    Instruction Manual. This will gives you tips on taking your existing site
    and moving it over.

    So, thankfully, you are not starting from scratch as it might seem.

    That's the advantage of using templates in the first place. If you have
    editable regions in your existing template, you can easily move them over.

    dc
    decloak, Inc.
    http://www.decloak.com/
    Multi-Navigation Templates and Menus
    http://www.decloak.com/Products/Dreamweaver/NestedTemplates/

    use the Nested Menus Demo Web Sites at decloak.com that are included with
    the download"
    was still visible in the browser but I had (" at the top of the page.
    Plus, it didn't solve the problem. The menu was still editable in child
    pages. Or have I done something wrong?

    dc Guest