Professional Web Applications Themes

Looking for a backup solution - Windows Server

Hello everybody, Actually my topic is not really Windows related, but I am hoping that some people in this community can share their experiences with me. I want to add a new hard drive to the server, because the capacity of the older one is getting very low. Till now, there is a 9.1 GB drive with a 7.0 GB data portion working. I want to add a 36.00 GB hard drive. The problem is that we using a tape backup device that can store 8 GB max. Therefore I have to replace the tape drive for something better. Because ...

  1. #1

    Default Looking for a backup solution

    Hello everybody,

    Actually my topic is not really Windows related, but I am
    hoping that some people in this community can share their
    experiences with me.

    I want to add a new hard drive to the server, because the
    capacity of the older one is getting very low. Till now,
    there is a 9.1 GB drive with a 7.0 GB data portion
    working. I want to add a 36.00 GB hard drive. The problem
    is that we using a tape backup device that can store 8 GB
    max.

    Therefore I have to replace the tape drive for something
    better. Because it is a smaller company (15 people) I am
    working for there is no big budget for it. Most of the
    new tape devices in the lower price range provide only 20
    GB native - that's not enough. How other companies are
    handling that situation? Would it make sense to use a hot
    pluggable hard drive for back up? My concern is, that the
    hard drive upgrade + Memory is just about $ 300.00, a
    newer tape device at least $ 700.00 + media.

    Thank you very much.
    Thomas

    Thomas Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Looking for a backup solution

    Thomas

    External hard disks is an option that I currently use. I bought a USB2 PCI
    card, an external USB2 enclosure and a handful of 80GB IDE hard disks.
    Another option might be the new Iomega REV, if 35GB native capacity is all
    you need.

    Best regards

    Bjorn
    --
    Bjorn Landemoo - [email]mvp2landemoo.com[/email] - [url]http://landemoo.com/[/url]

    "Thomas" <anonymousdiscussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
    >Hello everybody,
    >
    >Actually my topic is not really Windows related, but I am
    >hoping that some people in this community can share their
    >experiences with me.
    >
    >I want to add a new hard drive to the server, because the
    >capacity of the older one is getting very low. Till now,
    >there is a 9.1 GB drive with a 7.0 GB data portion
    >working. I want to add a 36.00 GB hard drive. The problem
    >is that we using a tape backup device that can store 8 GB
    >max.
    >
    >Therefore I have to replace the tape drive for something
    >better. Because it is a smaller company (15 people) I am
    >working for there is no big budget for it. Most of the
    >new tape devices in the lower price range provide only 20
    >GB native - that's not enough. How other companies are
    >handling that situation? Would it make sense to use a hot
    >pluggable hard drive for back up? My concern is, that the
    >hard drive upgrade + Memory is just about $ 300.00, a
    >newer tape device at least $ 700.00 + media.
    >
    >Thank you very much.
    >Thomas
    Bjorn Landemoo Guest

  3. #3

    I recently bought a 120GB Maxtor 'One Touch' USB2.0 Drive. It comes with
    software that integrates with the button on the front of the drive that
    takes a backup of the system with one button press. Cost was about 200.00,
    but if you time it right, they usually offer rebates. It doesn't get any
    simpler than this.

    jh

    "Thomas" <anonymousdiscussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hello everybody,
    >
    > Actually my topic is not really Windows related, but I am
    > hoping that some people in this community can share their
    > experiences with me.
    >
    > I want to add a new hard drive to the server, because the
    > capacity of the older one is getting very low. Till now,
    > there is a 9.1 GB drive with a 7.0 GB data portion
    > working. I want to add a 36.00 GB hard drive. The problem
    > is that we using a tape backup device that can store 8 GB
    > max.
    >
    > Therefore I have to replace the tape drive for something
    > better. Because it is a smaller company (15 people) I am
    > working for there is no big budget for it. Most of the
    > new tape devices in the lower price range provide only 20
    > GB native - that's not enough. How other companies are
    > handling that situation? Would it make sense to use a hot
    > pluggable hard drive for back up? My concern is, that the
    > hard drive upgrade + Memory is just about $ 300.00, a
    > newer tape device at least $ 700.00 + media.
    >
    > Thank you very much.
    > Thomas

    Joseph J. Hand Guest