Professional Web Applications Themes

Looking for a more clever solution - SCO

Removed by Administrator...

  1. Moderated Post

    Default Looking for a more clever solution

    Removed by Administrator
    tony@aplawrence.com Guest
    Moderated Post

  2. Moderated Post

    Default Re: Looking for a more clever solution

    Removed by Administrator
    Eric Nicholson (NewsGroup) Guest
    Moderated Post

  3. Moderated Post

    Default Re: Looking for a more clever solution

    Removed by Administrator
    tony@aplawrence.com Guest
    Moderated Post

  4. #4

    Default Re: Looking for a more clever solution

    Frederico Fonseca <real-email-in-msg-spamemail.com> wrote:
    >On Fri, 1 Aug 2003 17:51:07 +0000 (UTC), [email]tonyaplawrence.com[/email] wrote:
    >>
    >>I have a client with an app that uses a modem to page technicians.
    >>
    >>Doesn't want to do that; wants to sdend the data to their cell phone
    >>instead.
    ....
    >2- Connect one serial port to another one, and write a small app to
    >read from that second port and to reply as the app expects, and then
    >make that new app to send to the cell phone in a more suitable way.
    >This should not be too dificult to do.
    See, I told you there was a better idea out there!

    Thanks.

    --
    [email]tonyaplawrence.com[/email] Unix/Linux/Mac OS X resources: [url]http://aplawrence.com[/url]
    Get paid for writing about tech: [url]http://aplawrence.com/publish.html[/url]
    tony@aplawrence.com Guest

  5. Moderated Post

    Default Re: Looking for a more clever solution

    Removed by Administrator
    John DuBois Guest
    Moderated Post

  6. #6

    Default Re: Looking for a more clever solution

    John DuBois <spcecdtdeeptht.armory.com> wrote:
    >In article <bge9ab$hq4$2pcls4.std.com>, <tonyaplawrence.com> wrote:
    >>
    >>I have a client with an app that uses a modem to page technicians.
    >>
    >>Doesn't want to do that; wants to sdend the data to their cell phone
    >>instead.
    >>
    >>Unfortunately, app apparently does more than just open the port
    >>and send AT commands. Looks like it is actually doing ioctl stty's
    >>and expecting happy results. App vendor (of course) is unhelpful
    >>so far; wants customer to upgrade to Windows (which he'll happily
    >>do when hell freezes solid, or so he says).
    >>
    >Tell the app to use a pty. Have a daemon listen to the master side for
    >messages.
    Hmm. I never realized I could do that. I always thought you had to
    open both, exec what you wanted to read on the slave, and read/write
    from the master.

    Searching Google for examples that don't follow that model has been
    fruitless, and so far my experimentation with simple tests hasn't
    let me read from ptyx anything written to ttyx.. can you give a
    simple example?

    Probably should move this to c.u.s.p


    --
    [email]tonyaplawrence.com[/email] Unix/Linux/Mac OS X resources: [url]http://aplawrence.com[/url]
    Get paid for writing about tech: [url]http://aplawrence.com/publish.html[/url]
    tony@aplawrence.com Guest

  7. #7

    Default Re: Looking for a more clever solution

    In article <bgljj8$c82$1pcls4.std.com>, <tonyaplawrence.com> wrote:
    >John DuBois <spcecdtdeeptht.armory.com> wrote:
    >>In article <bge9ab$hq4$2pcls4.std.com>, <tonyaplawrence.com> wrote:
    >>>
    >>>I have a client with an app that uses a modem to page technicians.
    >>>
    >>>Doesn't want to do that; wants to sdend the data to their cell phone
    >>>instead.
    >>>
    >>>Unfortunately, app apparently does more than just open the port
    >>>and send AT commands. Looks like it is actually doing ioctl stty's
    >>>and expecting happy results. App vendor (of course) is unhelpful
    >>>so far; wants customer to upgrade to Windows (which he'll happily
    >>>do when hell freezes solid, or so he says).
    >>>
    >
    >>Tell the app to use a pty. Have a daemon listen to the master side for
    >>messages.
    >
    >Hmm. I never realized I could do that. I always thought you had to
    >open both, exec what you wanted to read on the slave, and read/write
    >from the master.
    Nope. With earlier versions of the pty driver you had to open the master side
    first; in the current version you can open either. The slave side can be
    closed & reopened without having to reopen the master side. If the master side
    is closed, the slave side will see a "hangup". This works for your purposes
    because it's the master side you will want to keep constantly open, with
    messages being read from it.
    >Searching Google for examples that don't follow that model has been
    >fruitless, and so far my experimentation with simple tests hasn't
    >let me read from ptyx anything written to ttyx.. can you give a
    >simple example?
    >
    >Probably should move this to c.u.s.p
    Find a pty that isn't in use (for your purposes, you will need to reserve a
    fixed pty, perhaps by selecting a high-numbered pty and opening it early in rc2
    processing). Then (using ttyp63 for an example):

    On one screen, do:
    $ cat /dev/ptyp63

    From another screen, echo or cat to /dev/ttyp63. The above cat process should
    spit out everything you send to the slave.

    John
    --
    John DuBois [email]spcecdtarmory.com[/email] KC6QKZ/AE [url]http://www.armory.com/~spcecdt/[/url]
    John DuBois Guest

  8. #8

    Default Re: Looking for a more clever solution

    In comp.unix.sco.misc John DuBois <spcecdtdeeptht.armory.com> wrote:
    >In article <bgljj8$c82$1pcls4.std.com>, <tonyaplawrence.com> wrote:
    >>John DuBois <spcecdtdeeptht.armory.com> wrote:
    >>>In article <bge9ab$hq4$2pcls4.std.com>, <tonyaplawrence.com> wrote:
    >>>>
    >>>>I have a client with an app that uses a modem to page technicians.
    >>>>
    >>>>Doesn't want to do that; wants to sdend the data to their cell phone
    >>>>instead.
    >>>>
    >>>>Unfortunately, app apparently does more than just open the port
    >>>>and send AT commands. Looks like it is actually doing ioctl stty's
    >>>>and expecting happy results. App vendor (of course) is unhelpful
    >>>>so far; wants customer to upgrade to Windows (which he'll happily
    >>>>do when hell freezes solid, or so he says).
    >>>>
    >>
    >>>Tell the app to use a pty. Have a daemon listen to the master side for
    >>>messages.
    >>
    >>Hmm. I never realized I could do that. I always thought you had to
    >>open both, exec what you wanted to read on the slave, and read/write
    >>from the master.
    >Nope. With earlier versions of the pty driver you had to open the master side
    >first; in the current version you can open either. The slave side can be
    >closed & reopened without having to reopen the master side. If the master side
    >is closed, the slave side will see a "hangup". This works for your purposes
    >because it's the master side you will want to keep constantly open, with
    >messages being read from it.
    >>Searching Google for examples that don't follow that model has been
    >>fruitless, and so far my experimentation with simple tests hasn't
    >>let me read from ptyx anything written to ttyx.. can you give a
    >>simple example?
    >>
    >>Probably should move this to c.u.s.p
    >Find a pty that isn't in use (for your purposes, you will need to reserve a
    >fixed pty, perhaps by selecting a high-numbered pty and opening it early in rc2
    >processing). Then (using ttyp63 for an example):
    >On one screen, do:
    >$ cat /dev/ptyp63
    >From another screen, echo or cat to /dev/ttyp63. The above cat process should
    >spit out everything you send to the slave.
    Hmm. I tried that on my Mac while I was away for the weekend, did not
    work. I'm back home, firing up the SCO box..

    Son of a gun. Wonder what is up with BSD that makes that different.
    Oh well, this is for SCO, and that works fine. I'll look at the
    BSD stuff another day.

    Thanks John. That's such a simple thing, but I never knew it could be done!

    --
    [email]tonyaplawrence.com[/email] Unix/Linux/Mac OS X resources: [url]http://aplawrence.com[/url]
    Get paid for writing about tech: [url]http://aplawrence.com/publish.html[/url]
    tony@aplawrence.com Guest

Similar Threads

  1. Any of you clever ones know what this does please?
    By aoj in forum Macromedia Flash
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: February 23rd, 07:35 PM
  2. Ping Clever Thinkers!!
    By Laphan in forum ASP Database
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: December 7th, 12:35 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139