Professional Web Applications Themes

Lookup for table entry - MySQL

Garry Jones wrote: > "Paul Lautman" <paul.lautmanbtinternet.com> skrev i meddelandet > news:4k924iFb53kpU1individual.net... > >> The way that you were doing it in Access is the CORRECT way to do it. >> Database Normaisation tules say that data should not be repeated >> unnecessarily in multiple tables. > > Thats what I thought. In Access I can create queries, but so far I > have only used tables in phpadmin. How do I create a query using > phpadmin, my supplier has blocked navicat and all other external > connections, so I am working in raw format and finding things a ...

  1. #1

    Default Re: Lookup for table entry

    Garry Jones wrote:
    > "Paul Lautman" <paul.lautmanbtinternet.com> skrev i meddelandet
    >
    >> The way that you were doing it in Access is the CORRECT way to do it.
    >> Database Normaisation tules say that data should not be repeated
    >> unnecessarily in multiple tables.
    >
    > Thats what I thought. In Access I can create queries, but so far I
    > have only used tables in phpadmin. How do I create a query using
    > phpadmin, my supplier has blocked navicat and all other external
    > connections, so I am working in raw format and finding things a bit
    > tricky.
    > Garry Jones
    > Sweden
    I think your understanding is a bit wrong. Data is held in tables wherher in
    Access or MySQL.

    The way that you retrieve information from the tables, whether in Access or
    MySQL is by writing a query.

    The query in your first post should work perfectly well on MySQL.

    You may be creating VIEWs in Access. Views can also be created in the newer
    versions of MySQL, but you don't need to create a view to run the query.

    Paul Lautman Guest

  2. #2

    > I think your understanding is a bit wrong. Data is held in tables wherher
    > in Access or MySQL.
    I understand that but I am not explaning myself very well. In Access I press
    Query and can use the boxes to set things up as I like. Phpmadmin is in raw
    format, no nice user interface to assist me with boxes I can click on. A
    query looks like a table. In Access I can click on tables or queries. Then I
    get a list of all my existing tables or queries. The data is displayed in
    identical ways.

    Excuse the daft question, but where are the MySQL queries in phpadmin? All I
    see is a list of tables on the left hand side.

    Point me in the right direction, the rest I will work out for myself -
    eventually.

    Thanks for your patience.

    Garry Jones
    Sweden

    Garry Jones Guest

  3. #3

    "Garry Jones" <garry.jonesmorack.se> wrote:
    > "Paul Lautman" <paul.lautmanbtinternet.com> skrev i meddelandet
    >
    >> I think your understanding is a bit wrong. Data is held in tables wherher
    >> in Access or MySQL.
    >
    > I understand that but I am not explaning myself very well. In Access I press
    > Query and can use the boxes to set things up as I like. Phpmadmin is in raw
    > format, no nice user interface to assist me with boxes I can click on. A
    > query looks like a table. In Access I can click on tables or queries.
    > Excuse the daft question, but where are the MySQL queries in phpadmin? All I
    > see is a list of tables on the left hand side.
    Ahh, that's a common misunderstanding among Access users. See, Access
    is not a 'database' like MySQL is. In fact the term 'database' is
    misleading already. A better term would be DBMS - DataBase Management
    System. That's what MySQL is.

    Access is different. It contains something similar to a DBMS - the
    JetEngine. Some people call that 'driver for .MDA files' too.

    Besides Access is a universal database client application. It can
    show you data definition, the content of tables - and you can create
    queries and see their results. However, queries are not database
    objects (contrary to tables or views). Queries are objects in the
    Access client application.

    Access can connect to arbitrary DBMS, provided there is a driver
    available. MySQL calls those drivers 'connector' and there is a
    connector/ODBC that can be used to connect to MySQL from ODBC aware
    client applications. Access is such a ODBC client. So if you connect
    from Access to MySQL via ODBC, you can store your 'MySQL' queries just
    like your 'Access' queries, because in fact they are 'Access' queries
    all the same. Read here about connector/ODBC:
    [url]http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/myodbc-connector.html[/url]

    phpMyAdmin is a universal client for MySQL (not multi-DBMS like
    Access). Also the client is much more simplistic than the Access one.
    I.e. it does not know the notion of 'query object'.

    HTH, XL

    Online User Manual: [url]http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.0/en/[/url]
    MySQL User Forums: [url]http://forums.mysql.com/[/url]
    Axel Schwenke Guest

  4. #4

    Garry Jones wrote:
    > I understand that but I am not explaning myself very well. In Access I press
    > Query and can use the boxes to set things up as I like. Phpmadmin is in raw
    > format, no nice user interface to assist me with boxes I can click on. A
    > query looks like a table. In Access I can click on tables or queries. Then I
    > get a list of all my existing tables or queries. The data is displayed in
    > identical ways.
    >
    > Excuse the daft question, but where are the MySQL queries in phpadmin? All I
    > see is a list of tables on the left hand side.
    In phpmyadmin you can bookmark a query so that you can run it again
    easily.
    Also as I said before, you can create a view that runs the complete
    complicated query, but the view creation is a function of MySQL and not
    of phpmyadmin.

    If you have remote access to the MySQL installation, then as Axel
    pointed out, you can point Access to it and save your queries in Access
    as before.

    paul_lautman@yahoo.com Guest