Professional Web Applications Themes

Look and feel in Redhat 9 - Linux Setup, Configuration & Administration

Hello, Redhat 9 has changed the looks if KDE (and also of GNOME), adding a touch of RH. I am on RH9 and would like to go back to the original look an feel of KDE. I downloaded the KDE version 3.1.3. I installed Kdebase and Kdelibs. Then I restarted KDE with kdestart. Still I get the same RH9 KDE, with the same icons etc. How can I go back (or forward) to the original KDE? Am I missing something? Regards Marmagya...

  1. #1

    Default Look and feel in Redhat 9

    Hello,
    Redhat 9 has changed the looks if KDE (and also of GNOME), adding
    a touch of RH. I am on RH9 and would like to go back to the original
    look an feel of KDE. I downloaded the KDE version 3.1.3. I installed
    Kdebase and Kdelibs. Then I restarted KDE with kdestart. Still I get the
    same RH9 KDE, with the same icons etc.
    How can I go back (or forward) to the original KDE? Am I missing
    something?

    Regards
    Marmagya

    Marmagya Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Look and feel in Redhat 9

    On Fri, 05 Sep 2003 13:23:01 +0530, Marmagya wrote:
    > Redhat 9 has changed the looks if KDE (and also of GNOME), adding
    > a touch of RH. I am on RH9 and would like to go back to the original
    > look an feel of KDE. I downloaded the KDE version 3.1.3. I installed
    > Kdebase and Kdelibs. Then I restarted KDE with kdestart. Still I get the
    > same RH9 KDE, with the same icons etc.
    > How can I go back (or forward) to the original KDE? Am I missing
    > something?
    What specific aspects of the look and feel are you most concerned
    about? Have you experimented with themes in Control Center?

    Ed Murphy Guest

  3. #3

    Hi,
    Yes, I tried all that. Themes are fine, I would like to have the
    same KDE style of start menu etc. The current look and feel is not bad.
    But I am trying to find why did I not get the typical KDE feel despite
    installing the newer KDE.
    There is another distribution available called the PCQLinux,
    which is based on Redhat linux. PCQ is a group that publishes a journal.
    They used to periodically comeout with a CD with Redhat linux
    distribution on it. For some agreement related issues with RH, they came
    up with their own distribution called the PCQLinux8 which draws heavily
    from RH8. They gave it their own look and feel, and KDE on their
    distribution looks even more different. Also I am not happy with the
    Konsole that comes with this, it leaves garbage on the screen if you use
    the whole screen, like while seeing a man page or editing a file with
    vim. I would like to change the look and feel of this installation. I do
    not want to uninstall it because the softwares I use work well on it,
    though I found certain problems in getting them work properly on RH9.
    I am not blaming RH9 for this, may be this is not their problem,
    but rather than spending time on this, I would stay with the
    installation that works. Hence I asked the question about how I can get
    the newer KDE working if I install it on top of a working (older) KDE. I
    would like get rid of the garbage that Konsole leaves on the screen.

    Regards
    Marmagya

  4. #4

    Marmagya wrote:
    > Hi,
    > Yes, I tried all that. Themes are fine, I would like to have the
    > same KDE style of start menu etc. The current look and feel is not bad.
    > But I am trying to find why did I not get the typical KDE feel despite
    > installing the newer KDE.
    > There is another distribution available called the PCQLinux,
    > which is based on Redhat linux. PCQ is a group that publishes a journal.
    > They used to periodically comeout with a CD with Redhat linux
    > distribution on it. For some agreement related issues with RH, they came
    > up with their own distribution called the PCQLinux8 which draws heavily
    > from RH8. They gave it their own look and feel, and KDE on their
    > distribution looks even more different. Also I am not happy with the
    > Konsole that comes with this, it leaves garbage on the screen if you use
    > the whole screen, like while seeing a man page or editing a file with
    > vim. I would like to change the look and feel of this installation. I do
    > not want to uninstall it because the softwares I use work well on it,
    > though I found certain problems in getting them work properly on RH9.
    > I am not blaming RH9 for this, may be this is not their problem,
    > but rather than spending time on this, I would stay with the
    > installation that works. Hence I asked the question about how I can get
    > the newer KDE working if I install it on top of a working (older) KDE. I
    > would like get rid of the garbage that Konsole leaves on the screen.
    >
    > Regards
    > Marmagya

    What if you try >preferences >desktop settings wizard and select the
    standard KDE theme. You might have to manually select the icons though.

    Rich.
    Richard R Guest

  5. #5

    On Fri, 05 Sep 2003 13:23:01 +0530, Marmagya wrote:
    > Hello,
    > Redhat 9 has changed the looks if KDE (and also of GNOME), adding
    > a touch of RH. I am on RH9 and would like to go back to the original
    > look an feel of KDE. I downloaded the KDE version 3.1.3. I installed
    > Kdebase and Kdelibs. Then I restarted KDE with kdestart. Still I get the
    > same RH9 KDE, with the same icons etc.
    > How can I go back (or forward) to the original KDE? Am I missing
    > something?
    >
    > Regards
    > Marmagya

    Everything to change the appearance is right there in the Control Center.
    Freeride Guest

  6. #6

    Freeride wrote:
    > On Fri, 05 Sep 2003 13:23:01 +0530, Marmagya wrote:
    >

    >>Hello,
    >> Redhat 9 has changed the looks if KDE (and also of GNOME), adding
    >>a touch of RH. I am on RH9 and would like to go back to the original
    >>look an feel of KDE. I downloaded the KDE version 3.1.3. I installed
    >>Kdebase and Kdelibs. Then I restarted KDE with kdestart. Still I get the
    >>same RH9 KDE, with the same icons etc.
    >> How can I go back (or forward) to the original KDE? Am I missing
    >>something?
    >>
    >>Regards
    >>Marmagya
    >

    > Everything to change the appearance is right there in the Control Center.
    Q: How do you get back the scrollable virtual space in the window
    managers as opposed to the distinct workspaces.

    A: You can't, the new window managers don't support that. You basically
    have to replace them with something like "vtwm" and add them to your
    local configuration by hand.

    Nico Kadel-Garcia Guest