Professional Web Applications Themes

Looking for PHP book suggestions... - PHP Development

I have been an HTML guy for 8 years or so, but only last year started working with PHP. I dabbled in Perl and then moved to PHP after completing a couple projects in Perl. I'm thankful I did that, as I'm sure you all know. I've got a pretty common working knowlege of PHP and using it with mySQL. I can do most anything I need to do, but I learn new things by Google'ing or using PHP.NET and I'd like to learn some better practices and get away from what I'm sure are newbie practices. I've been learning ...

  1. #1

    Default Looking for PHP book suggestions...

    I have been an HTML guy for 8 years or so, but only last year started
    working with PHP. I dabbled in Perl and then moved to PHP after completing
    a couple projects in Perl. I'm thankful I did that, as I'm sure you all
    know.

    I've got a pretty common working knowlege of PHP and using it with mySQL. I
    can do most anything I need to do, but I learn new things by Google'ing or
    using PHP.NET and I'd like to learn some better practices and get away from
    what I'm sure are newbie practices. I've been learning to acomplish one
    specific task at a time, and I'd like a more rounded education on best
    practices.

    I've only recently started using arrays instead of lots of seperate
    variables for example, and I'm sure there are more things (like hashes?)
    that would move me more toward a seasoned programmer and away from being a
    newbie.

    There are hundreds of PHP books out there, and I've ordered a couple, but
    I'm looking for suggestions. First, on whether I should touch PHP5 at this
    point given the fact that it probably won't be on my client's servers? Or
    should I focus on PHP4 for now and then move on to PHP5 at some later date
    when I'm ready and the world is more ready?

    What I don't want to do is to learn a ton of new ways of doing things with
    PHP5 and not be able to use any of it so maybe I've answered my own
    question.

    Please, any suggetions would be appreciated.

    Thanks in advance!

    ----------------
    Shawn Wilson

    Shawn Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Looking for PHP book suggestions...

    This is a link I found by a very good PHP author - this one is on
    Version 4, and he also wrote one on Version 5. I would start with this
    one, considering it's free, and more relevant right now than V5.

    Tom

    http://apress.com/free/content/ProgrammersIntroductionToPHP4.pdf

    ng Guest

  3. #3

    Shawn Wilson wrote:
    <snip>

    You got to be ready for PHP6, IMHO. Probably this might help a bit
    <news:googlegroups.com> (
    http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.php/msg/2f55713f1345dff1 )

    FWIW, my choice is Advanced PHP Programming, by George Schlossnagle
    and High Performance MySQL, by Jeremy D. Zawodny et al.

    --
    <?php echo 'Just another PHP saint'; ?>
    Email: rrjanbiah-at-Y!com Blog: http://rajeshanbiah.blogspot.com

    R. Guest

  4. #4

    "R. Rajesh Jeba Anbiah" <com> wrote in message

    > You got to be ready for PHP6, IMHO.[/ref]

    Are you a troll, or were you just man-handled by one?

    <*SNIP*>

    Aidan Guest

  5. #5

    Shawn Wilson wrote:

    The best book I have seen so far is "PHP 5 Objects, Patterns, and Practice"
    by Matt Zandstra. It focuses on programming instead of language features.

    I am working with PHP 5 for over one and a half years now with great success
    and can only recommend it. If you want to do object oriented programming
    and I think one should, except maybe for the tiniest projects, PHP 5 is the
    only way to go.

    Regards,
    Horst

    Horst Guest