Professional Web Applications Themes

lost photo - Adobe Photoshop Elements

I cropped a photo and then saved it using the save command, thereby losing the original. I meant to use save as. Is the original anywhere in my computer that I might retrieve it? I know now the importance of creating a set of duplicates before I start doing enhancements....

  1. #1

    Default lost photo

    I cropped a photo and then saved it using the save command, thereby losing the original. I meant to use save as. Is the original anywhere in my computer that I might retrieve it? I know now the importance of creating a set of duplicates before I start doing enhancements.
    Glenn Vatter Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: lost photo

    Glenn,

    Where did that photo come from? If it's a digital camera and you've not yet
    erased or reformat the card, chances the photo is still there.
    If it comes from the web, it may be in your temporary internet folder.

    If you're using Windows, run a search on your computer and give the first
    few letters of the name of the file as parameters. Search the entire
    computer, including hidden and system disk, just to make sure.

    Ray

    Ray Guest

  3. #3

    If you have Norton System Works installed, you may be able to recover it from the Norton protected recycle bin (windoze)

    Paul
    Paul L UK Guest

  4. #4

    I don't believe the Norton Recycle Bin tracks overwritten files, only
    deleted ones?

    Do XP restore points track/revert to previous file versions?

    Mac
    Mac McDougald Guest

  5. #5

    Mac,

    XP doesn't know or care about file versions.

    Glenn,

    As Ray indicated, you can either go to your original source (if from a camera, etc.) or do a Search/Find for the file, if you remember the filename you used, OR, you can even do a SEARCH for the file format, perhaps and see where all your images are stored. But, I suspect you'll find it in My Doents\My Pictures. That's the usual default folder unless you signify other .. even easier, if you did a SAVE, then just open Elements, File, Open Recent and you should see the last ten images you've opened/saved. It should be there.

    Bob
    BobHill Guest

  6. #6

    Bob,

    The problem is that Glen lost the original by overwriting it. So, if Glen
    opens Elements, of course, the file will still be under Recent. But that's
    not going to do Glen any good. Elements will re-open the same croped file.
    This is why I suggested a system wide search to see if the file wouldn't
    stored some place else as well as under My Doents \ My Pictures.

    By the way, this is the default storage folder for all applications. For
    example, Photoshop Album uses My Pictures\Adobe\Digital Camera Photos\sub
    folder, and some Logitech cameras uses My Galleries at the root of C:.

    So Glen, look elsewhere, you might have another copy on your hard drive.

    Ray

    Ray Guest

  7. #7

    Glenn,

    You didn't mention what operating system you have. I'm going to assume
    Windows as I don't know about the MAC.

    When you save over an existing photo, it doesn't overwrite the exact same
    area on the disk. Typically, the new file is written, the old file is
    marked deleted and the space it used is marked free, and the new file is
    given the old files name. The old space is not overwritten. If you have an
    "undelete" utility, and you act fast, you can generally recover the file.
    But, time is your enemy. The more you use the computer, the stronger the
    likelyhood that the original space will be allocated and overwritten.

    Here's an article that discusses recovery and lists some tools. It's a very
    long url, you may have to cut and paste this into your browser if the full
    link isn't recognized by your reader.

    [url]http://www.apcmag.com/apc/apcmag.nsf/EA67FCD4C82B07A1CA256AC200040A09/4D81DA[/url]
    6CAF1A8066CA256D1A00252067

    The article is written about Windows 2000 but it equally applies to Windows
    98, NT, ME, and XP. (Windows XP doesn't support ntfs file system so that
    won't apply to it of course.)

    It's probably too late to recover this file but you may wish to obtain and
    install an undelete utility for the next time.

    If you have a Mac, someone else will need to tell you about whether undelete
    is available or possible.

    Good luck,
    Bob

    RobertHJones Guest

  8. #8

    Bob :

    (Windows XP doesn't support ntfs file system so that
    won't apply to it of course.)

    Ehh.. Windows XP does indeed support NTFS. On the other hand, 98 and ME do not support NTFS, not natively anyway.

    Ray
    Raymond Robillard Guest