Professional Web Applications Themes

Lost ODBC connection during peak periods - Coldfusion Database Access

For the past few days, we have experience a few case where Coldfusion loses connection to Oracle after heavy traffic. I found that but using Coldfusion Administrator and verify the connection will re-establish the connection again. I want to know whether it is possible to verify the connection from the command line. This way I can use a batch file and automate this. Thanks....

  1. #1

    Default Lost ODBC connection during peak periods

    For the past few days, we have experience a few case where Coldfusion loses
    connection to Oracle after heavy traffic. I found that but using Coldfusion
    Administrator and verify the connection will re-establish the connection again.
    I want to know whether it is possible to verify the connection from the command
    line. This way I can use a batch file and automate this.

    Thanks.

    paulchow Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Lost ODBC connection during peak periods

    You should be able to automate this by using cfschedule. Or by scheduling a
    task in the CF administrator. The task just needs to browse to the same URL
    that CF administrator uses (and supply the necessary logins as requested).
    Here is how I can check the connection to 'FlakyDB' on my server. My task
    browses to
    'https://DevelopmentDMZ/cfide/administrator/datasources/index.cfm?verifydsn=Flak
    yDB' -- MikeR

    MikerRoo Guest

  3. #3

    Thanks Mike,
    Can you also tell me how to add the login details to the URL ?

    Thanks.
    paulchow Guest

  4. #4

    I don't know if you can add the login to the URL but usually you don't need to.
    Also, this would be a security problem. Set up the task using CF
    administrator. Use 127.0.0.1 as the server name. I.E:
    'https://127.0.0.1/cfide/administrator/datasources/index.cfm?verifydsn=FlakyDB'
    In my case, a user name and password are only required because the directories
    are secured via SSL. I provide those credentials to the CF scheduler. CF
    administrator (and cfschedule) have parameters whereby you can specify the
    username and password. I haven't had to specify the CF admin password itself.
    But I haven't tested the exact scenario you have. let me know how it works
    out.

    MikerRoo Guest

  5. #5

    I tried using the scheduler inside CF administrator. I did say it completed
    succesfully on the screen right away. I also specified an output file. Inside
    the output file it said 'HTTP 401.2 - Unauthorized: Logon failed due to server
    configuration'. I did specified the admin username and password inside
    scheduler. Now I am stuck.

    paulchow Guest

  6. #6

    Mike,

    Is there a way to "Release all cached Data Source connections" programmatically first before verifying ?

    Thanks,

    Sameer.
    Sameer Guest

  7. #7

    paulchow, I'm sorry. It appears that you cannot use cfscheduler to automate
    this task. Probably because it resides in the admin app. There are other
    automated ways to call a web page that you can find and use, though. Also, it
    may be possible to use the same java calls that CF admin does but that is for
    someone else to help you with. -- MR Sameer, My guess is that this is
    possible, via java calls, but it is beyond my expertise and time budget to
    provide details. (Also, we have never seen these kinds of issues, with data
    sources, at my shop.) Good luck, -- MikeR

    MikerRoo Guest

  8. #8

    Actually there is a way.... Check out the Admin API
    [url]http://livedocs.macromedia.com/coldfusion/7/htmldocs/wwhelp/wwhimpl/common/html/[/url]
    wwhelp.htm?context=ColdFusion_Doentation&fi le=part_adm.htm. The
    datasource component has the methods that will allow you to verify datasources.
    So, you would write a page that verifies the DSN using the admin API. That
    page would then be called by the scheduler. Happy coding! -- MikeR

    MikerRoo Guest