Professional Web Applications Themes

Long OS X-filenames->Windoze - Mac Applications & Software

How can I copy files with long OS X-names to a Windoze 2000-server? Thanks in advance -- Klaus Sapion mailto:de...

  1. #1

    Default Long OS X-filenames->Windoze

    --
    Klaus Sapion
    mailto:de

  2. #2

    Default Re: Long OS X-filenames->Windoze

    Klaus Sapion <de> wrote in comp.sys.mac.system:

    > > Windoze? Grow up.
    > >
    > > Umm, drag the files from OSuX to the Windows 2000 server? See how
    > > childish these deliberate mis-spellings look?
    > >
    > > Jim[/ref]
    >
    > How about an answer that really helps?[/ref]

    Welcome to Usenet. Want your money back?

    Anno
    Anno Guest

  3. #3

    In article <com>,
    forge <bellsouth.net> wrote:

    > >Windoze? Grow up.
    > >
    > >Umm, drag the files from OSuX to the Windows 2000 server? See how
    > >childish these deliberate mis-spellings look?[/ref]
    >
    > ...and then Windows barks back "Waah!!! That filename's too
    > looooong!!! Waaahhh!!!"
    >
    > See how stupid you look answering a question you don't know the
    > fricking answer to?
    >[/ref]

    I think the prior poster did know the answer. I do this fairly
    frequently. I have _never_ been told the name is too long. I _have_ been
    told that the copy couldn't succeed because the filename contains
    characters that the SMB server can't use in names, but that's a
    completely different problem.

    Gregory Guest

  4. #4

    In article <newsguy.com>,
    Charles Dyer <com> wrote:

    > As long as they're 256 xtrs or shorter, you should be able to ftp them or
    > copy them directly. What kind of connection do you have?[/ref]

    I have tried it again to give more precise information. No files with
    more than 31 characters can be copied. Wrong characters are not the
    problem. Our Macs are connected to the WIN-server via gigabit-ethernet
    and a switch.

    --
    Klaus Sapion
    mailto:de

  5. #5

    On Wed, 06 Aug 2003 11:44:10 +0200,
    Klaus Sapion (de) wrote:

    > I have tried it again to give more precise information. No files with
    > more than 31 characters can be copied. Wrong characters are not the
    > problem. Our Macs are connected to the WIN-server via gigabit-ethernet
    > and a switch.[/ref]

    Hi Klaus,

    What connection protocol are you using? Are you transferring the files
    using FTP, AFP or SMB? If you use SMB or FTP, you should have be able
    to copy files with upto 256 characters in the file name.

    If you use AFP, make sure you use an AFP client that supports AFP 3.1.
    The old version of PC/Maclan I have doesn't. I haven't tried copying
    files with long file-names using it, but I can understand if it fails.
    AFP 2.2 and lower don't support filenames longer than 31 characters.

    Bev
    --
    Bev A. Kupf
    Bev's House of Pancakes

  6. #6

    "forge" <bellsouth.net> wrote in message

    It's probably because the Mac font information is in the resource fork
    in those font files. (It isn't always, with fonts, some are in the data fork.)

    If the resource fork isn't surviving the trip, you'll get an empty file.

    I'm not sure what is supposed to happen to the resource fork.

    Jonathan Guest

  7. #7

    On Thu, 07 Aug 2003 01:57:50 GMT, "Bev A. Kupf"
    <mimnet.northwestern.edu> wrote:

    It's a Win2K Server with Mac Services for Windows running on three of
    its shared directories.

    forge Guest

  8. #8

    On Wed, 06 Aug 2003 23:07:20 -0400,
    forge (bellsouth.net) wrote:

    > It's a Win2K Server with Mac Services for Windows running on three of
    > its shared directories.[/ref]

    That's the problem. Services for Macintosh (SFM) on Win2k is AFP2.2
    compliant -- by protocol definition it only supports 31-character names.

    You need to install an AFP3.x compliant AFP server on the Win2k machine
    to transfer files with upto 256 characters in the file name.

    There are two that I know of:
    a) ExtremeZ-IP (version 3.0) supports AFP3.1
    http://www.grouplogic.com/products/extreme/overview.cfm
    b) PC/Maclan version 9.0
    http://www.miramar.com

    As you've discovered, and other posts in this thread have noted --
    transfers using SMB seems to not transfer the resource fork. And
    AFP2.2 compliant servers like Win2k services for macintosh will not
    handle files whose names exceed 31 characters.

    It's a dilemma, but in your situation if you have lots of files that
    need to be transfered with long file names, it might be cost-effective
    to invest in ExtremeZ-IP or PC/Maclan.

    Take care,
    Bev
    --
    Bev A. Kupf
    Bev's House of Pancakes

  9. #9

    "Bev A. Kupf" <mimnet.northwestern.edu> wrote in message

    Actually, why are resource-based font files being transferred onto
    Windows at all? I wonder if the wrong problem is being dealt with
    here, and being obscured by the 31 character name limit and the
    resource fork problem.

    The resource-based font files almost certainly won't work on Windows,
    even if the resource fork was preserved.

    If the files are only going on the Windows network temporarily, en
    route to another Mac, then a solution might just be to make a disk
    image or Stuffit archive, put the files on it and transfer the disk image
    onto the Windows box.

    Jonathan Guest

  10. #10

    On Thu, 07 Aug 2003 04:02:02 GMT, "Bev A. Kupf"
    <mimnet.northwestern.edu> wrote:

    Thanks Bev, I'll talk it over with the head of IT in the morning. You
    da bomb.

    It's not so much that I have a lot of files with long filenames, but
    that my OS X 10.2.6 machine will let me name things the server with
    its current AFP won't accept. As noted earlier it makes for major
    frustration. So yeah, thank you thank you thank you.

    Now if I could just get an OS X email client that will see the
    Exchange server's global address book, I'd never have to worry about
    filename lengths again... or for that matter ever boot Classic again,
    once we've upgraded to Quark 6.... sigh, eventually...

    forge Guest

  11. #11

    On Thu, 07 Aug 2003 04:12:19 GMT, "Jonathan Hendry"
    <netcom.com> wrote:

    Hmm, that's a possibility, but tedious. We're a creative group and
    it's our main fileserver, so jobs go up and come down from those
    shares all day long, from the designer to the production artist to the
    prepress guy (me), then back up on the server 'til I can get the jobs
    backed up to CD. I consider the server the safest place because it
    gets backed up to tape every night and our Mac workstations don't.

    I keep our library of fonts on a share too so that if one becomes
    corrupt on one of the Macs it's easy to just pull down another copy,
    rather than have to go back to my CD archives.

    forge Guest

  12. #12

    > Hmm, that's a possibility, but tedious. We're a creative group and
    > it's our main fileserver, so jobs go up and come down from those
    > shares all day long, from the designer to the production artist to the
    > prepress guy (me), then back up on the server 'til I can get the jobs
    > backed up to CD. I consider the server the safest place because it
    > gets backed up to tape every night and our Mac workstations don't.[/ref]

    Do fonts get shipped around that way during the day,
    with the rest of the working files?

    If not, then you could use SMB for the main working
    fileserver duties. That'd handle the long filenames.

    Then you just need another solution for the fonts. An
    image-based solution might work for that.

    Or, have you thought about making one or more of the Macs
    serve double duty, sharing its copy of the font library
    to the other Macs?

    Jonathan Guest

  13. #13

    On Thu, 07 Aug 2003 05:08:37 GMT,
    Jonathan Hendry (netcom.com) wrote:

    That is a really good idea -- and doesn't require any expensive
    purchases (such as ExtremeZ-IP, or PC/Maclan -- as I suggested).

    You could simply have one share exported using SMB on the Win2K
    machine, and a folder within that share called "fonts" exported
    using Services for Macintosh.

    Regards,
    Bev
    --
    Bev A. Kupf
    Bev's House of Pancakes

  14. #14

    In article <com>,
    forge <bellsouth.net> wrote:

    > Hmm, well I suppose they don't *need* to be... if I strip the fonts
    > out of a package I've already burned to CD and shipped, it'd save some
    > server space too... we like to keep 'em together "just in case" but
    > it's not totally necessary. Plus if we redo a job I re-collect fonts
    > and images anyway using FlightCheck.

    > This is true... I could put SMB-sensitive files on a separate share
    > and open that via AFP and all the others using SMB...

    > This is also a possibility. Thanks for the ideas!!!!
    >[/ref]

    Thanks for all the info. I think we will try extremeZ-IP.

    --
    Klaus Sapion
    mailto:de

  15. #15

    > Now if I could just get an OS X email client that will see the

    See if this is any help:

    http://www.microsoft.com/mac/products/entouragex/entouragex.aspx?pid=exch
    angeupdate

    Tim Guest