Professional Web Applications Themes

lost ability to drag icons - Mac Applications & Software

In article <auctionbuyer-00ADD3.18360527062003newstest2.earthlink.net>, Big Spender <auctionbuyerearthlink.net> wrote: >I lost the ability to drag file icons. Menus function, and windows are >dragable. Yet while file and folder icons "select", they won't move. > >A new .dmg seems to have created the problem on my PowerBook 667 running >OSX. When I tried to view the file contents (after the disk was >"installed"), Finder crashed. Repeated attempts caused more programs >to crash. The last time, every GUI program, from iCal to Netscape died. > >I logged out, and when I came back, I couldn't drag icons. That seemed >to be the only malfunction. ...

  1. #1

    Default Re: lost ability to drag icons

    In article
    <auctionbuyer-00ADD3.18360527062003newstest2.earthlink.net>,
    Big Spender <auctionbuyerearthlink.net> wrote:
    >I lost the ability to drag file icons. Menus function, and windows are
    >dragable. Yet while file and folder icons "select", they won't move.
    >
    >A new .dmg seems to have created the problem on my PowerBook 667 running
    >OSX. When I tried to view the file contents (after the disk was
    >"installed"), Finder crashed. Repeated attempts caused more programs
    >to crash. The last time, every GUI program, from iCal to Netscape died.
    >
    >I logged out, and when I came back, I couldn't drag icons. That seemed
    >to be the only malfunction. I tried resetting some system preferences
    >for the mouse, as well as another log-out.
    >
    >Finally, I rebooted. That fixed the problem, yet I wonder what
    >happened. Does anyone have an idea how I might repair the problem
    >without rebooting?
    >
    >All theories are welcome.
    There's a system process that crashes if it see a corrupted .DS_Store
    file. Everything goes to hell from there on. Turn on crash reporting
    in Console's preferences to see it happen.

    You'll have to delete the .DS_Store file on the command line and then
    restart the computer.
    Kevin McMurtrie Guest

  2. #2

    In article
    <auctionbuyer-00ADD3.18360527062003newstest2.earthlink.net>,
    Big Spender <auctionbuyerearthlink.net> wrote:
    > I lost the ability to drag file icons. Menus function, and windows are
    > dragable. Yet while file and folder icons "select", they won't move.
    >
    > <snip>
    > Finally, I rebooted. That fixed the problem, yet I wonder what
    > happened. Does anyone have an idea how I might repair the problem
    > without rebooting?

    I've had that happen about 3 times..... rebooting fixed it for me, too.
    No idea what does.... just sympathy.

    "We really haven't done everything we could to protect our
    customers ... Our products just aren't engineered for security."
    -- Brian Valentine, Sr VP in charge of MS Windows' Dev Team
    Thom Rosario Guest

  3. #3

    In article
    <auctionbuyer-00ADD3.18360527062003newstest2.earthlink.net>,
    Big Spender <auctionbuyerearthlink.net> wrote:
    > I lost the ability to drag file icons. Menus function, and windows are
    > dragable. Yet while file and folder icons "select", they won't move.
    >
    > A new .dmg seems to have created the problem on my PowerBook 667 running
    > OSX. When I tried to view the file contents (after the disk was
    > "installed"), Finder crashed. Repeated attempts caused more programs
    > to crash. The last time, every GUI program, from iCal to Netscape died.
    >
    > I logged out, and when I came back, I couldn't drag icons. That seemed
    > to be the only malfunction. I tried resetting some system preferences
    > for the mouse, as well as another log-out.
    >
    > Finally, I rebooted. That fixed the problem, yet I wonder what
    > happened. Does anyone have an idea how I might repair the problem
    > without rebooting?
    coreservicesd crashed. That's a low-level system process that controls
    things like icon placement, some parts of drag and drop, and some other
    things. Unfortunately, the only way to get it running effectively again
    is to restart.

    -Eric

    --
    Eric Albert [email]ejalbertstanford.edu[/email]
    [url]http://rescomp.stanford.edu/~ejalbert/[/url]

  4. #4

    Download a utiliy called Dragster from [url]http://www.ifthensoft.com[/url]

    --
    Sandman[.net]
    Sandman Guest

  5. #5

    the Dock and the desktop are mated -
    if the dock does not function, dragging or in any other way manipulating
    desktop icons fails.

    I know - I tried to disable the dock....

    Sandman wrote:
    > In article <auctionbuyer-00ADD3.18360527062003newstest2.earthlink.net>,
    > Big Spender <auctionbuyerearthlink.net> wrote:
    >

    >>I lost the ability to drag file icons. Menus function, and windows are
    >>dragable. Yet while file and folder icons "select", they won't move.
    >>
    >>A new .dmg seems to have created the problem on my PowerBook 667 running
    >>OSX. When I tried to view the file contents (after the disk was
    >>"installed"), Finder crashed. Repeated attempts caused more programs
    >>to crash. The last time, every GUI program, from iCal to Netscape died.
    >>
    >>I logged out, and when I came back, I couldn't drag icons. That seemed
    >>to be the only malfunction. I tried resetting some system preferences
    >>for the mouse, as well as another log-out.
    >>
    >>Finally, I rebooted. That fixed the problem, yet I wonder what
    >>happened. Does anyone have an idea how I might repair the problem
    >>without rebooting?
    >>
    >>All theories are welcome.
    >

    > Download a utiliy called Dragster from [url]http://www.ifthensoft.com[/url]

    Fetch, Rover, Fetch Guest