Professional Web Applications Themes

Longtime user, now getting the "You can't edit thispage now because you are already editing it" message. - Macromedia Contribute General Discussion

This is what is happening to me as well. This particular client has been using Contribute over a year now. I am reading about this over and over again in the forums, yet only one response from Adobe. I am very concerned that many of the folks who used to help from MM are no longer responding to posts. Adobe? Can you please help us out with this? I currently have a customer with a website that they can no longer edit their main page. This effects not only their disabled clients, but the search engines as well. Thanks in ...

  1. #1

    Default Re: Longtime user, now getting the "You can't edit thispage now because you are already editing it" message.

    This is what is happening to me as well. This particular client has been using
    Contribute over a year now.

    I am reading about this over and over again in the forums, yet only one
    response from Adobe. I am very concerned that many of the folks who used to
    help from MM are no longer responding to posts. Adobe? Can you please help us
    out with this? I currently have a customer with a website that they can no
    longer edit their main page. This effects not only their disabled clients, but
    the search engines as well.

    Thanks in advance for your kind assistance.

    Originally posted by: jimgub
    I agree.. I am having the same problem... if you wait about a minute it
    appears that the page is allowed for edit again. Very Strange, and annoying
    for clients.

    RooZam Guest

  2. #2

    So, has anyone found a solution for this? I'm having the same problem. I've come back after closing Contribute, and it still won't let me Edit ..
    Joe Wood Guest

  3. #3

    I'm the administrator on our Contribute site and have had contact me about
    this. I'll log in and open their page (while Contribute is not even OPEN on
    their end) and sure enough it says they are currently editing that page. But
    because I'm the administrator, it also gives me a link on that same line that
    says, "click here to unlock this file". When I do that, the end user can open
    Contribute and the file is editable on their end. I'm not sure if you have
    access to your administrator for this kind of help, but it also seems to me
    that the lock/unlock feature with the .LCK file is hitting a bug. HTH!

    redbarron Guest

  4. #4

    Hi there and thanks for your reply! ;-),

    I am also the administrator, but have not seen anything (using Contribute 3.1)
    as you describe allowing me to unlock a file. Can you attach a screen shot?

    In answer to the previous post, I did solve this issue, but in a manner I
    would prefer not to. I believe that must be some other way.

    I first deleted the .lck file. While that eliminated the locked file problem,
    neither the user nor I as the Administrator had access to the "Edit Page"
    button as it was grayed out. I then went into Dreamweaver, made one of the
    changes she was trying to make, and ftp'd in, deleted the existing page, and
    sending the new file up. At this point the "Edit Page" button was there, but
    would not respond to clicks.

    I fixed this problem by ftp'ing in, deleting both the _mm and the _notes
    directories, and helping the user go back through the key process. That is the
    only thing that worked for me.

    By the way, this problem occured because the user (the only person who edits
    their site) saw an option to send for review and I was listed since I am the
    administrator. She wanted someone else to look at it, so she chose to send it
    to me for review. Reviewing is not set up for this client. She got no
    message, no nothing. When I logged into Contribute, that file was not sitting
    in drafts for me.

    Hope this helps.

    Thanks,

    Suzanne

    Originally posted by: redbarron

  5. #5

    This forum doesn't let me insert a picture, so feel free to email me if you
    want a screen capture of what this looks like to me. But here's the
    explanation:

    When I click on the "here" link to unlock the file, it warns me that (in this
    case) Madge isn't going to be able to publish the page presumably because it's
    still being edited by me. This isn't exactly the message I get (hard to
    te); the actually message is the one you mentioned in your post, and the
    link I click on says something like, "Click here to unlock this page". But
    it's like the one above. My administrative settings are pretty typical and I
    looked to see if there was a particular setting for "locked" files and didn't
    find any. I think it's just a .LCK file that doesn't get deleted by CPS the
    way it should. Annoying but at least there's this work-around.

    I think this link actually accomplishes what you describe as having done to
    get rid of the .LCK file. When I click the link, the page becomes immediately
    editable for the user (I've got them on the phone), the EDIT button becomes
    active and they're off to the races. Weird. I'm trying not to think about
    messing with the _mm folders or anything. I'm hoping the next upgrade to
    Contribute smooths out the administration a bit.

    Hope this helps!

    redbarron Guest

  6. #6

    OK, I found the solution! For me anyway ..

    I used a FTP, and went in to my website's files, then deleted all the .LCK (Lock) files.

    Now I can get back to work!
    Joe Wood Guest