Professional Web Applications Themes

Login failed for user 'NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE' - ASP.NET Security

Hey Nick.... Will you please specify, exactly how you do what you describ? Creating what role where and how! I would be very pleased if you would do that, because I have similar problems..... :-( Greetings Luciano Gio Gambinni "Nick Gilbert" <newsnickgilbert.com> wrote in message news:%23fcKRZYMDHA.3088TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl... > Create a new role in the database called something like WWWUser, then set up > the permissions on that role. Finally add the NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE > to that role. Don't ever set the permissions against a particular user > directly as it can cause problems when transferring databases between > servers or ...

  1. #1

    Default Re: Login failed for user 'NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE'

    Hey Nick....

    Will you please specify, exactly how you do what you describ?

    Creating what role where and how!

    I would be very pleased if you would do that, because I have similar
    problems..... :-(

    Greetings

    Luciano Gio Gambinni

    "Nick Gilbert" <newsnickgilbert.com> wrote in message
    > Create a new role in the database called something like WWWUser, then set
    up
    > the permissions on that role. Finally add the NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE
    > to that role. Don't ever set the permissions against a particular user
    > directly as it can cause problems when transferring databases between
    > servers or make your life difficult if you change your security model.
    For
    > example, if you found you needed to host on Windows 2000, there is no
    > NETWORK SERVICE user, so you need to use the MACHINENAME\ASPNET user
    > instead. It would be quite simple to just swap the users over within that
    > role rather than having to reset the permissions on every single table and
    > stored procedure just because the user had changed.
    >
    > Nick...
    >
    > "buran" <buranburan.com> wrote in message
    > > Dear ASP.NET Users,
    > >
    > > I installed Windows 2003 Standard Edition, then Visual Studio .NET and
    SQL
    > > Server 2000 with SP3. When I build web project connecting to the
    database
    > in
    > > VS.NET, the compliler gives me the following error:
    > >
    > > Login failed for user 'NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE'
    > >
    > > Has anyone experienced similar problem or how can I solve it?
    > >
    > > Thanks,
    > >
    > > Burak Kadirbeyoglu

    ecoder Guest

  2. #2

    Hey Nick....

    Will you please specify, exactly how you do what you describ?

    Creating what role where and how!

    I would be very pleased if you would do that, because I have similar
    problems..... :-(

    Greetings

    Luciano Gio Gambinni

    "Nick Gilbert" <newsnickgilbert.com> wrote in message
    > Create a new role in the database called something like WWWUser, then set
    up
    > the permissions on that role. Finally add the NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE
    > to that role. Don't ever set the permissions against a particular user
    > directly as it can cause problems when transferring databases between
    > servers or make your life difficult if you change your security model.
    For
    > example, if you found you needed to host on Windows 2000, there is no
    > NETWORK SERVICE user, so you need to use the MACHINENAME\ASPNET user
    > instead. It would be quite simple to just swap the users over within that
    > role rather than having to reset the permissions on every single table and
    > stored procedure just because the user had changed.
    >
    > Nick...
    >
    > "buran" <buranburan.com> wrote in message
    > > Dear ASP.NET Users,
    > >
    > > I installed Windows 2003 Standard Edition, then Visual Studio .NET and
    SQL
    > > Server 2000 with SP3. When I build web project connecting to the
    database
    > in
    > > VS.NET, the compliler gives me the following error:
    > >
    > > Login failed for user 'NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE'
    > >
    > > Has anyone experienced similar problem or how can I solve it?
    > >
    > > Thanks,
    > >
    > > Burak Kadirbeyoglu

    ecoder Guest

  3. #3

    Try to add the network service account as a user to the database you are
    trying to access.
    Thank you,
    John Soulis
    Microsoft, ASP.NET

    [url]http://www.microsoft.com/info/cpyright.htm[/url]

    John Soulis [MSFT] Guest

  4. #4

    If I understand correctly, then Under Windows Server 2003, the NT AUTHORITY/NETWORK SERVICE database user is part of the IIS Worker Process Group (IIS_WPG) and I already have that in the Users Group with db_owner permissions. And this hasn't helped....
    vibs Guest

  5. #5

    Hi

    Can you please explain exactly which user, or which group, you permitted to
    login to SQL Server?

    Did you explicitly add NT AUTHORITY\Network Service to the permitted logons?
    or did you add something else?

    Cheers
    Ken

    "vibs" <anonymousdiscussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    : If I understand correctly, then Under Windows Server 2003, the NT
    AUTHORITY/NETWORK SERVICE database user is part of the IIS Worker Process
    Group (IIS_WPG) and I already have that in the Users Group with db_owner
    permissions. And this hasn't helped....

    Ken Schaefer Guest

  6. #6

    Did you grant SELECT rights to the tables for IIS_WPG?

    Mike

    > I have added IIS_WPG with db_owner permissions. There is no such
    user/group as NT AUTHORITY\Network Service I can add in SQL Server.

    Mike Johnson Guest

  7. #7

    Right click on Database, Then Click on
    Users,
    New Database User

    When the window pops up, click on the Ellipsis next to the Name box.

    Then in the next box, select IIS_WPG and then click on MEMBERS. Now, select NEtwork Service from here and ...hopefully, this should help...

    Zoher Bharmal
    [email]zmbharmalhotmail.com[/email]

    ---
    Posted using Wimdows.net NntpNews Component -

    Post Made from [url]http://www.DotNetJunkies.com/newsgroups[/url] Our newsgroup engine supports Post Alerts, Ratings, and Searching.
    DotNetJunkies User Guest

  10. #10

    I had the same issue running Windows 2003. I simple type: 'NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE into new user for the database instance, then added that user to each database I was using it for and set the appropriate rights. Hope this works for you.

    ---

  11. #11

    thnx for the solution

    ---

  12. #12

    Open SQL Enterprise manager, drill down to security and add this user: NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE

    ---

  13. #13

    Zoher Bharmal you are the man!!!!! I struggled with this simple issue for a while myself......

    ---

  14. #14

    Thanks a lot, it works fine...

    Can you explain a little more why I need do that?

    the ASP user don't have all that I need?

    ---