Professional Web Applications Themes

LoneTar Airbag discs stopped working... - SCO

Hiya. I run a Sco OpenServer 5.0.6 server and it does great things. Because it is a database server, and runs a critical application I do a manual failover in case of disiaster with a second system that is identically configured, both hardware and software wise. each night we run a backup of the live server and restore it onto the failover server. Last week, while attempting to restore the weekly master teh Airbag Disks spat out a reject error that basically says it can't see any device configured at /dev/rStp0 which is exactly where the tape drive was the ...

  1. #1

    Default LoneTar Airbag discs stopped working...

    Hiya.

    I run a Sco OpenServer 5.0.6 server and it does great things.

    Because it is a database server, and runs a critical application I do
    a manual failover in case of disiaster with a second system that is
    identically configured, both hardware and software wise.

    each night we run a backup of the live server and restore it onto the
    failover server. Last week, while attempting to restore the weekly
    master teh Airbag Disks spat out a reject error that basically says it
    can't see any device configured at /dev/rStp0 which is exactly where
    the tape drive was the week earlier, and infact each week that we've
    done this for the past several years.

    I did a check through the boot process and the tape drive is
    definitely identified by teh DPT device. IT hasn't changed ID or bus
    or lun or anything either. So I am at a bit of a loss. Sadly,
    somehow through all this the drives lost their OS too, when I try to
    boot it give some weird fail message about the first round or first
    attempt or first soemthing.

    Is there anything I can do rather than build my server back from
    scratch?

    Another weird thing is that the LT installation on the live server
    won't create fresh airbag disks for me, either.

    TIA

    Googleboy.
    google account Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: LoneTar Airbag discs stopped working...

    google account wrote:
    > Hiya.
    >
    > I run a Sco OpenServer 5.0.6 server and it does great things.
    >
    > Because it is a database server, and runs a critical application I do
    > a manual failover in case of disiaster with a second system that is
    > identically configured, both hardware and software wise.
    >
    > each night we run a backup of the live server and restore it onto the
    > failover server. Last week, while attempting to restore the weekly
    > master teh Airbag Disks spat out a reject error that basically says it
    > can't see any device configured at /dev/rStp0 which is exactly where
    > the tape drive was the week earlier, and infact each week that we've
    > done this for the past several years.
    >
    > I did a check through the boot process and the tape drive is
    > definitely identified by teh DPT device. IT hasn't changed ID or bus
    > or lun or anything either. So I am at a bit of a loss. Sadly,
    > somehow through all this the drives lost their OS too, when I try to
    > boot it give some weird fail message about the first round or first
    > attempt or first soemthing.
    If you are using a scsi controller with diagnostic, run them now. It
    sounds like there is a problem with the controller, buss, or the drive.

    > Is there anything I can do rather than build my server back from
    > scratch?
    >
    > Another weird thing is that the LT installation on the live server
    > won't create fresh airbag disks for me, either.

    Run diagnostics there too.

    Have you asked for help from Lone-Tar ?
    One of the neatest things about Lone-Tar is the 24 x 7 help that is
    available for just this kind of problem.
    Tech Support is 301-829-1622
    have your license number handy.

    --
    bill
    Technical Service Systems

    unix is user friendly, it is just careful who it befriends

    bill Guest

  3. #3

    bill <net> wrote in news:supernews.com:

    > If you are using a scsi controller with diagnostic, run them now. It
    > sounds like there is a problem with the controller, buss, or the drive.
    > Run diagnostics there too.
    >
    > Have you asked for help from Lone-Tar ?
    > One of the neatest things about Lone-Tar is the 24 x 7 help that is
    > available for just this kind of problem.
    > Tech Support is 301-829-1622
    > have your license number handy.

    >[/ref]

    You might have saved the compressed images of A1 and A2 to the drive
    when the AirBags were created. Might be a good idea to look in the
    Util. menu for AirBag Crash Recovery Disk images.

    If PC1 and PC2 are clones you can use the LT installation on either
    to create viable disks for the other.

    Dave
    Dave Guest