Professional Web Applications Themes

looking for a printer recommendation - SCO

Hello, I have customer who purchased a pair of Lexmark x5150 multi-function printers. They attach to PCs via USB, and work fine from windows. I told them not to even bother having me try to get them printing from their SCO 505 application. So, they asked for a recommendation to replace one or both of the Lexmarks. They need color printing for PC applications, and they could use copy/scan functions for Windows, but it's not a requirement. And I want is something that will let me pass control commands from the HPLaserJet or inkjet interface scripts. My preference would be ...

  1. #1

    Default looking for a printer recommendation

    Hello,

    I have customer who purchased a pair of Lexmark x5150 multi-function
    printers.
    They attach to PCs via USB, and work fine from windows. I told them
    not to even bother having me try to get them printing from their SCO
    505 application.

    So, they asked for a recommendation to replace one or both of the
    Lexmarks.
    They need color printing for PC applications, and they could use
    copy/scan
    functions for Windows, but it's not a requirement.

    And I want is something that will let me pass control commands from
    the
    HPLaserJet or inkjet interface scripts. My preference would be a
    network printer accessed via netcat, but the customer uses FacetWIN,
    which makes it pretty easy to reach windows attached printers from
    SCO.

    I'm finding it harder to discern from the marketing blurbs what is,
    and is not, a windows-only printer.

    Do you have anything in mind that you like and recommend for this type
    of application?

    Best to all
    Dan Martin
    Dan Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: looking for a printer recommendation

    In article <google.com>,
    Dan Martin <com> wrote:

    Well if you had them install something like an HP print server
    that uses TCP/IP then every computer they have could use the
    printers including the SCO system. It's pretty easy.

    Why not use netcat. It works well.

    If you look at the printer spec and you see that it supports
    DOS and often Apple, then you know it's not a windows only printer.

    --
    Bill Vermillion - bv wjv . com
    Bill Guest

  3. #3

    Thank you for your reply, Bill.

    comREMOVE (Bill Vermillion) wrote in message news:<com>...

    > Well if you had them install something like an HP print server
    > that uses TCP/IP then every computer they have could use the
    > printers including the SCO system. It's pretty easy.
    >[/ref]
    Agreed. I've found it impossible to do this with HP's PPA printers,
    and, if I understand the Lexmark support technician, The x5150 is
    Lexmark's answer to PPA. ie, the printer is incapable of doing
    anything, including printing re-directed text (from unix or DOS),
    unless there is an operating system specific driver.

    > Why not use netcat. It works well.
    >[/ref]
    I was hoping to use netcat. The only downside is the modest expense
    associated with the print server, but the payback is in time
    saved in setting things up, and not being dependent on a specific PC
    running
    for the printer to be operational. I like netcat.

    > If you look at the printer spec and you see that it supports
    > DOS and often Apple, then you know it's not a windows only printer.[/ref]

    No mention of DOS, but surprised to see that it works w/Apple's OS X.

    Thanks again, Bill. Still curious if anyone has recently installed an
    inkjet
    printer capable of printing from SCO, using netcat or otherwise, and
    if they liked the model enough that they'd recomend it to others.

    Regards,
    Dan
    Dan Guest

  4. #4

    "Dan Martin" <com> wrote in message

    > > Well if you had them install something like an HP print server
    > > that uses TCP/IP then every computer they have could use the
    > > printers including the SCO system. It's pretty easy.
    > >[/ref]
    > Agreed. I've found it impossible to do this with HP's PPA printers,
    > and, if I understand the Lexmark support technician, The x5150 is
    > Lexmark's answer to PPA. ie, the printer is incapable of doing
    > anything, including printing re-directed text (from unix or DOS),
    > unless there is an operating system specific driver.
    >

    > > Why not use netcat. It works well.
    > >[/ref]
    > I was hoping to use netcat. The only downside is the modest expense
    > associated with the print server, but the payback is in time
    > saved in setting things up, and not being dependent on a specific PC
    > running
    > for the printer to be operational. I like netcat.

    > > If you look at the printer spec and you see that it supports
    > > DOS and often Apple, then you know it's not a windows only printer.[/ref]
    >
    > No mention of DOS, but surprised to see that it works w/Apple's OS X.
    >
    > Thanks again, Bill. Still curious if anyone has recently installed an
    > inkjet
    > printer capable of printing from SCO, using netcat or otherwise, and
    > if they liked the model enough that they'd recomend it to others.
    >
    > Regards,
    > Dan[/ref]

    I just installed an HP5650 ink jet on an old 5.0.2 host system. The 5650
    has a Centronics connector as well as USB, so hooking it up was no trouble,
    and it works great printing text files. If you are so inclined, you can
    even dig up the PCL 3+ codes on HP's web site (although, unfortunately, not
    under the 5650, but the codes from similar printers are the same). It's
    about $150, a bit more pricey than the old, under-$100 HP3820, which also
    worked, but which, of course, has been discontinued (go for it if you can
    find one, though).

    Generally, I've found that the key to determining if a printer will work
    with Unix is whether or not it has built-in fonts, which you can discover
    from the detailed specs. No built-in fonts=No work with Unix; Built-in
    fonts=Works with Unix.

    --
    Richard Seeder
    AApex Information Systems

    Richard Guest

  5. #5

    Dan Martin <com> wrote:

    This page includes such information for a very large number of printers:

    http://www-912.ibm.com/s_dir/slkbase.NSF/0888cc5d18fceca58625680b005dc690/b44a2cf4ba778d83862568250053649f?OpenDoent

    John
    --
    John DuBois com KC6QKZ/AE http://www.armory.com/~spcecdt/
    John Guest

  6. #6

    Dan Martin wrote:

    I find http://www.linuxprinting.org is an invaluable source of
    information about printers. I'd be wary of any printer not listed there.
    Of course, just because Linux has a native driver doesn't mean OSR or
    Unixware do, so you need to read the details to find out the protocol
    used for the printer.

    Ian Guest