Professional Web Applications Themes

Looking for small/inexpensive point-and-shoot recs - Photography

I have a Toshiba right now that has manual and auto controls. I love it, but I am looking for a small and inexpensive point-and-shoot camera that I can throw in a purse to keep with me "just in case". Nothing fancy, but something that does a decent job that I can print 4x6 if desired. I am looking at the Nikon Coolpix 2500. There is a rebate going on right now too, which makes it desireable. I had originally thought about the Sony U20 but a review I read said the pics weren't that good. Any comments on either ...

  1. #1

    Default Looking for small/inexpensive point-and-shoot recs

    I have a Toshiba right now that has manual and auto controls. I love it, but I
    am looking for a small and inexpensive point-and-shoot camera that I can throw
    in a purse to keep with me "just in case". Nothing fancy, but something that
    does a decent job that I can print 4x6 if desired.

    I am looking at the Nikon Coolpix 2500. There is a rebate going on right now
    too, which makes it desireable. I had originally thought about the Sony U20
    but a review I read said the pics weren't that good. Any comments on either of
    these or something similar. This is going to be a knock-around camera, so I'm
    not looking to pay more than $200. Would like at least 2 mps. Thanks.

    Tina
    PAtina4175 Guest

  2. #2

    [email]patina4175aol.comi[/email]cal (PAtina4175) wrote:
    >I have a Toshiba right now that has manual and auto controls. I love it, but I
    >am looking for a small and inexpensive point-and-shoot camera that I can throw
    >in a purse to keep with me "just in case". Nothing fancy, but something that
    >does a decent job that I can print 4x6 if desired.
    >
    >I am looking at the Nikon Coolpix 2500. There is a rebate going on right now
    >too, which makes it desireable. I had originally thought about the Sony U20
    >but a review I read said the pics weren't that good. Any comments on either of
    >these or something similar. This is going to be a knock-around camera, so I'm
    >not looking to pay more than $200. Would like at least 2 mps. Thanks.
    Tina,

    have a look at these if you're really interested in small ones.

    Only 1.3 Megapixels, but cute:

    [url]http://www.jandr.com/JRProductPage.process?RestartFlow=t&Merchant_Id=1& Section_Id=1000&Product_Id=3709801[/url]

    2 Megapixels and much larger, but still very small:

    [url]http://www.dpreview.com/news/0305/03052801sonydscu30u60.asp[/url]
    [url]http://www.goodguys.com/adtemplate.asp?invky=467186&sourceid=0038618620735 8610582&bfinfo=0-0-0-0-mxwzy&catky=764354[/url]

    Then have a look at the mobile phones and personal organizers
    (Sony Clič etc.) that have a camera built in. If you carry a
    mobile phone anyway, the camera may have an effective size of
    zero. And you can immediately send your photo off as an MMS or
    email.

    Hans-Georg

    --
    No mail, please.
    Hans-Georg Michna Guest

  3. #3

    "PAtina4175" <patina4175aol.comical> wrote in message
    > I have a Toshiba right now that has manual and auto controls. I love it,
    but I
    > am looking for a small and inexpensive point-and-shoot camera that I can
    throw
    > in a purse to keep with me "just in case". Nothing fancy, but something
    that
    > does a decent job that I can print 4x6 if desired.
    >
    > I am looking at the Nikon Coolpix 2500. There is a rebate going on right
    now
    > too, which makes it desireable. I had originally thought about the Sony
    U20
    > but a review I read said the pics weren't that good. Any comments on
    either of
    > these or something similar. This is going to be a knock-around camera, so
    I'm
    > not looking to pay more than $200. Would like at least 2 mps. Thanks.
    >
    > Tina
    Hi Tina,

    [url]www.buydig.com[/url] has the Canon A60 for $202 shipped. 2MP, 3x optical, Auto,
    Program, Aperture or Shutter priority, full manual, lots of scene modes. We
    bought one for the same reason you're looking -- a "take everywhere" camera
    to complement our Canon 10D.

    The A60/A70 series has taken some hits for flat pictures and some for focus
    problems.
    We found easy solutions: select "Vivid" for picture mode if you want the pix
    print ready out of the camera and shut off the 5 point Autofocusing -- just
    use the center focus point. Heck, we shut off the 7 point autofocus on our
    10D for the same reason.

    Many people have problems with multi-point focusing systems because they
    don't pay attention to what the camera has chosen as the focus point(s).
    Easiest solution is to turn it off.

    Takes great pictures!

    Don Coon Guest

  4. #4

    At the suggestion of HRosita on the newsgroup I just purchased a Fuji
    A303 from NewEgg.com for $225.00 with free shipping. It doesn't have all
    of the bells and whistles of some of the more expensive models, but it
    does everything I need, it's a 3.24 meg camera, and it's small enough to
    fit in a shirtpocket.

    Don

    Don Guest