Professional Web Applications Themes

Loki Heretic II in RH9 - Linux Setup, Configuration & Administration

I am a Linux newbie, so I apologize for that right off the bat. I recently got the subject game and installed it on my system without incident. Upon installing it, there was no icon, no direction on how to run the game. I actually had to install the game while logged in as root. I am using the Gnome interface. My system is an Intel Pentium 4 Machine. Upon consulting the manual, it says "To run the game, enter heretic2 from the command line within X". (LOL) W H A T T H E H E L L I ...

  1. #1

    Default Loki Heretic II in RH9

    I am a Linux newbie, so I apologize for that right off the bat.

    I recently got the subject game and installed it on my system without
    incident. Upon installing it, there was no icon, no direction on how to run
    the game. I actually had to install the game while logged in as root. I am
    using the Gnome interface. My system is an Intel Pentium 4 Machine.

    Upon consulting the manual, it says "To run the game, enter heretic2 from
    the command line within X". (LOL)

    W H A T T H E H E L L I S "X" ????

    Better yet, did a search for "heretic2" on the entire hard drive and came up
    with nothing...

    I am beginning to feel really stupid using this OS...sorry for the sarcasm,
    but if anyone can set me strait I would greatly appreciate it.

    Thank you.

    Jeff Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Loki Heretic II in RH9

    Jeff Lloyd wrote:

    GNOME is an X windows system. its suggesting that you run your
    windowing system before you try to start the game. Dont try it at a
    text only console in other words.

    so within gnome, open up a command prompt and type heretic2.

    How did you search? will will be much more help in these forums if you
    are more specific.

    likely you used 'locate' which didnt get a chance to add the heretic
    files to its database. locate updates its database once per day. you
    can update it manually if you wish, then reissue the locate heretic command.

    try not to cross post so heavily. and pick your newsgroups better. 1
    should suffice, if not people will tell you which one to ask in.

    cl

    Carl Guest

  3. #3

    "Jeff Lloyd" <com> writes:

    It's usually the case in the linux world that root permission is
    required to install system wide software. This way, naive, trusting
    users don't inadvertently install viral code, since they don't have
    permission. Of course, if you're new to linux, you have to be root
    to do things even though you lack experience. But at least you can
    only let yourself be root when you're being extra cautious.

    X is X windows, the graphical interface used in linux. If, when you start
    out, you've got a command line interface with nothing but text against a
    blank screen, you're in command line mode. You should be able to get into
    graphics mode with the command 'startx', however, with Redhat, the default
    is to already be in graphics mode so that's probably not the problem.

    What you need is a terminal window within X and there should be an icon
    under the main window labeled 'terminal' that you can click on, or maybe
    it's in a sub-menu under the main menu (which has an icon of a red hat)
    like "system tools". Anyway, getting a terminal window and clicking in it,
    or doing whatever is necessary to change the focus to that window, gives
    you a command line interface within that window from which you can type
    commands like 'heretic2'.

    But I wonder how you even got the thing installed without a command line.

    I bought heretic2 from Loki shortly after it was released. I played it
    and it worked fine. I put away and went through various upgrades of my
    system, until I had a sort of clone of RH9 from Edmunds-Enterprises. One
    day I dusted off my CD of heretic2, installed it, and tried to run it,
    and it didn't work. The install process is broken. It copied a lot of
    stuff to /usr/local/games/heretic2, but it never copied over the actual
    executable of heretic2. Really weird. I don't know if something went
    wrong with the CD itself, or there's something about the RH9 configuration,
    or what. All I know is, it used to work, and I hope it works for you.

    You may also have a later revision of heretic2 from loki, because, with
    my version, you wouldn't even be able to get it installed without a
    command line interface, which you don't seem to know about.

    C. Guest

  4. #4

    Thanks Guys -

    I already tried opening up a terminal window and typing heretic2.

    The system comes back and tells me that there is no such command...looks
    like I am back to square one...Thanks anyway.

    "Jeff Lloyd" <com> wrote in message
    run
    am
    up
    sarcasm,

    Jeff Guest

  5. #5

    On 2004-01-07, C. P. Weidling <net> wrote:

    > I bought heretic2 from Loki shortly after it was released. I played it
    > and it worked fine. I put away and went through various upgrades of my
    > system, until I had a sort of clone of RH9 from Edmunds-Enterprises. One
    > day I dusted off my CD of heretic2, installed it, and tried to run it,
    > and it didn't work. The install process is broken. It copied a lot of
    > stuff to /usr/local/games/heretic2, but it never copied over the actual
    > executable of heretic2. Really weird. I don't know if something went
    > wrong with the CD itself, or there's something about the RH9 configuration,
    > or what. All I know is, it used to work, and I hope it works for you.
    >
    > You may also have a later revision of heretic2 from loki, because, with
    > my version, you wouldn't even be able to get it installed without a
    > command line interface, which you don't seem to know about.[/ref]

    I bought a copy of Heretic2 about a year ago for $1.99. I had
    to hack on the install script to get it to install on RH7.2. It
    wasn't copying things correctly, IIRC, it wasn't able to detect
    hte libc version (I think it requires that old RH6 era libc be
    installed). It took a few hours of sweat to get it installed,
    but then it worked fine. Until I installed Mandrake 9.1, then
    it just plain stopped working -- now the binary just segfaults.

    Oh well, I guess for $1.99 I can't complain.

    --
    Grant Edwards grante Yow! We have DIFFERENT
    at amounts of HAIR --

  6. #6

    I installed it via a terminal window.

    the command was sh setup.sh

    "Grant Edwards" <com> wrote in message
    news:3ffc7ca8$0$41287$visi.com... [/ref]
    line. [/ref][/ref]
    came up [/ref][/ref]
    sarcasm,

    > > I bought heretic2 from Loki shortly after it was released. I played it
    > > and it worked fine. I put away and went through various upgrades of my
    > > system, until I had a sort of clone of RH9 from Edmunds-Enterprises.[/ref][/ref]
    One [/ref]
    configuration,

    > I bought a copy of Heretic2 about a year ago for $1.99. I had
    > to hack on the install script to get it to install on RH7.2. It
    > wasn't copying things correctly, IIRC, it wasn't able to detect
    > hte libc version (I think it requires that old RH6 era libc be
    > installed). It took a few hours of sweat to get it installed,
    > but then it worked fine. Until I installed Mandrake 9.1, then
    > it just plain stopped working -- now the binary just segfaults.
    >
    > Oh well, I guess for $1.99 I can't complain.
    >
    > --
    > Grant Edwards grante Yow! We have DIFFERENT
    > at amounts of HAIR --
    > visi.com[/ref]

    Jeff Guest

  7. Moderated Post

    Removed by Administrator
    Ohmster Guest
    Moderated Post

  8. #8

    In comp.os.linux.misc Jeff Lloyd <com> wrote:

    ftp://sunsite.dk/mirrors/lokigames/installers/heretic2/heretic2-install-x86.run

    Downloat that installer. I believe it's updated to work properly with
    new glibc libraries.

    Remove the /usr/local/games/heretic2 directory. Mount the heretic2 CD
    and run that installer.

    That *should* work, if I remember correctly. I have the game installed,
    but it's been a while since I installed it.

    You'll need hardware accelerated GL libraries to make it worthwhile, but
    there *is* a software renderer for the game.

    Adam

    Adam Guest

  9. #9

    "Jeff Lloyd" <com> writes:

    ...<snip>...

    Yeah, that's because the installer is apparently broken with respect
    to newer linux distros. It never copies over the actual executable
    file heretic2, though it does copy over other stuff, by default to
    /usr/local/games/heretic2 (or something like that). Some other
    posters made suggestions that might work. I'll be trying them myself
    when I get around to it.
    C. Guest

  10. #10

    Thank you very much. This worked. Now at least there is an "executable"
    that I can initiate to run the game...now I get the following which seems to
    speak to the video mode? I have updated drivers from NVidia, but have not
    installed them yet because they require that you NOT be in X when you
    install them. I don't quite know how to boot into anything else but gnome,
    but if anyone can comment as to how I would boot Linux without booting into
    X, that would be much appreciated.

    Here is the error that I got:

    Added packfile /usr/local/games/heretic2/base/htic2-0.pak (4347 files)

    Executing global default.cfg

    Could not find /root/.loki/heretic2/config.cfg

    Unable to exec config.cfg

    NET Initialized

    Loaded DLL /usr/local/games/heretic2/base/client_effects.so as 0x8a26960

    Setting default sound support "snd_sdl.so"

    Loaded DLL /usr/local/games/heretic2/snd_sdl.so as 0x8a26d78

    Console initialized.

    VID: initial refresh soft

    Loaded DLL /usr/local/games/heretic2/ref_soft.so as 0x8a29df0

    Initializing VID module

    Initialize software renderer

    Setting mode x11 for device mouse

    Initialized 640x480 16bit display

    Shutting down sound.

    Shutting down input handling

    Shutting down sound.

    Warning: currently only R5G6B5 mode supported

    Exiting Heretic II...

    recursive shutdown

  11. #11

    In comp.os.linux.misc Jeff Lloyd <com> wrote:

    Yeah, you will either need to install the nVidia drivers or adjust the
    color depth your running at (which requires killing X and editing the X
    config file, so you might as well install the nVidia drivers).

    Also, never run things like that as the root user. All of Loki's games
    are capable being run by your actual user on the system.

    I don't remember what distribution you said you were running, but if
    it's RedHat or one of the RedHat forks, you'll want to drop to init
    level 3 ('telinit 3'). This will kill X and all applications running in
    X, allowing you to log into the console. Then you can install the
    drivers.

    Adam

    Adam Guest

  12. #12

    Jeff Lloyd wrote:

    Now I have another question. And this will be the last as I know the
    regulars and experienced get tired of such mundane questions from people
    not in the know on this stuff.

    I need a simple method of explanation of how NOT to boot into X. I am
    learning slowly but surely, but the fact of the matter is that I need to
    install video drivers from nVidia and I have to boot a certain way in
    order to install them. Based on the docs from NVidia, my inittab file
    is as follows, and I have cut and pasted what I THINK is relavent.

    # Default runlevel. The runlevels used by RHS are:
    # 0 - halt (Do NOT set initdefault to this)
    # 1 - Single user mode
    # 2 - Multiuser, without NFS (The same as 3, if you do not have
    networking)
    # 3 - Full multiuser mode
    # 4 - unused
    # 5 - X11
    # 6 - reboot (Do NOT set initdefault to this)
    #
    id:5:initdefault:

    Now I can see that it is booting into X11. Fine. What do I change this
    to in order to satisfy the installation of the NVidia drivers. Also,
    when I am done, how do I edit this file in a command mode to get back to
    X11?

    Sorry for the stupid questions, but I will get this damn game running
    one way or the other.

    Thanks for any input.

    Jeff Guest

  13. #13

    In comp.os.linux.misc Jeff Lloyd <com> wrote:

    No need to reboot or edit that file. As root, from an xterm, type:

    $ telinit 3

    That should kill X and all X apps. You'll now be able to log in via the
    console. Install the drivers. If you want to, reboot. If not, just
    do:

    $ telinit 5

    Voila, drivers installed :-)

    Adam
    Adam Guest

  14. #14

    Adam K Kirchhoff wrote:

    > No need to reboot or edit that file. As root, from an xterm, type:
    >
    > $ telinit 3
    >
    > That should kill X and all X apps. You'll now be able to log in via the
    > console. Install the drivers. If you want to, reboot. If not, just
    > do:
    >
    > $ telinit 5
    >
    > Voila, drivers installed :-)
    >
    > Adam[/ref]

    Well it looks like I have deeper issues than I thought. I get to the
    NVIDIA installation screen, and then I get this "No precompiled
    interface was found to match your kernal"
    I then let the installation software try to compile such a thing, and
    then nothing, it can't find anything. I am giving up on this for tonight.
    I don't want to hear any Windows bashing!! After using Linux, I
    appreciate Windows more and more. This just AIN'T EASY!!!

    Thanks Adam for all of your help, but if you have anymore suggestions to
    this, great. I think my next move is to go to the NVIDIA newsgroups and
    go from there.

    By the way, I went to add/remove programs, and I did not see anything
    that I could install that would display the kernal interface.........

    Jeff Guest

  15. #15

    Jeff Lloyd <com> writes:

    ^

    | Change this from 5 (X11 as shown in the comments) to 3 (Full multi
    user mode). The system should boot up to the kind of plain login
    prompt us old time unix types know and love. You log in, and, if
    at some point you time you want to go into X, use 'startx'.

    When you want to go back to starting out in X11 again, change it
    back to a 5.

    ...<snip>...
    C. Guest

  16. #16

    On Thu, 08 Jan 2004 21:10:52 -0500, Jeff Lloyd <com>
    wrote:

    [cut]

    Do you have the kernel-source package installed?
    Mark Guest

  17. #17

    On Thu, 08 Jan 2004 21:10:52 -0500, Jeff Lloyd <com>
    wrote:

    [cut]

    BTW, in my limited experience, at least, Linux isn't much more trouble
    than windows, once you become somewhat familiar with a few things like
    mount points, configure scripts, etc. But it isn't as prefebricated
    as Windows, so, for now, at least, people who value simplicy or
    familiarity over flexibility might prefer Windows (or Mac).
    Mark Guest

  18. #18

    When I go to Add/Remove programs, there is no option for a "kernal source
    package". Is that something I have to download from somewhere?

    "Mark Nagy" <att.net> wrote in message
    news:com... [/ref]
    tonight.

    > Do you have the kernel-source package installed?[/ref]

    Jeff Guest

  19. #19

    On Sat, 10 Jan 2004 18:24:47 GMT, "Jeff Lloyd" <com>
    wrote:

    It can be downloaded (from redhat.com or rpmfind.net, for example) but
    it should be on one of the installation CD's. With Fedora Core 1, I
    generally use the rpm command in a terminal; I'm not familiar with
    RH9's add/remove programs, so I don't know why it wouldn't be showing
    the kernel source; maybe someone else knows.
    Mark Guest

  20. #20

    Jeff Lloyd wrote:

    It's under "Kernel Development". It's a standard package of that group
    so the name isn't displayed unless you click open the list of "Standard
    Packages".

    --
    Markku Kolkka
    fi