Professional Web Applications Themes

Looks good in PhotoShop, but... - Photography

I imported a photo from my D70 (JPG) into Photoshop and played with it a bit until it looked pretty damn good. I then saved it in My Pictures folder in XP and looked at it there where it looked like crap. Actually, the original photo looks better in My Pictures, but not as good in PhotoShop. What's the story here? Sheldon net...

  1. #1

    Default Looks good in PhotoShop, but...

    I imported a photo from my D70 (JPG) into Photoshop and played with it a bit
    until it looked pretty damn good. I then saved it in My Pictures folder in
    XP and looked at it there where it looked like crap. Actually, the original
    photo looks better in My Pictures, but not as good in PhotoShop.

    What's the story here?

    Sheldon
    net

    Sheldon Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Looks good in PhotoShop, but...

    "Sheldon" <net> wrote in

    Color management. Your D70 pictures does not have the
    same color space as photoshop thinks your monitor has.
    Maybe photshop thinks your monitor is sRGB and that the
    D70 outputs Adobe RGB. Or ... it might be some other
    combination.

    /Roland
    Roland Guest

  3. #3

    "Roland Karlsson" <com> wrote in message

    > Color management. Your D70 pictures does not have the
    > same color space as photoshop thinks your monitor has.
    > Maybe photshop thinks your monitor is sRGB and that the
    > D70 outputs Adobe RGB. Or ... it might be some other
    > combination.
    >

    > /Roland[/ref]

    Well, I was told to set the color on the camera to Adobe, so that might be
    it. However, all looked okay until I went to Adobe, made it look "better",
    and then went back to JPG. On my p and s camera the images look the same in
    Adobe as they do when I bring them up in any program.

    Sheldon

    Sheldon Guest

  4. #4

    Sheldon wrote:

    >> Color management. Your D70 pictures does not have the
    >> same color space as photoshop thinks your monitor has.
    >> Maybe photshop thinks your monitor is sRGB and that the
    >> D70 outputs Adobe RGB. Or ... it might be some other
    >> combination.
    >>

    >> /Roland[/ref]
    >
    > Well, I was told to set the color on the camera to Adobe, so that
    > might be it. However, all looked okay until I went to Adobe, made it
    > look "better", and then went back to JPG. On my p and s camera the
    > images look the same in Adobe as they do when I bring them up in any
    > program.[/ref]

    The anti-Midas touch?

    Frank Guest

  5. #5

    "Frank ess" <com> wrote in message

    >> Well, I was told to set the color on the camera to Adobe, so that
    >> might be it. However, all looked okay until I went to Adobe, made it
    >> look "better", and then went back to JPG. On my p and s camera the
    >> images look the same in Adobe as they do when I bring them up in any
    >> program.[/ref]
    >
    > The anti-Midas touch?[/ref]

    It's the anti-something. I took the camera out of Adobe mode and back to
    default. We'll see what happens. I guess I'm still climbing "up" the
    learning curve. :-)

    Sheldon Guest

  6. #6

    "Sheldon" <net> wrote in message

    After saving the photo out of Ps in a different name, use internet explorer
    to see how it looks.

    Mac Guest

  7. #7

    I took the camera out of Photoshop mode, and now the images look the same in
    the computer (My Pictures) as they do in Photoshop. Still working with
    jpegs at this time, and trying to figure how to use the unsharp mask.

    >> The anti-Midas touch?[/ref]
    >
    > It's the anti-something. I took the camera out of Adobe mode and back to
    > default. We'll see what happens. I guess I'm still climbing "up" the
    > learning curve. :-)
    >

    >[/ref]

    Sheldon Guest

  8. #8

    > I took the camera out of Photoshop mode, and now the images look the same
    in

    If your camera was shooting in Adobe RGB color space, then image programs
    that aren't capable of using said color space will not display them
    correctly. You can, however, convert them to sRGB in Photoshop, which is
    what virtually all PC programs use as a default, so they should look better.

    Adobe RGB has a larger color gamut, so if you're willing to go through the
    conversion process, you're better off shooting in it than sRGB. RAW is, of
    course, better still, but there are tradeoffs in speed, size, and processing
    with that as well.

    steve

    Steve Guest

  9. #9

    "Steve Wolfe" <com> wrote in message
    > in
    >
    > If your camera was shooting in Adobe RGB color space, then image programs
    > that aren't capable of using said color space will not display them
    > correctly. You can, however, convert them to sRGB in Photoshop, which is
    > what virtually all PC programs use as a default, so they should look
    > better.
    >
    > Adobe RGB has a larger color gamut, so if you're willing to go through
    > the
    > conversion process, you're better off shooting in it than sRGB. RAW is,
    > of
    > course, better still, but there are tradeoffs in speed, size, and
    > processing
    > with that as well.
    >
    > steve
    >[/ref]
    Thanks for the explanation. At least now I understand what happened. I've
    been playing a bit with Photoshop today (well, Photoshop LE), and found it's
    easy to overdo it with the unsharpening mask. I made a flower look
    terrible, but by not overdoing it, I managed to really sharpen up a
    portrait, and you can really see it when printed. Not sure she'll be happy
    about it (BG), but now I'm getting the photos I expected from the camera.
    And I haven't even started with RAW yet.

    Still have a lot of learning to do, but I'll get there.

    Thanks again.

    Sheldon Guest