Professional Web Applications Themes

Looking for more Debian packages - Debian

Hi folks My Linux system is basically working. I am looking at ways to enhance it. 1) I read about disk boot problem in the mail list. Right now I boot from a floppy. My machine BIOS can only boot from the C drive or the floppy. I use D drive for my Linux. If my floppy fails to boot, I may have to re-build a whole new system. It would be wise to have an image copy of the whole floppy as a backup. Is there a utility to create a binary image of a Linux floppy? I have ...

  1. #1

    Default Looking for more Debian packages

    Hi folks

    My Linux system is basically working. I am looking at ways to enhance it.

    1) I read about disk boot problem in the mail list. Right now I boot from a
    floppy. My machine BIOS can only boot from the C drive or the floppy. I use
    D drive for my Linux. If my floppy fails to boot, I may have to re-build a
    whole new system. It would be wise to have an image copy of the whole floppy
    as a backup. Is there a utility to create a binary image of a Linux floppy?
    I have looked at fdutils. It doesn't help.

    2) I have read about Linux BIOS. I believe BIOS is another area of software
    that has to open up. Does Debian have one, and come with source code too?

    3) Does Debian support freehand writing devices such as Wacom electronics
    pad? I'm talking about the device driver as well as application packages
    such as freehand editing for doentation and emailing, freehand drawing
    etc.

    Looking forward to some answers.

    Cheers.

    Jianan Huang Guest

  3. #3

    Default Re: Looking for more Debian packages

    (You seem to have sent your message three times to the list...)

    "Jianan Huang" <huangjianan1hotmail.com> writes:
    > 1) I read about disk boot problem in the mail list. Right now I boot
    > from a floppy. My machine BIOS can only boot from the C drive or the
    > floppy. I use D drive for my Linux.
    Note that you can install a boot loader (e.g., LILO or GRUB) into the
    MBR of the "C drive" (likely /dev/hda), and then you can boot your
    choice of operating system without affecting what's actually installed
    on either drive.
    > If my floppy fails to boot, I may have to re-build a whole new
    > system. It would be wise to have an image copy of the whole floppy
    > as a backup. Is there a utility to create a binary image of a Linux
    > floppy?
    dd if=/dev/fd0 of=floppy.img # make the image
    dd if=floppy.img of=/dev/fd0 # make a new floppy
    dd if=/dev/fd0 of=/dev/fd1 # copy disks, given two floppy drives
    > 2) I have read about Linux BIOS. I believe BIOS is another area of
    > software that has to open up. Does Debian have one, and come with
    > source code too?
    Not particularly, but I also haven't heard of huge demand for one.
    Linux (I think like most other "modern" operating systems) mostly
    ignores the BIOS, with a couple of exceptions for things like APM.

    --
    David Maze [email]dmazedebian.org[/email] [url]http://people.debian.org/~dmaze/[/url]
    "Theoretical politics is interesting. Politicking should be illegal."

    David Z Maze Guest

  4. #4

    On Tue, Jul 29, 2003 at 01:31:24PM +0000, Jianan Huang wrote:
    > 1) I read about disk boot problem in the mail list. Right now I boot
    > from a floppy. My machine BIOS can only boot from the C drive or the
    > floppy. I use D drive for my Linux.
    "C drive" and "D drive" are DOS/Windows concepts, by the way, although
    they're often mentioned in BIOSes as well. It would be less confusing if
    you could get used to Linux-style terms like hda, hda1, etc.

    Even if your BIOS can only boot from the first hard disk (/dev/hda) or
    the first partition on the first IDE hard disk (usually "C drive" in
    DOS-speak, /dev/hda1 here), LILO is quite clever and may be able to work
    around this.
    > If my floppy fails to boot, I may have to re-build a whole new system.
    > It would be wise to have an image copy of the whole floppy as a
    > backup. Is there a utility to create a binary image of a Linux floppy?
    > I have looked at fdutils. It doesn't help.
    Use 'dd if=/dev/fd0 of=/path/to/image bs=1024 count=1440' to create the
    image and 'dd if=/path/to/image of=/dev/fd0 bs=1024 count=1440' to write
    it back. (I think the count of 1440 is right for a 1.44Mb floppy, but
    adjust to taste.)
    > 2) I have read about Linux BIOS. I believe BIOS is another area of
    > software that has to open up. Does Debian have one, and come with
    > source code too?
    The BIOS is a piece of software embedded in your hardware that starts
    before the operating system. So no, Debian doesn't include a BIOS as far
    as I know. There are projects like [url]http://freebios.sourceforge.net/[/url] that
    are trying to create a free BIOS.
    > 3) Does Debian support freehand writing devices such as Wacom
    > electronics pad? I'm talking about the device driver as well as
    > application packages such as freehand editing for doentation and
    > emailing, freehand drawing etc.
    Not sure here, sorry. "Wacom" is mentioned in the Linux kernel's
    configuration ("Wacom Intuos/Graphire tablet support",
    CONFIG_USB_WACOM), so you could try that for the driver if you have a
    USB tablet, but I have no idea about userspace software for this.

    Cheers,

    --
    Colin Watson [cjwatsonflatline.org.uk]

    Colin Watson Guest

  5. #5

    Hello

    Jianan Huang (<huangjianan1hotmail.com>) wrote:
    > 1) I read about disk boot problem in the mail list. Right now I boot
    > from a floppy. My machine BIOS can only boot from the C drive or the
    > floppy. I use D drive for my Linux. If my floppy fails to boot, I may
    > have to re-build a whole new system. It would be wise to have an image
    > copy of the whole floppy as a backup. Is there a utility to create a
    > binary image of a Linux floppy? I have looked at fdutils. It doesn't
    > help.
    You can use "dd" to make images of floppy disks. And you can also
    install your bootloader in the MBR of drive C. Lilo and Grub can be
    configured to load other operating systems, e.g. Windows, as well.

    best regards
    Andreas Janssen

    --
    Andreas Janssen
    [email]andreas.janssenbigfoot.com[/email]

    Andreas Janssen Guest

  6. #6

    Default C, D even older (Was Re: Looking for more Debian packages)

    On Tue, 2003-07-29 at 09:15, Colin Watson wrote:
    > On Tue, Jul 29, 2003 at 01:31:24PM +0000, Jianan Huang wrote:
    > > 1) I read about disk boot problem in the mail list. Right now I boot
    > > from a floppy. My machine BIOS can only boot from the C drive or the
    > > floppy. I use D drive for my Linux.
    >
    > "C drive" and "D drive" are DOS/Windows concepts, by the way, although
    > they're often mentioned in BIOSes as well. It would be less confusing if
    > you could get used to Linux-style terms like hda, hda1, etc.
    Actually, they're from CP/M. Earlier, maybe?

    | Ron Johnson, Jr. Home: [email]ron.l.johnsoncox.net[/email] |
    | Jefferson, LA USA |
    | |
    | "I'm not a vegetarian because I love animals, I'm a vegetarian |
    | because I hate vegetables!" |
    | unknown |
    Ron Johnson Guest