Professional Web Applications Themes

Looking for Usenet Clients - Ubuntu

Hi I recently loaded Ubuntu onto an old laptop, and I was pleasently surprised to see that it does most of what I want to do, just as it is. The one thing I don't see preinstalled is a way to access Usenet. I am looking for two programs: one for reading text posts (I am used to Forte Agent) and one for downloading Binaries (I really like Newsbin). I also need something that will install easily on Ubuntu because I am a Linux newbie. Any suggestions?...

  1. #1

    Default Looking for Usenet Clients

    Hi

    I recently loaded Ubuntu onto an old laptop, and I was pleasently
    surprised to see that it does most of what I want to do, just as it
    is.

    The one thing I don't see preinstalled is a way to access Usenet.

    I am looking for two programs: one for reading text posts (I am used
    to Forte Agent) and one for downloading Binaries (I really like
    Newsbin).

    I also need something that will install easily on Ubuntu because I am
    a Linux newbie.

    Any suggestions?
    Howdy! Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Looking for Usenet Clients

    Howdy! <howdyhowdy.net> writes:
    > I am looking for two programs: one for reading text posts (I am used
    > to Forte Agent) and one for downloading Binaries (I really like
    > Newsbin).
    Pan is great for binaries but I prefer(red) Knode for text groups
    which both can be installed from the Synaptic package
    manager. Nowadays I'm using Gnus within Emacs but I wouldn't recommend
    that for a beginner.
    --
    Regards Jes Vestervang
    Jes Vestervang Guest

  3. #3

    On Wed, 15 Feb 2006 14:54:26 -0500, Howdy! wrote:
    > Hi
    >
    > I recently loaded Ubuntu onto an old laptop, and I was pleasently
    > surprised to see that it does most of what I want to do, just as it
    > is.
    >
    > The one thing I don't see preinstalled is a way to access Usenet.
    A very small percentage of computer users use Usenet, even among techie
    types.
    > I am looking for two programs: one for reading text posts (I am used to
    > Forte Agent) and one for downloading Binaries (I really like Newsbin).
    >
    > I also need something that will install easily on Ubuntu because I am a
    > Linux newbie.
    In a terminal, type

    sudo apt-get install pan

    Or load synaptic from the System menu and search for "pan".

    It meets both your requirements.

    --
    mark south: world citizen, net denizen
    echo [email]znexfbhgu2000lnubb.pb.hx[/email]|tr a-z n-za-m

    Mark South Guest

  4. #4

    On Wed, 15 Feb 2006 21:40:10 +0100, Mark South
    <mark.southnull.invalid> wrote:
    >On Wed, 15 Feb 2006 14:54:26 -0500, Howdy! wrote:
    >
    >> Hi
    >>
    >> I recently loaded Ubuntu onto an old laptop, and I was pleasently
    >> surprised to see that it does most of what I want to do, just as it
    >> is.
    >>
    >> The one thing I don't see preinstalled is a way to access Usenet.
    >
    >A very small percentage of computer users use Usenet, even among techie
    >types.
    >
    >> I am looking for two programs: one for reading text posts (I am used to
    >> Forte Agent) and one for downloading Binaries (I really like Newsbin).
    >>
    >> I also need something that will install easily on Ubuntu because I am a
    >> Linux newbie.
    >
    >In a terminal, type
    >
    >sudo apt-get install pan
    >
    >Or load synaptic from the System menu and search for "pan".
    >
    >It meets both your requirements.
    Thanks. I got it.

    Howdy! Guest

  5. #5

    On Wed, 15 Feb 2006 21:15:02 +0100, Jes Vestervang
    <jes.vestervang> wrote:
    >Howdy! <howdyhowdy.net> writes:
    >
    >> I am looking for two programs: one for reading text posts (I am used
    >> to Forte Agent) and one for downloading Binaries (I really like
    >> Newsbin).
    >
    >Pan is great for binaries but I prefer(red) Knode for text groups
    >which both can be installed from the Synaptic package
    >manager. Nowadays I'm using Gnus within Emacs but I wouldn't recommend
    >that for a beginner.
    Hi Jess

    I installed Pan, and I like it, but I also wanted to try Knode.
    Synaptic wasn't showing up on my system menu for some reason so I used
    the command line to install Knode. It went through all of the motions
    of downloading and installing everything needed (almost 100 MBs, I
    guess there is a lot of overhead for just one "K" app). But Knode
    does not show up on any menu, even after rebooting. How can I access
    this program?

    Thanks
    Howdy! Guest

  6. #6

    * Howdy! wrote in alt.os.linux.ubuntu:

    [...]
    > I installed Pan, and I like it, but I also wanted to try Knode.
    > Synaptic wasn't showing up on my system menu for some reason so I used
    > the command line to install Knode. It went through all of the motions
    > of downloading and installing everything needed (almost 100 MBs, I
    > guess there is a lot of overhead for just one "K" app). But Knode
    > does not show up on any menu, even after rebooting. How can I access
    > this program?
    Click up a terminal

    $ knode

    You can have a GUI tool to edit your menus by installing Smeg

    $ apt-get install smeg

    --
    David
    "Besides, I think [Slackware] sounds better than 'Microsoft,' don't you?"

  7. #7

    Howdy! <howdyhowdy.net> writes:
    > I installed Pan, and I like it, but I also wanted to try Knode.
    > Synaptic wasn't showing up on my system menu for some reason so I
    > used the command line to install Knode.
    Isn't Synaptic still the default package manager front end for Ubuntu?
    Either way they're all front ends for apt-get.
    > It went through all of the motions of downloading and installing
    > everything needed (almost 100 MBs, I guess there is a lot of
    > overhead for just one "K" app).
    Yes there is. However, the next K-app you install will require much
    less overhead. There are many high quality KDE apps so you would
    probably end up havng the extra libraries installed anyway. For
    instance K3b is an excellent cd writer and Amarok is the fanciest,
    most feature rich music player for Unix afaik.
    > But Knode does not show up on any menu, even after rebooting. How
    > can I access this program?
    You can add a button to one of the bars by right clicking where you
    want the launcher, selecting "Add to panel", "Custom application
    launcher" and typing "/usr/bin/knode" in the command field and writing
    whatever you want in the other fields.

    --
    Regards Jes Vestervang (running Kubuntu with KDE after eight years on
    a lot different WMs)

    Jes Vestervang Guest

  8. #8

    SINNER <99nesorjdgates_of_hell.invalid> writes:
    > Click up a terminal
    >
    > $ knode
    And the universal Alt F2 (run), knode [ret].
    --
    Regards
    Jes Vestervang

  9. #9

    On Thu, 16 Feb 2006 01:37:11 +0100, Jes Vestervang
    <jes.vestervang> wrote:
    >Howdy! <howdyhowdy.net> writes:
    >
    >> I installed Pan, and I like it, but I also wanted to try Knode.
    >> Synaptic wasn't showing up on my system menu for some reason so I
    >> used the command line to install Knode.
    >
    >Isn't Synaptic still the default package manager front end for Ubuntu?
    Yes, it was there, but for some reason it did not show up on the menu
    until I tried to install/update it. After that it was on the menu.
    >Either way they're all front ends for apt-get.
    apt-get worked fine. I will prefer to use it whenever I know the name
    of what I need to install.

    >> It went through all of the motions of downloading and installing
    >> everything needed (almost 100 MBs, I guess there is a lot of
    >> overhead for just one "K" app).
    >
    >Yes there is. However, the next K-app you install will require much
    >less overhead.
    That's what I figured.
    >There are many high quality KDE apps so you would
    >probably end up havng the extra libraries installed anyway. For
    >instance K3b is an excellent cd writer and Amarok is the fanciest,
    >most feature rich music player for Unix afaik.
    I'm glad to know that. Have you tried Nerolinux?

    >> But Knode does not show up on any menu, even after rebooting. How
    >> can I access this program?
    >
    >You can add a button to one of the bars by right clicking where you
    >want the launcher, selecting "Add to panel", "Custom application
    >launcher" and typing "/usr/bin/knode" in the command field and writing
    >whatever you want in the other fields.
    Done. Thanks.

    BTW, I haven't used it yet, but, superficially, Knode looks a lot like
    Pan. Why did you prefer it for text?

    Howdy! Guest

  10. #10

    On Thu, 16 Feb 2006 00:28:59 GMT, SINNER
    <99nesorjdgates_of_hell.invalid> wrote:
    >* Howdy! wrote in alt.os.linux.ubuntu:
    >
    >[...]
    >
    >> I installed Pan, and I like it, but I also wanted to try Knode.
    >> Synaptic wasn't showing up on my system menu for some reason so I used
    >> the command line to install Knode. It went through all of the motions
    >> of downloading and installing everything needed (almost 100 MBs, I
    >> guess there is a lot of overhead for just one "K" app). But Knode
    >> does not show up on any menu, even after rebooting. How can I access
    >> this program?
    >
    >Click up a terminal
    >
    >$ knode
    >
    >You can have a GUI tool to edit your menus by installing Smeg
    >
    >$ apt-get install smeg

    Thanks.
    Howdy! Guest

  11. #11

    On 2006-02-15, Howdy! <howdyhowdy.net> wrote:
    > Hi
    >
    > I recently loaded Ubuntu onto an old laptop, and I was pleasently
    > surprised to see that it does most of what I want to do, just as it
    > is.
    >
    > The one thing I don't see preinstalled is a way to access Usenet.
    >
    > I am looking for two programs: one for reading text posts (I am used
    > to Forte Agent) and one for downloading Binaries (I really like
    > Newsbin).
    >
    > I also need something that will install easily on Ubuntu because I am
    > a Linux newbie.
    >
    > Any suggestions?
    Wonder if we'll get the usual $MYNNTPCLIENT rocks! $YOURNNTPCLIENT s
    mudslinging typically associated with such threads. Nah...

    Anyway, I use "slrn" for reading text news groups. For binaries, I was using
    "aub" which does a decent job of going out and getting binaries for you.

    --
    Seth H Holmes
    Seth H Holmes Guest

  12. #12

    * Seth H Holmes wrote in alt.os.linux.ubuntu:
    > On 2006-02-15, Howdy! <howdyhowdy.net> wrote:
    >> Hi
    >>
    >> I recently loaded Ubuntu onto an old laptop, and I was pleasently
    >> surprised to see that it does most of what I want to do, just as it
    >> is.
    >>
    >> The one thing I don't see preinstalled is a way to access Usenet.
    >>
    >> I am looking for two programs: one for reading text posts (I am used
    >> to Forte Agent) and one for downloading Binaries (I really like
    >> Newsbin).
    >>
    >> I also need something that will install easily on Ubuntu because I am
    >> a Linux newbie.
    >>
    >> Any suggestions?
    >
    > Wonder if we'll get the usual $MYNNTPCLIENT rocks! $YOURNNTPCLIENT
    > s mudslinging typically associated with such threads. Nah...
    Is it possible to have this discussion without it? Nah... ;)

    > Anyway, I use "slrn" for reading text news groups. For binaries, I was
    > using "aub" which does a decent job of going out and getting binaries
    > for you.
    slrn is awesome but a beginner needs to be diligent as it is not the
    easiest client to set up. Does a decent job of binaries with a patch or 2
    depending on needs.

    --
    David

    SINNER Guest

  13. #13

    On Thu, 16 Feb 2006 12:06:39 -0600, Seth H Holmes
    <sholmesnottellingyouthiseither.com> wrote:
    >On 2006-02-15, Howdy! <howdyhowdy.net> wrote:
    >> Hi
    >>
    >> I recently loaded Ubuntu onto an old laptop, and I was pleasently
    >> surprised to see that it does most of what I want to do, just as it
    >> is.
    >>
    >> The one thing I don't see preinstalled is a way to access Usenet.
    >>
    >> I am looking for two programs: one for reading text posts (I am used
    >> to Forte Agent) and one for downloading Binaries (I really like
    >> Newsbin).
    >>
    >> I also need something that will install easily on Ubuntu because I am
    >> a Linux newbie.
    >>
    >> Any suggestions?
    >
    >Wonder if we'll get the usual $MYNNTPCLIENT rocks! $YOURNNTPCLIENT s
    >mudslinging typically associated with such threads. Nah...
    >
    >Anyway, I use "slrn" for reading text news groups. For binaries, I was using
    >"aub" which does a decent job of going out and getting binaries for you.
    I installed these, and added them to the applications menu, but they
    don't run when I try to start them. What am I doing wrong?
    Howdy Guest

  14. #14

    On Thu, 16 Feb 2006 18:47:35 +0000, SINNER wrote:
    > * Seth H Holmes wrote in alt.os.linux.ubuntu:
    >
    >> On 2006-02-15, Howdy! <howdyhowdy.net> wrote:
    >>> Hi
    >>>
    >>> I recently loaded Ubuntu onto an old laptop, and I was pleasently
    >>> surprised to see that it does most of what I want to do, just as it
    >>> is.
    >>>
    >>> The one thing I don't see preinstalled is a way to access Usenet.
    >>>
    >>> I am looking for two programs: one for reading text posts (I am used
    >>> to Forte Agent) and one for downloading Binaries (I really like
    >>> Newsbin).
    >>>
    >>> I also need something that will install easily on Ubuntu because I am
    >>> a Linux newbie.
    >>>
    >>> Any suggestions?
    >>
    >> Wonder if we'll get the usual $MYNNTPCLIENT rocks! $YOURNNTPCLIENT
    >> s mudslinging typically associated with such threads. Nah...
    >
    > Is it possible to have this discussion without it? Nah... ;)
    >

    >> Anyway, I use "slrn" for reading text news groups. For binaries, I was
    >> using "aub" which does a decent job of going out and getting binaries
    >> for you.
    >
    > slrn is awesome but a beginner needs to be diligent as it is not the
    > easiest client to set up. Does a decent job of binaries with a patch or 2
    > depending on needs.
    I like Pan.

    Randy

    randy Guest

  15. #15

    On Thu, 16 Feb 2006 20:38:04 -0500, Howdy wrote:
    <SNIP>
    > I installed these, and added them to the applications menu, but they
    > don't run when I try to start them. What am I doing wrong?
    Try to start them from a console, e.g. "/usr/bin/slrn". Either the app
    will start or you'll get an error message.

    HTH
    Al

    Al Krieger Guest

  16. #16

    On Fri, 17 Feb 2006 01:28:42 -0500, Al Krieger <almy.house> wrote:
    >On Thu, 16 Feb 2006 20:38:04 -0500, Howdy wrote:
    ><SNIP>
    >> I installed these, and added them to the applications menu, but they
    >> don't run when I try to start them. What am I doing wrong?
    >
    >Try to start them from a console, e.g. "/usr/bin/slrn". Either the app
    >will start or you'll get an error message.
    >
    >HTH
    >Al
    Thanks.
    It is telling me I need to create a directory, but I'm not sure how.
    I don't have time to fool with it at the moment. I'll try later.
    Howdy Guest

  17. #17

    * Howdy wrote in alt.os.linux.ubuntu:
    > On Fri, 17 Feb 2006 01:28:42 -0500, Al Krieger <almy.house> wrote:
    >>On Thu, 16 Feb 2006 20:38:04 -0500, Howdy wrote:
    >><SNIP>
    >>> I installed these, and added them to the applications menu, but they
    >>> don't run when I try to start them. What am I doing wrong?
    >>Try to start them from a console, e.g. "/usr/bin/slrn". Either the app
    >>will start or you'll get an error message.
    > Thanks.
    > It is telling me I need to create a directory, but I'm not sure how.
    > I don't have time to fool with it at the moment. I'll try later.
    slrn is going to take much more than that. You'll need to dedicate a
    good amount of time to get it running the way you like.

    --
    David
    Life is the childhood of our immortality.

  18. #18

    On 2006-02-17, Howdy <howdyhowdy.net> wrote:
    > I installed these, and added them to the applications menu, but they
    > don't run when I try to start them. What am I doing wrong?
    slrn and aub are both command line applications. Try running them from a
    terminal window. aub is kind of "run it and forget it".

    --
    Seth H Holmes
    Paragon Jousting [url]http://www.paragonjousting.com[/url]

  19. #19

    Howdy! <howdyhowdy.net> writes:
    >>There are many high quality KDE apps so you would probably end up
    >>havng the extra libraries installed anyway. For instance K3b is an
    >>excellent cd writer and Amarok is the fanciest, most feature rich
    >>music player for Unix afaik.
    >
    > I'm glad to know that. Have you tried Nerolinux?
    No, but the reviews I've read tends to be in favour of k3b. Lots of
    reviews here: <http://www.google.com/search?q=nerolinux+vs.+k3b>
    > BTW, I haven't used it yet, but, superficially, Knode looks a lot
    > like Pan. Why did you prefer it for text?
    Actually I don't really remember. I guess you'll have to try them both
    for a while to really find the differences.
    --
    Regards
    Jes Vestervang

  20. #20

    * Walter Mitty wrote in alt.os.linux.ubuntu:
    > "SINNER" risked the wrath of Usenet weenies mastering
    [...]
    >> slrn is going to take much more than that. You'll need to dedicate a
    >> good amount of time to get it running the way you like.
    > But worht it :)
    Soooo Worth it :)
    > Sinner, while you're there : what is your printer setup for your
    > HP6110? What driver do you have in GIMP?
    I JUST finished formating the machine that was connected to the printer.
    Give me the weekend to get back up and running on that box and if you
    haven't gotten answers elewhere, I will chime in.
    > How did you install it? Is it usb?
    Yes, it is USB.

    --
    David
    People who fight fire with fire usually end up with ashes.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast