Professional Web Applications Themes

Looks like I was TOTALLY wrong about the new DREBEL -so far - Photography

Well, I was wrong about the price. They REALLY surprised me. I expected the new DRebel(with kit lens) to cost at least as much as the "20" body. If it can come even CLOSE to the "20" in low noise high ISO, they have me sold. As soon as I've seen some pictures taken by independant users, or Phill at Dpreview (which ever comes first) I'll make my final decision. I have been saying, all winter, that I was going to get a DSLR in the spring. Now that they have put the new Rebel out there I wont have ...

  1. #1

    Default Looks like I was TOTALLY wrong about the new DREBEL -so far

    Well, I was wrong about the price.

    They REALLY surprised me. I expected the new DRebel(with kit lens) to cost
    at least as much as the "20" body.

    If it can come even CLOSE to the "20" in low noise high ISO, they have me
    sold.

    As soon as I've seen some pictures taken by independant users, or Phill at
    Dpreview (which ever comes first) I'll make my final decision.

    I have been saying, all winter, that I was going to get a DSLR in the spring.

    Now that they have put the new Rebel out there I wont have any excuse for
    stalling, if its as good as I hope it is.

    I had whittled it down to the "20", but if I can get the same (or nearly the
    same) performance in a smaller, lighter, less expensive package, I'll go for
    the new Rebel.

    The kit lens will be fine to start out with, then I'll need a lens that can
    cover 60 to 200mm(equivalent) and I'll be home free for most of my shooting
    season.

    I think I have found a way around the "horse dust" body penetration on a
    DSLR, and if it works, I'll be sure to post it here.

    Either way, it will be a "new" DRebel, or the "20" that goes into the show
    ring with me after the first couple of shows.

    As far as the smaller lighter battery is concerned, I'll just get 2 extras
    and keep 'em charged and in the pocket of my vest. (got used to doing that
    with my Sony 717 and the 828 that came after it, though I cant remember ever
    needing a spare with either camera while in the ring.. those L-ion batteries
    seem to last FOREVER)

    Larry Guest

  2. #2

    Sleepless nights over this? Sounds like you have it all figured out. Not
    being a professional photographer, I still love my Rebel, and unless
    something new can develop 8x10s inside the body, I'll keep what I have. It
    all comes down to marketing the product, doesn't it?

    "Larry" <net> wrote in message

    Toomanyputters Guest

  3. #3

    "Larry" <net> wrote in message

    Check out the 28-135 f3.5-5.6 IS USM, equivalent to 45-215mm at less than
    $400 at B&H.
    And there was never any doubt that the Rebel XT would retail for less than
    the 20D, there's no way Canon was going to produce a camera with fewer
    features, less rugged construction, name it the Rebel (consumer/entry level
    name) and charge anything like the price of the 20D.
    As far as battery usage goes, you'll be surprised at the battery drain of AF
    on the larger lenses of a DSLR and, when you add IS to the mix, you'll need
    those spares.

    --
    Skip Middleton
    http://www.shadowcatcherimagery.com

    Skip Guest

  4. #4

    "Larry" <net> wrote in message

    No surprise you were wrong.

    Dave Guest

  5. #5

    "Larry" <net> wrote in message
    cost

    Why? The lens goes for only $70 at some places.

    I want to see battery life.

    GT

    G.T. Guest

  6. #6

    In article <supernews.com>, com
    says...
    > cost
    >
    > Why? The lens goes for only $70 at some places.

    > I want to see battery life.
    >
    > GT
    >

    >[/ref]

    Battery life is VERY important, but I never go into the ring withou at least
    2 spares (or sets of spares) for whatever camera I'm carrying.

    In an "A" circuit horse show, I cant leave the ring until the horses do, and
    the next class will enter as the ending class exits. If I have to shoot 10
    consecutive classes I could be in the ring for quite a long while.

    I had avoided the DRebel (and DSLRS in general) because the few times I used
    one in the ring, dirt, dust and crud got into the camera in VERY short order
    even though I hadn't removed or changed a lens. To shorten a long story, Ive
    come up with a cure for THAT problem (I think) and if it works (or even just
    improves the situation) I was going to get a D20 (or is it 20D I never
    remember), but for a first DSLR maybe the NEW Rebel is what I need.

    Im not too excited about the 8mp (I already shoot 5mp with the 8mp Sony I
    have) but the features the New Rebel has over the OLD Rebel seem to make it a
    less expensive alternative for me.

    --
    Larry Lynch
    Mystic, Ct.

  7. #7

    "Larry" <net> wrote in message
    >> cost
    >>
    >> Why? The lens goes for only $70 at some places.
    >>

    >> I want to see battery life.
    >>
    >> GT
    >>

    >>[/ref]
    >
    > Battery life is VERY important, but I never go into the ring withou at
    > least
    > 2 spares (or sets of spares) for whatever camera I'm carrying.
    >
    > In an "A" circuit horse show, I cant leave the ring until the horses do,
    > and
    > the next class will enter as the ending class exits. If I have to shoot 10
    > consecutive classes I could be in the ring for quite a long while.
    >
    > I had avoided the DRebel (and DSLRS in general) because the few times I
    > used
    > one in the ring, dirt, dust and crud got into the camera in VERY short
    > order
    > even though I hadn't removed or changed a lens. To shorten a long story,
    > Ive
    > come up with a cure for THAT problem (I think) and if it works (or even
    > just
    > improves the situation) I was going to get a D20 (or is it 20D I never
    > remember), but for a first DSLR maybe the NEW Rebel is what I need.
    >
    > Im not too excited about the 8mp (I already shoot 5mp with the 8mp Sony
    > have) but the features the New Rebel has over the OLD Rebel seem to make
    > it a
    > less expensive alternative for me.
    >

    > --
    > Larry Lynch
    > Mystic, Ct.[/ref]

    Trust me, the 8mp on your Sony bears little resemblance to 8mp on a DSLR.
    As far as the dust issue, a thought came to me this morning, what if you
    used an underwater housing, one of those flexible plastic bag affairs that
    divers feel are pretty useless for using with a camera underwater? It
    should do pretty good with keeping dust out.

  8. #8

    In article <sDlRd.32098$xt.21527fed1read07>, net
    says...

    Or buy mine when/if I decide to upgrade to the new Rebel and the 17-85
    f/4-5.6 IS USM!
    Brian Guest

  9. #9

    In article <4PtRd.32136$xt.31920fed1read07>, net says...

    I didn't mean just the Sony, I meant ALL of the so-called Pro-sumer 8mp
    cameras. (most of them use the same sensor as the Sony or at least a sensor
    MADE by Sony)

    I expect the larger sensor on a DSLR to be orders of magnitude better than
    anything in any of the 8mp DZLRs or whatever we are calling them this week.

    I've used just about all of them and none of them can hold a candle to any of
    the 6mp DSLR cameras.

    As for the flexible bag, it cant be used reliably around horses. Your flash
    wont usually bother them, but the simple rustling of a plastic bag will
    either spook them, or make them come running toward you. (they will run
    toward you if their owner usuall brings them treats in a plastic bag, like
    the ones Carrots come in at the grocers) Horses are VERY strange about
    certain things... Plastic bags and cellophane are two of those things.

    The fix Im working on is a new sealant we got at my place of work.

    It comes out of a dispensor can that LOOKS like a can of "Silly String".

    The stuff comes out of the can looking like "silly string" too.

    You squirt some out onto a piece of clean waxed paper and wait about 30
    seconds. After 30 seconds (at room temperature) you slice off the length you
    want and put it over any seam you think dust is getting in through, you put
    it all the way around a seam like where the lens meets the camera body. Its
    NOT sticky, but it stays where you put it as long as the surface is not oily.

    You leave it on the seam, hinge, opening, or whatever (for up to a week after
    a week it will just fall off) and when you are done in the dusty atmosphere,
    you simply snag it with your finger nail and pull it off. It leaves no
    visible residue, and doesn't leave a sticky spot. It acts like a three way
    cross between Silly Putty, silly string, and that gunk you can use to post
    notes on a wall.

    It comes in black, white, and red. (and its VERY expensive, about $60 (us)
    for an 8 ounce dispensor).

    The product is called "dust seal number 3".

    I dont know the manufacturer, as I havent seen the paper work on it, only the
    demonstration.

    I hate to spend $60 on an experiment, but if it works, it will be worth it.

    I've had it on and off a Minolta Maxxum film SLR with several lenses and it
    hasnt caused any grief yet.

    --
    Larry Lynch
    Mystic, Ct.

  10. #10

    "Larry" <net> wrote in message

    > I didn't mean just the Sony, I meant ALL of the so-called Pro-sumer 8mp
    > cameras. (most of them use the same sensor as the Sony or at least a
    > sensor
    > MADE by Sony)
    >
    > I expect the larger sensor on a DSLR to be orders of magnitude better than
    > anything in any of the 8mp DZLRs or whatever we are calling them this
    > week.
    >
    > I've used just about all of them and none of them can hold a candle to any
    > of
    > the 6mp DSLR cameras.
    >
    > As for the flexible bag, it cant be used reliably around horses. Your
    > flash
    > wont usually bother them, but the simple rustling of a plastic bag will
    > either spook them, or make them come running toward you. (they will run
    > toward you if their owner usuall brings them treats in a plastic bag, like
    > the ones Carrots come in at the grocers) Horses are VERY strange about
    > certain things... Plastic bags and cellophane are two of those things.
    >
    > The fix Im working on is a new sealant we got at my place of work.
    >
    > It comes out of a dispensor can that LOOKS like a can of "Silly String".
    >
    > The stuff comes out of the can looking like "silly string" too.
    >
    > You squirt some out onto a piece of clean waxed paper and wait about 30
    > seconds. After 30 seconds (at room temperature) you slice off the length
    > you
    > want and put it over any seam you think dust is getting in through, you
    > put
    > it all the way around a seam like where the lens meets the camera body.
    > Its
    > NOT sticky, but it stays where you put it as long as the surface is not
    > oily.
    >
    > You leave it on the seam, hinge, opening, or whatever (for up to a week
    > after
    > a week it will just fall off) and when you are done in the dusty
    > atmosphere,
    > you simply snag it with your finger nail and pull it off. It leaves no
    > visible residue, and doesn't leave a sticky spot. It acts like a three way
    > cross between Silly Putty, silly string, and that gunk you can use to post
    > notes on a wall.
    >
    > It comes in black, white, and red. (and its VERY expensive, about $60 (us)
    > for an 8 ounce dispensor).
    >
    > The product is called "dust seal number 3".
    >
    > I dont know the manufacturer, as I havent seen the paper work on it, only
    > the
    > demonstration.
    >
    > I hate to spend $60 on an experiment, but if it works, it will be worth
    > it.
    >
    > I've had it on and off a Minolta Maxxum film SLR with several lenses and
    > it
    > hasnt caused any grief yet.
    >

    > --
    > Larry Lynch
    > Mystic, Ct.[/ref]

    The plastic these are made of is more like that of a collapsible cooler,
    rather than a plastic grocery bag. The just make a crumpling noise. The
    only one I've ever seen couldn't rustle if you filled it with leaves! <G>

  11. #11

    In article <N4zRd.32188$xt.2525fed1read07>, net says...

    Havent actually used one so I dont know whether it would work or not..

    I'de really prefer that the camera NOT be in a bag.

    This sealing stuff Im working with SEEMS like it might be the right way to
    go.

    I just cleaned out the 35mm Maxxum I was testing it on and there wasnt any
    dust to speak of inside the camera.

    Probably just going to get the new DRebel and "Have at it".

    The only thing I will miss is the Laser focus assist on the Sony cameras.

    --
    Larry Lynch
    Mystic, Ct.