Professional Web Applications Themes

Longtime user, now getting the "You can't edit this pagenow because you are already editing it" message. - Macromedia Contribute Connection Administrtion

I've successfully used Contribute with several sites and several web hosts. I mention web hosts because the this seems to be the only significant difference between this site and other sites I edit with Contribute. I don't have this problem with my other sites. The problem: When I edit a page and then either "publish" or "cancel" I get this error message at the top of the page: "You can't edit this page now because you are already editing it on another computer. Click here to make this page editable." If I "click here," I get an "access denied" alert. ...

  1. #1

    Default Longtime user, now getting the "You can't edit this pagenow because you are already editing it" message.

    I've successfully used Contribute with several sites and several web hosts. I
    mention web hosts because the this seems to be the only significant difference
    between this site and other sites I edit with Contribute. I don't have this
    problem with my other sites.

    The problem:

    When I edit a page and then either "publish" or "cancel" I get this error
    message at the top of the page:
    "You can't edit this page now because you are already editing it on another
    computer. Click here to make this page editable."

    If I "click here," I get an "access denied" alert.

    The result is, I can't edit the page again. However, if I wait a few minutes
    and click around the site and then come back to the same page, it is editable
    again. But I've built this site for a client and I don't think he should have
    to put up with that.

    I've been through the forum and I've seen this issue come up again and again.
    I know about the .LCK file. I see it appearing and disappearing as I edit files
    in Contribute. I also know that when I get the "you can't edit this page now"
    message, the .LCK file is gone. Why doesn't Contribue recognize that?

    Contribute is not freezing or crashing during the "cancel" or "publish"
    process. So, this is not an issue where a single .LCK file is orphaned because
    Contribute crashed during the "publish" process.

    ScottsdaleAZ Guest

  2. #2

    I am the admin for a site using Contribute and CPS. I have about 30 or so users
    and only one person keeps having this problem. I have done the same with
    manually deleting the lock file. Could it be a permissions problem or
    something. Both me and my user are becoming slightly frustrated.

    JoeyTMann Guest

  3. #3

    If you discover why this one user is having the problem and the other users aren't, please let me know. If I find out anything new, I'll be sure to post the information here.
    ScottsdaleAZ Guest

  4. #4

    Will do. I take it this is happening to more than one user for you?
    JoeyTMann Guest

  5. #5

    just noticed that the wait and come back in a few minutes isn't working for my user.
    JoeyTMann Guest

  6. #6

    I'm having the same problem. I just started using Contribute 3 and thought
    their was something simple that I was missing. I set up my first Contribute 3
    customer and thought I would test out the connection key on another computer.
    It stated that I couldn't edit the page because Michael (me) was doing it
    already. I didn't see any area to log out in contribute so I selected
    file->exit and in dreamweaver it states that I am not checked in.

    So . . .
    What .Lck file do I delete?

    and. . .
    Has this problem ever been solved?

    or. . .
    Did I just do something wrong or missed something?

    amrock Guest

  7. #7

    Go to the directory of the page you are attempting to edit. There you will find the .lck file, its name is the same as the page you are attempting to edit with .lck at the end.
    JoeyTMann Guest

  8. #8

    Hi,
    Just thought it might be useful to link topics as they're very similar. If any
    one resolves this issue properly (not by FTPing in and deleting the lock file)
    please post here.

    [url]http://www.adobe.com/cfusion/webforums/forum/messageview.cfm?catid=302&threadid=[/url]
    1182471&CFID=14434572&CFTOKEN=87eb09a11aeade2f-A98BAC13-A155-E683-228FBAC226FCDD
    EE&jsessionid=963082542a1346834653

    Thanks

    ShiverSol Guest