Professional Web Applications Themes

Logical order to read perldocs - PERL Beginners

I'm trying very hard to get a good grasp on OOP, references, complex data structures etc. I just ordered Learning Perl Objects, References and Modules from amazon.ca, and have been tredging through the perldoc doentation. After getting into a few of the pages, it appears as though I get a certain way through the manual page, and all of a sudden, it drops right off and I get lost, as it feels as though you need prior knowledge at that point. In particular, perldsc was very good, well laid out, but again, I got to a point where it was ...

  1. #1

    Default Logical order to read perldocs

    I'm trying very hard to get a good grasp on OOP, references, complex
    data structures etc.

    I just ordered Learning Perl Objects, References and Modules from
    amazon.ca, and have been tredging through the perldoc doentation.

    After getting into a few of the pages, it appears as though I get a
    certain way through the manual page, and all of a sudden, it drops
    right off and I get lost, as it feels as though you need prior
    knowledge at that point.

    In particular, perldsc was very good, well laid out, but again, I got
    to a point where it was like whoah, way over my head.

    Is there anyone here who can recommend a logical reading order of some
    of these docs, so they tend to lean from one, into the next and so on?

    TIA for any advice on the precedence order.

    Steve

    Steve Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Logical order to read perldocs

    Steve Bertrand wrote:

    You might be best off waiting for the book. Having said that, did you go
    through the tutorials or just the reference docs? The difference here
    is that the book is specifically geared towards learning/teaching, where
    some of the docs are reference material, they are intended to explain
    most or all the possiblities in a tight format. The tutorials are
    better because they too are geared more towards teaching, but I don't
    think they are as solid as the LPORM book.

    Check,
    perldoc perl

    You might want to go with the order listed in there. I would suggest
    starting with perlreftut and perlboot, but when I read the docs I
    already had a foundation from the Advanced Perl Prog from ORA and OO
    Perl by Damian Conway.

    Good luck,

    http://danconia.org
    Wiggins Guest

  3. #3

    > Steve Bertrand wrote:
    >
    > You might be best off waiting for the book. Having said that, did you
    > go
    > through the tutorials or just the reference docs? The difference here
    > is that the book is specifically geared towards learning/teaching,
    > where
    > some of the docs are reference material, they are intended to explain
    > most or all the possiblities in a tight format. The tutorials are
    > better because they too are geared more towards teaching, but I don't
    > think they are as solid as the LPORM book.
    >
    > Check,
    > perldoc perl
    >
    > You might want to go with the order listed in there. I would suggest
    > starting with perlreftut and perlboot, but when I read the docs I
    > already had a foundation from the Advanced Perl Prog from ORA and OO
    > Perl by Damian Conway.
    >
    > Good luck,[/ref]

    Thanks much...being thanksgiving and all, I won't get much reading
    time this weekend anyway, so I'll just wait a couple days for the book
    ;o)

    Steve

    Steve Guest

  4. #4

    Steve Bertrand wrote:

    I am a *huge* fan of the Perl doentation set, and the guys that worked so
    hard to put it together deserve major kudos. But books like the one you've
    ordered are really helpful at taking you on a tour through the whole
    language.

    Anyway, start with "perldoc perl" (from 5.8 or higher) to see a list of the
    docs available. A lot of tutorial-style pages have been added in recent
    versions. You can start at http://www.perldoc.com/perl5.8.4/pod/perl.html if
    you want to browse these docs on the web.

    The following look like good places to start:

    perlreftut (http://www.perldoc.com/perl5.8.4/pod/perlreftut.html)
    perlboot (http://www.perldoc.com/perl5.8.4/pod/perlboot.html)
    Bob Guest