good: is compiled and very completed no good: is a bit complicated (like a new language) phpLib? templateTimer? 2) QUESTION using template: how about this scenario: Inside a form I have two combo: the user choice of the first one determine the values shown into the second one OR the user check of a checkbox determine the presence or not of some input fields SO how about html defined dinamically during the user interaction? how can I define a template for it? (now I have something like... if($user_choice=="first") then print("")! !#$%! ** easly add/del functionality (modularity) with xml, of course.. 1) how about using xml with php 4.2.2? it sounds to be a bit dangerouse... **db - no db portability is required but... pearDB or ADOdb? thanks for you help! laura [allowsmilie] => 1 [showsignature] => 0 [ipaddress] => [iconid] => 0 [visible] => 1 [attach] => 0 [infraction] => 0 [reportthreadid] => 0 [isusenetpost] => 1 [msgid] => [ref] => [htmlstate] => on_nl2br [postusername] => laura [ip] => biru43@yahoo.it [isdeleted] => 0 [usergroupid] => [membergroupids] => [displaygroupid] => [password] => [passworddate] => [email] => [styleid] => [parentemail] => [homepage] => [icq] => [aim] => [yahoo] => [msn] => [skype] => [showvbcode] => [showbirthday] => [usertitle] => [customtitle] => [joindate] => [daysprune] => [lastvisit] => [lastactivity] => [lastpost] => [lastpostid] => [posts] => [reputation] => [reputationlevelid] => [timezoneoffset] => [pmpopup] => [avatarid] => [avatarrevision] => [profilepicrevision] => [sigpicrevision] => [options] => [akvbghsfs_optionsfield] => [birthday] => [birthday_search] => [maxposts] => [startofweek] => [referrerid] => [languageid] => [emailstamp] => [threadedmode] => [autosubscribe] => [pmtotal] => [pmunread] => [salt] => [ipoints] => [infractions] => [warnings] => [infractiongroupids] => [infractiongroupid] => [adminoptions] => [profilevisits] => [friendcount] => [friendreqcount] => [vmunreadcount] => [vmmoderatedcount] => [socgroupinvitecount] => [socgroupreqcount] => [pcunreadcount] => [pcmoderatedcount] => [gmmoderatedcount] => [assetposthash] => [fbuserid] => [fbjoindate] => [fbname] => [logintype] => [fbaccesstoken] => [newrepcount] => [vbseo_likes_in] => [vbseo_likes_out] => [vbseo_likes_unread] => [temp] => [field1] => [field2] => [field3] => [field4] => [field5] => [subfolders] => [pmfolders] => [buddylist] => [ignorelist] => [signature] => [searchprefs] => [rank] => [icontitle] => [iconpath] => [avatarpath] => [hascustomavatar] => 0 [avatardateline] => [avwidth] => [avheight] => [edit_userid] => [edit_username] => [edit_dateline] => [edit_reason] => [hashistory] => [pagetext_html] => [hasimages] => [signatureparsed] => [sighasimages] => [sigpic] => [sigpicdateline] => [sigpicwidth] => [sigpicheight] => [postcount] => 2 [islastshown] => [isfirstshown] => [attachments] => [allattachments] => ) --> good: is compiled and very completed > no good: is a bit complicated (like a new language) > phpLib? > templateTimer?[/quote] Smarty is the one. Its really not that hard to learn since it really just puts a tag wrapper around common PHP functions. Its easy to package up with your applications and it compiles the templates and caches them which is good too. Use it. [quote] > > 2) QUESTION using template: > how about this scenario: > Inside a form I have two combo: > the user choice of the first one determine the values shown into the second > one > OR > the user check of a checkbox determine the presence or not of some input > fields > SO > how about html defined dinamically during the user interaction? > how can I define a template for it? > (now I have something like... if($user_choice=="first") then > print("")! !#$%![/quote] Some options here and I will do my best to outline them below: 1) use javascript which opens up all of the browser dependecy worms. I try to limit my use of javascript to activating entries in a form and that is it. The browser headaches aren't worth the rest of the supposed benefit. if you really must use javascript, use CSS Layers (with some reliable javascript DOM actions) to hide and unhide parts of the interface based on the selection. Here is a good article on this trick [url]http://developer.apple.com/internet/javascript/hideshow_layer.html[/url] 2) Just seperate the single form into multiple pages with 1 form per page with standard http requests to guide the user through the process. The last option isn't as flashy, but sure is a heck of a lot easier to implement. [quote] > > ** easly add/del functionality (modularity) > with xml, of course.. > 1) how about using xml with php 4.2.2? it sounds to be a bit dangerouse...[/quote] In what context are you considering using xml? What does it have to do with adding and deleting functionality? Are you talking about configuring the application based on user roles and priviledges? [quote] > > **db > - no db portability is required but... pearDB or ADOdb? >[/quote] If no portability is required consider using the built in functions for the your database. They are the fastest but at least build some kind of Data Access Object layer around them so that if you ever do need to change DBs, then you only have to rebuild your DAOs and the application will be un-modified. Wes Bailey [email]wesley_bailey@agile-project.com[/email] [allowsmilie] => 1 [showsignature] => 0 [ipaddress] => [iconid] => 0 [visible] => 1 [attach] => 0 [infraction] => 0 [reportthreadid] => 0 [isusenetpost] => 1 [msgid] => [ref] => [htmlstate] => on_nl2br [postusername] => Wes Bailey [ip] => wesley_bailey@y [isdeleted] => 0 [usergroupid] => [membergroupids] => [displaygroupid] => [password] => [passworddate] => [email] => [styleid] => [parentemail] => [homepage] => [icq] => [aim] => [yahoo] => [msn] => [skype] => [showvbcode] => [showbirthday] => [usertitle] => [customtitle] => [joindate] => [daysprune] => [lastvisit] => [lastactivity] => [lastpost] => [lastpostid] => [posts] => [reputation] => [reputationlevelid] => [timezoneoffset] => [pmpopup] => [avatarid] => [avatarrevision] => [profilepicrevision] => [sigpicrevision] => [options] => [akvbghsfs_optionsfield] => [birthday] => [birthday_search] => [maxposts] => [startofweek] => [referrerid] => [languageid] => [emailstamp] => [threadedmode] => [autosubscribe] => [pmtotal] => [pmunread] => [salt] => [ipoints] => [infractions] => [warnings] => [infractiongroupids] => [infractiongroupid] => [adminoptions] => [profilevisits] => [friendcount] => [friendreqcount] => [vmunreadcount] => [vmmoderatedcount] => [socgroupinvitecount] => [socgroupreqcount] => [pcunreadcount] => [pcmoderatedcount] => [gmmoderatedcount] => [assetposthash] => [fbuserid] => [fbjoindate] => [fbname] => [logintype] => [fbaccesstoken] => [newrepcount] => [vbseo_likes_in] => [vbseo_likes_out] => [vbseo_likes_unread] => [temp] => [field1] => [field2] => [field3] => [field4] => [field5] => [subfolders] => [pmfolders] => [buddylist] => [ignorelist] => [signature] => [searchprefs] => [rank] => [icontitle] => [iconpath] => [avatarpath] => [hascustomavatar] => 0 [avatardateline] => [avwidth] => [avheight] => [edit_userid] => [edit_username] => [edit_dateline] => [edit_reason] => [hashistory] => [pagetext_html] => [hasimages] => [signatureparsed] => [sighasimages] => [sigpic] => [sigpicdateline] => [sigpicwidth] => [sigpicheight] => [postcount] => 3 [islastshown] => [isfirstshown] => [attachments] => [allattachments] => ) --> Look for a web designer - PHP Development

Look for a web designer - PHP Development

I'm working on an OpenSource project, and I'm looking for a web designer to write and administer the web site associated with the project. The project is a free (no money involved) project, and there's no money involved, but it will be a great experience if anybody is interested in being the web master of the project. The project is a RPG (Role Playing Game) that has a religious theme to it. The user must search out a bible for an alternate earth. In the big bang created by the Unknown; it created gods. A war breaks out with the ...

  1. #1

    Default Look for a web designer

    I'm working on an OpenSource project, and I'm looking for a web designer to
    write and administer the web site associated with the project. The project
    is a free (no money involved) project, and there's no money involved, but it
    will be a great experience if anybody is interested in being the web master
    of the project.

    The project is a RPG (Role Playing Game) that has a religious theme to it.
    The user must search out a bible for an alternate earth. In the big bang
    created by the Unknown; it created gods. A war breaks out with the gods, and
    the Unknown sends an Angel to give the god of Truth. But the God of Lies
    steals the bible, and breaks the bible apart and hides it in Earth. The
    title of the game is called Children of the Sun.

    Children of the Sun is a text-centric game, based on AD&D. It will contain
    graphics but the main feature of the game is text.

    The site hosting the project, SourceForge, has a lot of features for web
    hosting. Such as CGI, PHP. The web server runs Linux (DOS on steroids), and
    you will need to learn or know Linux commands. Also, the web server doesn't
    use FTP; but SSH (Secure Shell) to transfer the web site.

    Also, I would prefer custom graphics for the site..

    The project that Children of the Sun superseded is called Children of Fire.
    It's the same project; but was for Linux. The site, written by me, is at
    [url]http://childoffire.sourceforge.net[/url] .

    SourceForge is used to host OpenSource projects.. It's the biggest site that
    I know of Open Source projects.. You will need to register an account there.
    But before you do that, e-mail me at [email]rpg_manusers.sourceforge.net[/email] if your
    interested..

    - Edward Principe

    Edward Principe Guest

  2. #2

    Default templates and other devilry

    hi all! need help...
    this is my target:
    make an administration website (so mainly insert/update/delete record from
    db, few logic)

    my requirement:
    - separate logic from presentation
    - easly add/del functionality (modularity)
    - mysql db
    - php 4.2.2 (perhaps 4.3) (because of redhat 9)
    there isn't any performance or portability reqs.

    I'm a newbie for php, I need to decide library and the structure for this
    website.

    Can anyway correct (and, eventually, integrate) my thoughts?

    **separate logic from pres:
    - using template

    1) which one?
    smarty --> good: is compiled and very completed
    no good: is a bit complicated (like a new language)
    phpLib?
    templateTimer?

    2) QUESTION using template:
    how about this scenario:
    Inside a form I have two combo:
    the user choice of the first one determine the values shown into the second
    one
    OR
    the user check of a checkbox determine the presence or not of some input
    fields
    SO
    how about html defined dinamically during the user interaction?
    how can I define a template for it?
    (now I have something like... if($user_choice=="first") then
    print("<INPUT.....>")! !#$%!

    ** easly add/del functionality (modularity)
    with xml, of course..
    1) how about using xml with php 4.2.2? it sounds to be a bit dangerouse...

    **db
    - no db portability is required but... pearDB or ADOdb?

    thanks for you help!

    laura

    laura Guest

  3. #3

    Default Re: templates and other devilry

    Hi Laura,

    Well I will try and help you out. You are definitely on the right
    track wanting to seperate the logic from the content. It will make
    you application go a lot more smoothly.

    Wes Bailey Guest

  4. #4

    Default Re: Look for a web designer

    "Edward Principe" <principicannet.com> wrote in message
    > I'm working on an OpenSource project, and I'm looking for a web designer
    > write and administer the web site associated with the project. The project
    > is a free (no money involved) project, and there's no money involved, but
    it
    > will be a great experience if anybody is interested in being the web
    master
    > of the project.

    Here's a freebie for you

    <center><h1><b>Children of The Sun</b></h1>
    color="1337F0"
    (actualy, it wasn't. Why take on a project when you don't know how to code
    in the first place? If any of us wanted a project leader, we would expect
    the project leader to be paying us. Now if you'll excuse me, I must return
    Happy Role Playing!

    > The project is a RPG (Role Playing Game) that has a religious theme to it.
    > The user must search out a bible for an alternate earth. In the big bang
    > created by the Unknown; it created gods. A war breaks out with the gods,
    and
    > the Unknown sends an Angel to give the god of Truth. But the God of Lies
    > steals the bible, and breaks the bible apart and hides it in Earth. The
    > title of the game is called Children of the Sun.
    >

    > Children of the Sun is a text-centric game, based on AD&D. It will contain
    > graphics but the main feature of the game is text.
    >

    > The site hosting the project, SourceForge, has a lot of features for web
    > hosting. Such as CGI, PHP. The web server runs Linux (DOS on steroids),
    and
    > you will need to learn or know Linux commands. Also, the web server
    doesn't
    > use FTP; but SSH (Secure Shell) to transfer the web site.
    >

    > Also, I would prefer custom graphics for the site..
    >

    > The project that Children of the Sun superseded is called Children of
    Fire.
    > It's the same project; but was for Linux. The site, written by me, is at
    > [url]http://childoffire.sourceforge.net[/url] .
    >

    > SourceForge is used to host OpenSource projects.. It's the biggest site
    that
    > I know of Open Source projects.. You will need to register an account
    there.
    > But before you do that, e-mail me at [email]rpg_manusers.sourceforge.net[/email] if your
    > interested..
    >

    > - Edward Principe

    DjDrakk Guest