Professional Web Applications Themes

Looking for Fireworks 100 - Macromedia Fireworks

Yeah, not even 101 ;) I am just starting to play, and I want to play on my own and all, but there are some things that might just be easier to ask, or find a basic primer. Right now my question is - how do I take this very basic pop-up menu I've made and save it, so that I can open it in a web browser and view it? I tried just using F12 and saving the result, which of course did not work. Can anyone (take the time to bother to) help? Thanks :)...

  1. #1

    Default Looking for Fireworks 100

    Yeah, not even 101 ;)

    I am just starting to play, and I want to play on my own and all, but there are some things that might just be easier to ask, or find a basic primer. Right now my question is - how do I take this very basic pop-up menu I've made and save it, so that I can open it in a web browser and view it? I tried just using F12 and saving the result, which of course did not work. Can anyone (take the time to bother to) help?

    Thanks :)

    cameronjpu Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Looking for Fireworks 100

    "cameronjpu" com wrote:

    Export is the name of the game here. First optimize via the Optimize
    panel any images you may have used, and then choose File > Export.
    Choose the Images and HTML option in the Export dialog box. If you need
    more detail than this, check the Help files. You'll find that they
    really are helpful.

    Of course, any second now someone is going to come along and tell you
    not to use the pop up menus and the effort I made to answer your
    question will have been wasted. :-)

    Linda Rathgeber
    Design Aid: 10-Palette Pack for Fireworks & Flash
    http://www.webdevbiz.com/graphics.cfm
    Playing with Fire | http://www.playingwithfire.com
    Victoriana | Theme Pack 03 - Club | http://www.projectseven.com
    Team MM Fireworks Volunteer | www.macromedia.com/go/team

    Linda Guest

  3. #3

    Not wanting to disappoint Linda, I'll jump in.

    Don't use those nasty pop-ups. They will take you places you don't want to
    go, and they will leave you stranded.

    --
    Murray --- ICQ 71997575
    ==================

    "Linda Rathgeber" <rr.com> wrote in message

    > Export is the name of the game here. First optimize via the Optimize
    > panel any images you may have used, and then choose File > Export.
    > Choose the Images and HTML option in the Export dialog box. If you need
    > more detail than this, check the Help files. You'll find that they
    > really are helpful.
    >
    > Of course, any second now someone is going to come along and tell you
    > not to use the pop up menus and the effort I made to answer your
    > question will have been wasted. :-)
    >
    > Linda Rathgeber
    > Design Aid: 10-Palette Pack for Fireworks & Flash
    > http://www.webdevbiz.com/graphics.cfm
    > Playing with Fire | http://www.playingwithfire.com
    > Victoriana | Theme Pack 03 - Club | http://www.projectseven.com
    > Team MM Fireworks Volunteer | www.macromedia.com/go/team

    Murray Guest

  4. #4

    Murray *TMM* wrote:

    we hatse these nasssty popupsses my preciousss.... wicked! false!

    ;-)

    Stéphane Guest

  5. #5

    Thanks Linda :) So what is the current trend on pop-up menus? What is the replacement most people are moving towards?

    cameronjpu Guest

  6. #6

    "cameronjpu" com wrote:

    Free:

    http://www.projectseven.com/tutorials/auto_hide/index.htm
    http://www.projectseven.com/tutorials/menuing/mcloser/index.htm

    For a fee:

    http://www.projectseven.com/tmm684RT/index.htm
    http://www.projectseven.com/mm2/index.htm

    All 4 require Dreamweaver.

    HTH!

    Stéphane Bergeron

    Stéphane Guest

  8. #8

    That's me - old faithful.... 8)

    --
    Murray --- ICQ 71997575
    ==================

    news:buh2cf$80l$macromedia.com... [/ref]

  9. #9

    Any chance someone could tell me a bit about why the popups are so bad? :)

    cameronjpu Guest

  10. #10

    It's not popups in general (unless you are restricting them to
    all-javascript embedded popups). It's the DW/FW ones that are bad -

    The DW/FW pop-ups will add at least 35K of code overhead to the first page
    using them, as well as a large dynamic write to *each* page containing the
    menus.

    You should also know that they link to your files using doent relative
    links that are hardcoded in your javacript - not only are these links
    invisible to the DW link management routines (i.e., when you move a page in
    the site, you break the link), but worse, they are also invisible to the
    search engine spiders, and accessability (508) requirements. The only way to
    solve the second problem is to make sure that your pages have alternate,
    HTML-based navigation links on them.

    I am not fond of these menus (as you have no doubt guessed) and feel that it
    is important to know what you are getting into before you may devote much
    time to them.

    There are some excellent alternatives to these pop-ups that have none of
    these problems. Here are two methods that are very simple -

    http://www.projectseven.com/tutorials/menuing/mcloser/index.htm

    or

    http://www.projectseven.com/tutorials/auto_hide/index.htm

    Here is a method that is more 'hands on' but very slick and equally trouble
    free -

    http://www.youngpup.net/?request=/components/ypSlideOutMenus.xml

    --
    Murray --- ICQ 71997575
    ==================

    "cameronjpu" <com> wrote in message

    Murray Guest

  11. #11

    Ah... thanks for the explanation. That all sounds like no big deal for me - this page is mostly informational and will not be changing often. It is also reasonably small so I do not expect to be too troubled by the problems you laid out. The one problem I AM troubled by right now is that on these popup menus, the size of all of the menu items is the same as that of the largest item.... I also need to do two level menus, which seems to be a problem otherwise.

    My problem is that I'd like to have the top (horiz) menus be fairly small, like 100 pix wide. One of the submenus, though, has a submenu with a long item - 200 pix. So when you pull down the top menu, all of the other items are 200 pix, which causes them to run off the screen. Any solutions? I managed to keep the top items small just by leaving them blank and supplying my own image, and pulling the second menu level out of the bottom of it.

    The other option that I gave up on before is having a vertical menu on the left - 100 pix wide each again, with submenus coming out of the side. This works great, EXCEPT that first level of menus gets very wide when you mouseover. I have to have that first level image on mouseover, though, because without doing that I can't have the second level menu drop DOWN, it goes out to the right.

    So close, but not quite....

    Thanks :)

    cameronjpu Guest

  12. #12

    Stéphane Bergeron wrote:

    > we hatse these nasssty popupsses my preciousss.... wicked! false!
    >
    > ;-)
    >[/ref]

    LOL.. OK, Gollum. :-)

    --
    John
    John Guest

  13. #13

    Murray *TMM* wrote:

    What keeps you so regular? Errr... never mind!

    --
    John
    John Guest

  14. #14

    It's umm spinach....

    --
    Murray --- ICQ 71997575

    "John T." <com> wrote in message

    > What keeps you so regular? Errr... never mind!
    >
    > --
    > John[/ref]

    Murray Guest