Professional Web Applications Themes

long-duration audio recording? - Mac Applications & Software

Can anyone recommend a low-cost app that will record audio via the standard audio-in port or a USB audio-in dongle for several hours straight? I have a hobby application for which I'd like to record stereo audio direct to disk overnight. Low sample rate is fine or even preferred. OS X preferred, as well. I suspect that trying to record an 8-hour audio file will crash most recording tools, and I don't want to go buying or registering a whole bunch of them at $40-$100 each just to find out. Something I can script (either applescript or a command-line tool ...

  1. #1

    Default long-duration audio recording?

    Can anyone recommend a low-cost app that will record audio via the
    standard audio-in port or a USB audio-in dongle for several hours
    straight?

    I have a hobby application for which I'd like to record stereo audio
    direct to disk overnight. Low sample rate is fine or even preferred.
    OS X preferred, as well.

    I suspect that trying to record an 8-hour audio file will crash most
    recording tools, and I don't want to go buying or registering a whole
    bunch of them at $40-$100 each just to find out.

    Something I can script (either applescript or a command-line tool I
    can automate with perl) to record in separate 1-hour chunks would be
    really cool, just to make the individual files more manageable, but
    isn't necessary.

    I know protools can handle multiple-hour chunks but that's a little
    rich for a hobby app...

    Thanks folks,
    Ev
    Evan Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: long-duration audio recording?

    In article <google.com>,
    com (Evan) wrote:

    You could try the freeware Coaster http://www.visualclick.de

    Unfortunately it does not work in OS X, not even in classic. I have used
    it to record up to about 3 hours. Since it records only in AIFF the
    files can get quite large depending on settings. 500MB per hour I think.
    It is AppleScriptable and includes examples.

    --
    Real Email-> neoluddite0comcast.net <- replace 0 with
    Blue & White G3/400MHz MacOS 9.1, Starmax 3000/200MHz MacOS 8.6

  3. #3

    In article <google.com>,
    com (Evan) wrote:

    For free you could try iMovie. It will record audio all day.

    I use Amadeus II ($25) for my pure audio work, though I've never tried
    it for 8 hours.

    --
    Chicago, IL
    Remove "GO" to reply.

  4. #4

    NeoLuddite <com> wrote in message news:<ash.giganews.com>...
     [/ref]

    > Unfortunately it does not work in OS X, not even in classic. I have used
    > it to record up to about 3 hours. Since it records only in AIFF the
    > files can get quite large depending on settings. 500MB per hour I think.
    > It is AppleScriptable and includes examples.[/ref]

    I found the freeware OS X tool "Audio In" (search on versiontracker).
    I'm setting it up to record overnight, and will post the results...

    File size not a problem; i have 100+ GB free.

    Ev
    Evan Guest

  5. #5

    So when I woke up, "Audio In" was reporting a repeating series of
    negative numbers for recording time. The AIFF file in question was
    not quite 1 second long.

    I'll try iMovie tonight.

    Ev
    Evan Guest

  6. #6

    Evan <com> wrote:

    Amadeus II isn't free, but it makes long recordings very well and is
    good for lots of other things. And you can try it out for free. m.

    --
    matt neuburg, phd = com, http://www.tidbits.com/matt/
    matt Guest

  7. #7

    matt neuburg <com> wrote:

    > Amadeus II isn't free, but it makes long recordings very well and is
    > good for lots of other things. And you can try it out for free. m.[/ref]

    Have a look at Audio Hijack, and see if it will work for you. One of its
    options is to split long recordings into managable chunks.

    --
    Send e-mail to the Reply-To address;
    mail to the From address is never read

  8. #8

    On 2003-10-18, Evan <com> wrote:

    AudioHijack + LineIn, both from RogueAmoeba, will probably handle
    this, although I've never tried to use it for recordings of that
    duration.

    AudioHijack is low-cost payware (not shareware, as RogueAmoeba
    claims), complete with obnoxious non-support -- you'll have to be
    willing to risk buying it without knowing whether or not it will do
    what you want. On the plus side, it includes timer facilities. You
    _may_ need the more expensive AudioHijack Pro if you want to fiddle
    with the sample rate, I'm not sure.

    LineIn is free. The currently available version crashes 10.3 (as in,
    kernel crash). A fix is promised.

    Hugh Guest

  9. #9

    Hugh Wolf <lieder.de> wrote:

    > AudioHijack + LineIn, both from RogueAmoeba, will probably handle
    > this, although I've never tried to use it for recordings of that
    > duration.
    >
    > AudioHijack is low-cost payware (not shareware, as RogueAmoeba
    > claims), complete with obnoxious non-support -- you'll have to be
    > willing to risk buying it without knowing whether or not it will do
    > what you want. On the plus side, it includes timer facilities. You
    > _may_ need the more expensive AudioHijack Pro if you want to fiddle
    > with the sample rate, I'm not sure.
    >
    > LineIn is free. The currently available version crashes 10.3 (as in,
    > kernel crash). A fix is promised.[/ref]

    I'm not sure Hugh made clear that Audio Hijack will only work by itself
    with a digital audio input. It should work fine with a USB input. I
    actually got very good customer support from them but one case doesn't
    make a trend. No reason why it shouldn't work over night if you have a
    spare 4-5 GB on your HD as it lays down the file in AIFF.

    --
    Paul Fuchs
    paulfuchs-at-attglobal-dot-net

  10. #10

    On 2003-10-20, Paul Fuchs <oink> wrote: [/ref]

    A 10.3-compatible release of LineIn appeared an hour or two after my
    post.

    Well, Audio Hijack wants to 'hijack' some other application's audio
    output. So in that sense it never does anything strictly by itself,
    does it? You need another application to play whatever audio you want
    to record. As long as you can play the audio, I don't think it
    matters whether the input is og or digital. For instance if you
    have an older G4 desktop with an og audio-in jack, you can use
    LineIn to play the audio from that source, and then (I think) Audio
    Hijack to record it, no? I haven't actually tried this myself though.

    I consider an imic an essential device...
    Hugh Guest

  11. #11

    Hugh Wolf <lieder.de> wrote:

    What do you consider the difference between the two is?

    Certainly you can download without paying, use the program as far as
    seeing what it can do and reading the information on how it works.

    It is restricted to ten minutes recording if not paid for, but there is
    enough in the unpaid version to enable anyone to decide if it will suit
    them.

    There is perhaps a problem with the design of the site, in that the
    store is easily visible from a tab, whereas the download area is not in
    a tab but is reached by clicking on the individual application.

    I've had support when I needed it, but presumably you didn't.

    As noted, unless the extremely limited recording time is an issue, you
    can easily check whether or not it will do as you want without buying
    it.

  12. #12

    On 2003-10-21, Daniel Cohen <com> wrote:

    > What do you consider the difference between the two is?[/ref]

    A better question is, how is Audio Hijack different from ordinary
    commerical software, given that it only works in a demo mode until you
    pay? For sure it can't be called 'functional' in any meaningful sense
    before it's registered.

    MS released a version of Office which meets this standard. Does that
    make it shareware? Lots of commercial software can be demo'd with a
    free download.

    Hugh Guest

  13. #13

    Hugh Wolf <lieder.de> wrote:
     [/ref]

    > A 10.3-compatible release of LineIn appeared an hour or two after my
    > post.
    >

    > Well, Audio Hijack wants to 'hijack' some other application's audio
    > output. So in that sense it never does anything strictly by itself,
    > does it? You need another application to play whatever audio you want
    > to record. As long as you can play the audio, I don't think it
    > matters whether the input is og or digital. For instance if you
    > have an older G4 desktop with an og audio-in jack, you can use
    > LineIn to play the audio from that source, and then (I think) Audio
    > Hijack to record it, no? I haven't actually tried this myself though.
    >

    > I consider an imic an essential device...[/ref]

    Yeah, now that I think about it, your right. I was refering to the
    og in jack. I only use it with Coaster, so I have to be in OS 9
    which is a pain. Guess one would have to try it, but "hijacking"
    Coaster seems kind of redundant as you are laying down an aiff file
    anyway on your HD.

  14. #14

    Hugh Wolf <lieder.de> wrote:

    > > What do you consider the difference between the two is?[/ref]
    >
    > A better question is, how is Audio Hijack different from ordinary
    > commerical software, given that it only works in a demo mode until you
    > pay? For sure it can't be called 'functional' in any meaningful sense
    > before it's registered.
    >

    > MS released a version of Office which meets this standard. Does that
    > make it shareware? Lots of commercial software can be demo'd with a
    > free download.[/ref]

    Maybe we need a new category, "crippleware."Sorry, better make that
    "challengedware."

  15. #15

    Hugh Wolf <lieder.de> wrote:

    Agreed. But do you mean that a program can only be called shareware if
    it is fully functional even if the user chooses not to pay. It's an
    arguable case, but I don't think many people would accept it.

    Plenty of programs that are usually considered shareware have limited
    functionality unless one pays.

  16. #16

    Umm I thinkl I missed the original qn.
    But my answer is QuickTimeBroadcaster, free from Apple.
    records .aiff, mp4, and a few others.
    For live concert work I find mp4 adequate
    except for the most delicate classical stuff...

    Duration? The Broadcaster window has positions for
    ddd:hh:mm:ss, but an .sdp file reports to QT Player
    that its duration is 999 hours 52 m.

    128kb/s stereo mp4 records on the fly at abt 100MB/hr
    ~= 48 days on a 120G disk. Except I haven't checked if it's
    still paralysed by a 2Gb file size thingy.
    Peter Guest

  17. #17

    On 2003-10-21, Daniel Cohen <com> wrote:

    > Agreed. But do you mean that a program can only be called shareware if
    > it is fully functional even if the user chooses not to pay.[/ref]

    If a free demo version is enough to make a piece of software
    "shareware", then Micrsoft Word is shareware. Does that sound
    plausible to you? If not, then this is not enough to make Audio
    Hijack shareware either.

    Hugh Guest

  18. #18

    Peter KERR <domain> wrote:

    Holy schla-moly! This has got to be the best-kept secret of all time.
    Absolutely brilliant. And to think I never knew about this... I have
    nothing to broadcast, so it never occurred to me to investigate a
    program called QuickTime Broadcaster. So *this* is where Apple's free
    recording app has been hidden all this time. Thanks, Peter, for opening
    my eyes. m.

  19. #19

    Hugh Wolf <lieder.de> wrote:

    Well, my take on it is this:

    I consider something shareware if it is primarily distributed online,
    i.e. not in shrinkwrapped boxes in commercial stores, in which the full
    version of the program is freely downloadable to try out for a period of time
    before registration is required.

    Microsoft Word is not primarily distributed on the web, it is a shrinkwrapped
    commercial product. Audio Hijack, as far as I know, is not.

    Kevin Guest

  20. #20

    This is not a direct answer to the question being asked, but my solution to
    the problem of long-duration audio recording does have some advantages. I
    like to record NPR morning and afternoon programs to listen to while in
    travel. I originally did this with SoundJam under MacOS 9; but last spring I
    stumbled on the Archos Jukebox Recorder, which will take line-in from my
    stereo and record an mp3 for as long as I want. It is VBR, with adjustable
    quality. I can then just listen to the Jukebox at my pleasure.

    Drawbacks: It is relatively expensive (several $100, depending on model).
    The Jukebox is somewhat sensitive to static electricity, so when it is cold
    and dry I have to remember to ground myself. The connection on mine is USB,
    not FireWire (although they have a new model with FireWire), which is
    relatively slow when transferring files. The OS on the JukeBox is relatively
    primitive, but it works.

    Bill

    --
    Bill Jefferys/Department of Astronomy/University of Texas/Austin, TX 78712
    Email: replace 'warthog' with 'clyde' | Homepage: http://quasar.as.utexas.edu

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast