Professional Web Applications Themes

Loss of Resolution When Placing Adobe PhotoShop Images In InDesign CS Doents - Adobe Indesign Windows

I would think that when exporting or copying Adobe PhotoShop images into InDesign CS, also produced by Adobe, that one would get a good to excellent transfer---but I am not. My graphics, generated in PhotoShop, are printing out with terrific resolution from Photoshop, but are coming into InDesign through WINDOWS in exceptionally poor resolution, and look terrible. I have tried everything I can think of, i.e. saving in PhotoShop to TIFF files, using the "place" feature, the copy and paste feature, and nothing works. I am a former Quark Express user, and these graphics went into Quark doents without any ...

  1. #1

    Default Loss of Resolution When Placing Adobe PhotoShop Images In InDesign CS Doents

    I would think that when exporting or copying Adobe PhotoShop images into InDesign CS, also produced by Adobe, that one would get a good to excellent transfer---but I am not. My graphics, generated in PhotoShop, are printing out with terrific resolution from Photoshop, but are coming into InDesign through WINDOWS in exceptionally poor resolution, and look terrible. I have tried everything I can think of, i.e. saving in PhotoShop to TIFF files, using the "place" feature, the copy and paste feature, and nothing works. I am a former Quark Express user, and these graphics went into Quark doents without any loss in quality whatsoever. What am I missing? What do I need to do to get my PhotoShop graphics into my InDesign CS doents? I am a new owner of InDesign, trying to learn it, so please help me with my graphics importing. I have read every book, help, forum, etc. item I can find, and have not received help on this.
    Regards, Jeanine
    Jeanine_Ricketts@adobeforums.com Guest

  2. #2

    You say you are a new user, so please excuse some basic questions. Are these
    graphics looking poor on screen only, or on print-out as well?

    If on-screen only, are you aware of InDesign's display options which show
    low resolution graphics for faster page redraw when editing?

    If not, go to Object>Display Performance and select high quality. You can do
    this on a per-graphic basis by right clicking on each graphic.

    Ken_Grace@adobeforums.com Guest

  3. #3

    And in addition to Ken's thought, always File > Place the graphic file. Never copynpaste. EEEEvil!

    Mike Witherell in Washington DC
    mikewitherell_at_jetsetcom_dot_net Guest

  4. #4

    I have tried everything I can think of, i.e. saving in PhotoShop to TIFF
    files, using the "place" feature, the copy and paste feature, and nothing
    works.

    1. Forget about 'copy' & 'paste' through clipboard.
    -> Save your finished work in Photoshop as TIFF (normally), PSD e.tc.
    -> Place in ID your image.

    2. Saving your work in Photoshop, you have to check with your image resolution settings.
    - For good results you should have around 300 dpi for 1:1 scale of the image. 600 dpi for a 1:2 scale e.tc.

    Copying through clipboard will go through low screen res - usually 72 dpi to 100 dpi.

    rgrds
    George
    George_Bilalis@adobeforums.com Guest

  5. #5

    Make sure send image data is set to all when printing. For some unknown
    reason the default is optimized subsampling which IMO is absolutely
    ridiculous.

    Bob

    Bob_Levine Guest

  6. #6

    I always have Display on High Quality and I use PSD files the most for placing.
    Karen_C@adobeforums.com Guest

  7. #7

    Place your Photoshop image (TIFF) in the frame. The image may be smaller than intended so right-click on the frame and select Fitting > Fit Content to Frame.
    Unregistered Guest