Professional Web Applications Themes

Loking for car makes DB model - Microsoft SQL / MS SQL Server

  1. #1

    Default Re: Loking for car makes DB model

    >> Want to create DB for cars and models, but not really familiar with
    what the data should be. <<

    Start doing research. Look up what the VIN number is and then go to
    other industry standards.

    --CELKO--
    ===========================
    schema are.

    Joe Celko Guest

  2. #2

    Joe,

    Your "look at subject - don't read post" reply to post as always
    informative.

    VIN is related to the car itself. I know that make, model, year, etc..
    encoded into VIN.

    But I'm looking into the best way of organizing all this descriptive data
    since I'm interested
    in car types itself. And I can't really research all makers and Don't want
    to do it for 1 make to realize that someething different for others. Thats
    why I were thinking that there should be templates available for this.

    Thanks!

    Ivan

    "Joe Celko" <anonymousdevdex.com> wrote in message
    > >> Want to create DB for cars and models, but not really familiar with
    > what the data should be. <<
    >
    > Start doing research. Look up what the VIN number is and then go to
    > other industry standards.
    >
    > --CELKO--
    > ===========================
    > Please post DDL, so that people do not have to guess what the keys,
    > constraints, Declarative Referential Integrity, datatypes, etc. in your
    > schema are.
    >
    > *** Sent via Developersdex [url]http://www.developersdex.com[/url] ***

    Ivan Demkovitch Guest

  3. #3

    Ivan,

    There are a few car related at the site below. Perhaps something to begin with?

    [url]http://www.databaseanswers.com/data_models/index.htm[/url]

    --
    Tibor Karaszi, SQL Server MVP
    Archive at: [url]http://groups.google.com/groups?oi=djq&as_ugroup=microsoft.public.sqlserver[/url]

    "Ivan Demkovitch" <id> wrote in message news:O2ISXWYRDHA.2084TK2MSFTNGP11.phx.gbl...
    > Hi!
    >
    > Want to create DB for cars and models, but not really familiar with
    > what the data could be. The only thing I know Is Accord EX, LX, DX :-)
    >
    > Does anybody have general schema where I can track make, model, trim level,
    > options, etc...
    >
    > I would really appreciate script or link to diagram.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Ivan

    Tibor Karaszi Guest

  4. #4

    Thanks,

    Found it myslef. It looks more like DB designs examples. Not related to real
    world applications.

    Decided to do it on my own...

    "Tibor Karaszi" <tibor.please_reply_to_public_forum.karaszicorner stone.se>
    wrote in message news:O%23xDaVgRDHA.3236TK2MSFTNGP10.phx.gbl...
    > Ivan,
    >
    > There are a few car related at the site below. Perhaps something to begin
    with?

    > [url]http://www.databaseanswers.com/data_models/index.htm[/url]
    >
    > --
    > Tibor Karaszi, SQL Server MVP
    > Archive at:
    [url]http://groups.google.com/groups?oi=djq&as_ugroup=microsoft.public.sqlserver[/url]

    > "Ivan Demkovitch" <id> wrote in message
    > > Hi!
    > >
    > > Want to create DB for cars and models, but not really familiar with
    > > what the data could be. The only thing I know Is Accord EX, LX, DX :-)
    > >
    > > Does anybody have general schema where I can track make, model, trim
    level,
    > > options, etc...
    > >
    > > I would really appreciate script or link to diagram.
    > >
    > > Thanks,
    > > Ivan

    Ivan Demkovitch Guest

  5. #5

    NCIC (National Crime Information Center) uses alphabetic abbreviations
    for the make and model of stolen cars. They were so complete they had
    stuff like "Yoo Long Motor Company" of Taiwan.

    The same code schemes were used by used car dealers. As I recall, they
    all came from the same source as the VIN.

    In North America, a system is used that is far more stringent than the
    ISO Standards but is "backward compatible." Here, the VIN is divided
    into four sections:

    The first three characters shall uniquely identify the manufacturer,
    make and type of vehicle (with the same exception of manufacturers that
    produce less than 500 vehicles). Effectively, this is the WMI. There are
    indeed examples of manufacturers who have more than one WMI that use the
    third character as a code for a vehicle category (for instance bus or
    truck). Just as often however this is not the case; The second section
    consists of five characters (VIN positions 4-8) and identifies the

    attributes of the vehicle. For each type of vehicle (passenger cars,
    MPV's, trucks, buses,

    trailers, motorcycles, incomplete vehicles other than trailers),
    different information is required. For cars, MPV's and light trucks it
    is required that the first two characters of this section are
    alphabetic, the third and fourth shall be numeric and the fifth
    alphanumeric.

    This section is the VDS in ISO 3779 but there it comprises another
    position of the VIN; The third section consists of one character which
    is the check digit, calculated over the

    other 16 characters of the VIN. This character can be numeric or the
    letter X; The fourth section consists of eight characters on positions
    10-17 of the VIN. The last five shall be numeric for cars, MPV's and
    light trucks and the last four shall be numeric for all other vehicles.
    The first character represents the vehicle model year, the second
    character represents the plant of manufacture. The third through eighth
    characters are a sequential

    production number (for manufacturers producing more than 500 vehicles
    per year). For other manufacturers, the sixth, seventh and eight
    positions represent the sequential production number.

    This section confirms to the VIS in ISO 3779.

    A portion of the VIN is the WMI (World Manufacturer Identifier) Code.
    SAE assigns this code to U.S. vehicle manufacturers. If you are a U.S.
    manufacturer, please contact:

    Cathy Douds
    WMI Coordinator
    SAE International
    400 Commonwealth Drive
    Warrendale, PA 15096-0001
    724.772.8511
    724.776.4026 - fax
    [email]doudssae.org[/email]

    Related Standards:

    There are several standards available on VINs and WMIs:

    SAE - J187 - Truck Vehicle Identification Numbers
    SAE - J218 - Passenger Car Identification Terminology
    SAE - J272 - Vehicle Identification Number Systems
    SAE - J273 - Passenger Car Vehicle Identification Number System
    SAE - J853 - Vehicle Identification Numbers
    SAE - J1108 - Truck and Truck Tractor Vehicle Identification Number
    Systems
    SAE - J1044 - World Manufacturer Identifier
    SAE - J1229 - Truck Identification Terminology
    SAE - J1877 - Recommended Practice for Bar-Coded Vehicle Identification
    Number Label

    SAE J129 - Engine and Transmission Identification Numbers
    ISO 3779 - Road vehicles - Vehicle identification number (VIN) Content
    and structure
    ISO 3780 - Road vehicles - World manufacturer identifier (WMI) code

    Give Cathy Douds a call and see if hse can provide you with a website,
    CD or tape with the current abbreviation codes.

    --CELKO--
    ===========================
    schema are.

    Joe Celko Guest

  6. #6

    Joe,

    VIN part was just a part of a project. I were looking for normalized schema
    of general makes info.

    Where VIN describes everyhting about particular vehicle it could be primary
    key for "Actual vehicles" table.

    Anyway,

    I got something like
    tCarMake
    tCarModel
    tCarTrimLevel (which include year)

    tCarOption (which inlcude all availabel options for cars)

    tCarDfltOption (which describe what options preinstalled for specific car
    Trim Level)

    Thanks for VIN info!

    "Joe Celko" <com> wrote in message

    Ivan Guest

  7. #7

    [QUOTE=Joe Celko;470952]>> Want to create DB for cars and models, but not really familiar with
    what the data should be. <<

    cheapestautodatabase.com has year, make, model, and trim information for every major manufacturer from 1930 - 2013.
    Unregistered Guest