Professional Web Applications Themes

looking for a shell editor - FreeBSD

Looking for a shell editor that can open two files at the same time on the same screen splitting the screen horizontal ? Please dont answer emac or vi they are not made for teletubies :( I like the ee or mc editor but i dont think mc editor can open two files at the same time/...

  1. #1

    Default looking for a shell editor

    Looking for a shell editor that can open two files at the same time on
    the same screen splitting the screen horizontal ?

    Please dont answer emac or vi they are not made for teletubies :( I
    like the ee or mc editor but i dont think mc editor can open two files
    at the same time/
    Gert Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: looking for a shell editor

    In the last episode (Mar 24), Gert Cuykens said:

    Try editors/joe-devel (which should probably be renamed to plain
    editors/joe)

    --
    Dan Nelson
    com

  3. #3

    joe does, and it rules! :-)

    albi Guest

  4. #4

    Dan Nelson wrote:

    >Try editors/joe-devel (which should probably be renamed to plain
    >editors/joe)
    >

    >[/ref]
    Jep joe is realy cool, its my default text-editor and it can be used in
    a split-screen mode.

    you should probably get used to the commands you can use, first ctrl+ k
    seems a litle weird but when you get used to it it realy rules ( in fact
    when I'm working at school in word or notepad and I want to save my
    stuff I automatically do ctrl + k + d ) :D

    ctrl + k rules after you get used to it

    Good Luck

    Frank Staals
    Frank Guest

  5. #5

    On Thu, 24 Mar 2005 18:43:44 +0100, Frank Staals <nl> wrote:

    Yep joe looks great. But i dont understand why they use ^K so much ?
    What is the logic behind ^K what does K stand for ? I would understand
    ^J on all the special joe key bindings but ^K ?
    Gert Guest

  6. #6

    On Fri, Mar 25, 2005 at 01:09:52PM +0100, Gert Cuykens wrote:

    > Yep joe looks great. But i dont understand why they use ^K so much ?
    > What is the logic behind ^K what does K stand for ? I would understand
    > ^J on all the special joe key bindings but ^K ?[/ref]

    The default keybindings in Joe are based on those used in WordStar
    which used ^K (as well as ^Q) for many commands, so it is mainly
    historical reasons. WordStar used to be very popular so many people
    are already familiar with those keybindings (either directly from
    WordStar, or from one of the many other programs that also used some
    variant of them.)

    I don't think K stands for anything really - I think it was chosen
    mainly because it was placed in a convenient position on the keyboard.

    The WordStar keybindings might not seem very logical at first glance,
    but ones fingers very quickly learn them. (Unlike e.g. the default
    keybindings in Emacs which are quite logical, but which I usually find
    difficult to remember.)

    --
    <Insert your favourite quote here.>
    Erik Trulsson

  7. #7

    On Fri, 25 Mar 2005, Erik Trulsson wrote:

    > The default keybindings in Joe are based on those used in WordStar
    > which used ^K (as well as ^Q) for many commands, so it is mainly
    > historical reasons. WordStar used to be very popular so many people
    > are already familiar with those keybindings (either directly from
    > WordStar, or from one of the many other programs that also used some
    > variant of them.)
    >
    > I don't think K stands for anything really - I think it was chosen
    > mainly because it was placed in a convenient position on the keyboard.
    >
    > The WordStar keybindings might not seem very logical at first glance,
    > but ones fingers very quickly learn them. (Unlike e.g. the default
    > keybindings in Emacs which are quite logical, but which I usually find
    > difficult to remember.)[/ref]

    I might add that Joe is exceedingly easy to configue (no lisp!)
    besides coming with a choice of (once) popular bindings --
    simply invoke it with one of its other names. You can
    reconfigure each of them so you can have several versions of
    the one you prefer or the configuration you like. Macros can do
    pipe stuff through any pipe-aware command you have on
    your system, so things get done exactly as they would on the
    command line and not with some internal sort-of-like.

    Despite the C in EMACS, it is exceedingly hard to configure, and
    some things really are impractical to change. If you want to do
    something else with control-X and control-c, you should be able
    to map those functions elsewhere. (To many people control-x,
    control-c, and control-v seem logically connected to cut,
    copy, and paste, respectively.) But just try it. Too many
    packages have been written that assume you won't move those
    keys.

    --
    Lars Eighner
    com

    Lars Guest

  8. #8

    When you open a shell window in joe and do for example man radeon and
    push enter to scroll down it puts byte... before each line

    byte 844 ing ATI chips
    byte 865
    byte 866 R100 Radeon 7200
    byte 901
    byte 902 RV100 Radeon 7000(VE), M6
    byte 948
    byte 949 RS100 Radeon IGP320(M)
    byte 992
    byte 993 RV200 Radeon 7500, M7, FireGL 7800
    byte 1048
    byte 1049 RS200 Radeon IGP330(M)/IGP340(M)
    byte 1102
    byte 1103 RS250 Radeon Mobility 7000 IGP

    how do you get rit of byte...
    Gert Guest

  9. #9

    On Fri, 25 Mar 2005 16:17:54 +0100
    Gert Cuykens <com> wrote:

    in joe you can do a search (^K^F) and then choose (R)eplace, fill in
    "byte" and replacing it by a space is possible, then choose "all"

    albi@scii.nl Guest

  10. #10

    On Fri, 25 Mar 2005 16:21:52 +0100, nl <nl> wrote:

    > in joe you can do a search (^K^F) and then choose (R)eplace, fill in
    > "byte" and replacing it by a space is possible, then choose "all"
    >[/ref]

    Can you configure joe it doesnt put byte x when you scroll ?
    Gert Guest

  11. #11

    On Fri, Mar 25, 2005 at 04:27:12PM +0100, Gert Cuykens wrote:

    > > in joe you can do a search (^K^F) and then choose (R)eplace, fill in
    > > "byte" and replacing it by a space is possible, then choose "all"
    > >[/ref]
    >
    > Can you configure joe it doesnt put byte x when you scroll ?[/ref]

    It is not joe which puts those lines. It is the pager that man uses
    which outputs them (those lines should normally be at the bottom of
    the page.)

    Full-screen programs (like man) seem to get a bit confused when
    running inside joe, probably because joe does *not* supply a full
    terminal-emulator. I would recommend that you don't run such programs
    inside joe - just use a normal shell instead.

  12. #12

    In the last episode (Mar 25), Gert Cuykens said:

    That's actually your pager doing that. Joe's "terminal emulator" when
    in shell mode is exceedingly simple, only understanding newline and
    backspace. You can run "man radeon | cat" to avoid going through any
    pagers, and just use pgup/down to page through the text from within
    joe.

    --
    Dan Nelson
    com

  13. #13

    On Fri, 25 Mar 2005 11:44:54 -0600, Dan Nelson <com> wrote:

    > That's actually your pager doing that. Joe's "terminal emulator" when
    > in shell mode is exceedingly simple, only understanding newline and
    > backspace. You can run "man radeon | cat" to avoid going through any
    > pagers, and just use pgup/down to page through the text from within
    > joe.
    >[/ref]

    Alrigdy that defenatly works :) thx
    Gert Guest