Professional Web Applications Themes

Lost "Save for Web" - Adobe Photoshop Elements

I un-installed Netscape 7.0 and installed Netscape 7.1 a few days ago. After working on a picture in PE2, I clicked on Save for Web. It couldn't find Netscape 7.0. Of course, it had been deleted. So I went to the folder where Netscp.exe resides and copied it. Then went to C:\program files\adobe\photoshop elements 2\helpers\preview in\. I removed the old shortcut and put in the new one. I should add that I did it this way because when Save for Web came up initially, it asked me to browse to the correct location. I tried but somehow it got the ...

  1. #1

    Default Lost "Save for Web"

    I un-installed Netscape 7.0 and installed Netscape 7.1 a few days ago. After working on a picture in PE2, I clicked on Save for Web. It couldn't find Netscape 7.0. Of course, it had been deleted. So I went to the folder where Netscp.exe resides and copied it. Then went to C:\program files\adobe\photoshop elements 2\helpers\preview in\. I removed the old shortcut and put in the new one. I should add that I did it this way because when Save for Web came up initially, it asked me to browse to the correct location. I tried but somehow it got the location wrong. Well now, when I click on Save for Web, absolutely nothing happens. I tried re-booting.

    Any help would be appreciated. I use Windows ME and accept your sympathies on that.

    Eva
    Eva Deck Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Lost "Save for Web"

    There is no where to set the default browser in the control panel AFAIK
    (I suspect this is deliberate, so as to try to stop putting in peoples
    heads that they might use something other than IE)

    To change the default browser you either have to change the settings for
    opening HTML file types, or do it via the browser - their is usually a
    check box making it the default browser.

    Anyway Adobe seem to ignore this default setting anyway.

    My default is set to Opera, and other HTML files open in it. But the
    help etc. always opens in IE when called from within Elements or
    whatever. Same with the 'Save to web' preview options, it is set to IE
    be default, even though that isn't my default browser.
    --
    Chris French

    Chris French Guest

  3. #3

    Thanks for all your suggestions. I will probably try re-installing PE2, but I thought I would try some of the other suggestions as well. Who knows? I might learn something :-).

    To Chris: removing the Netscape 7 shortcut completely, didn't help. I haven't tried re-installing yet.

    "photoshop elements prefs" and
    "photoshop elements 2.0 prefs".
    I assume that if I delete the "photoshop elements 2.0 prefs" it will be rebuilt when I re-open PE2? Am I guessing correctly that the "photoshop elements prefs" is left over from PE1?

    To Chris: Help opens with Netscape, but when I still had Save for Web, IE was the listed default.

    I'll await further comments before I try re-installing, mainly because I'd like to learn more about troubleshooting the program.
    Thanks for all the help. Eva
    Eva Deck Guest

  4. #4

    Chris - Just reinstalling won't help to overcome corrupt preferences, as they are retained during the process- to delete preferences the easy wasy you need to hold down the control/alt/shift (command option shift for macs) keys as Elements starts up - gives a dialogue box. the fact that Adobe built this option in gives some indication of the number of problems corrupt prefs. can cause - and how frequently they are a problem! (However I don't think that this is one of them....)

    Susan S.
    Susan S. Guest

  5. #5

    Oh sure, I wasn't suggesting it would.

    I was just saying that reinstalling might sort out the problem anyway
    (whatever it is exactly) - and That I would try that one first, before I
    spent time on fiddling about.
    --
    Chris French

    Chris French Guest

  6. #6

    In message <1de9f7b6.5WebX.la2eafNXanI>, Beth Haney
    <bhaneyspeakeasy.net> writes
    >Hmmm. I've never used Win ME so didn't realize you couldn't set a
    >default browser. Too bad. I'm able to do it on both Win 98 and XP Pro,
    >so I assumed ME would be similar. Wrong again, but what else is new? :)

    Hmm, this could well be one of those things in windows that varies
    depending on the version of IE installed, the pahse of the moon etc.

    I don't ever remember under win98 being able to choose the default
    browser like you can say default email program or newsreader.

    Here on Win2k I can choose to have IE as the default browser, but I
    can't directly choose her any other browser, I have to let them take
    control as it were - or delve around. but you can have a default browser
    that is not IE

    >And Chris, I might not have been tracking your final comment correctly,
    >but in case I was, an uninstall doesn't always get rid of the
    >Preference folder. I know it doesn't make sense, but ... What can I say?

    As I said elsewhere, I realise this, but a corrupted preferences file
    may nor be the problem of course.

    BTW, it makes perfect sense to me not to overwrite the preferences on
    reinstalling,
    >Eva, get rid of the Preference folders, do a reinstall and try again on
    >the Save for Web. Your new browser is now in place, so maybe as PSE is
    >installing it will just automatically pick it up, since you default
    >seems OK. You can hope anyway! However, if it insists on IE, at least
    >you'll get something.

    As I said, IME here PSE ignmores the default browser anyway for this,
    you have to tell it if you want it to use something else to preview in
    --
    Chris French

    Chris French Guest

  7. #7

    Maybe the problem is Netscape 7.1?

    Trying removing that and re-installing 7.0 again maybe? (though of
    course the change - whatever it is made by 7.1 may not get undone)

    I long ago gave up NS with NS6 - just seemed to get slow, bloated and
    buggy. (apparently AOL are also giving up on it as well now)
    --
    Chris French

    Chris French Guest

  8. #8

    I love Netscape 7.1 so un-installing that is probably the last thing I would do. (NS6 was indeed buggy.) At my total wits end (and I don't have a lot of wits to begin with) I went to Windows system restore and chose last Tuesday when I knew I was already using NS7.1 and hadn't used PE2 for a few days. Having done so many un-install/installs of PE2, system restore got confused because when I opened PE2, the program couldn't find any folders, fonts, etc. So I deleted preferences and preview-in, and un-installed PE2 once more and re-installed. Now Save for Web comes up and it is back to where it was when it first couldn't find NS7.0. It still can't find it because it isn't there. It asks if I want want to browse for it which is what I tried to do when it stopped working. This time I decided to let well enough alone, for a while anyway, and just hit cancel. The save for web dialogue continues and works just fine. Whew! I don't want to go through that again.

    To all of you who helped, thanks! I hope my experience and half-solution helps someone else.
    Eva Deck Guest

  9. #9

    I'm glad you at least got it working again, Eva. It sounds as though something just deleted it right out of the application, doesn't it? Strange.

    And what's even stranger is that this morning I was looking through my Elements 2 application folder, trying to figure out where the Save for Web pieces are stored. I never found it! Has anybody been successful in locating it? If so, where is it?
    Beth Haney Guest

  10. #10

    This morning I installed a trial version of the new PixelGenius Sharpener, and now "save for web" is grayed out in PS (optimized still works in ImageReady).

    I've tried dumping and restoring prefs and removing Sharpener, but no joy.

    I don't know if Sharpener is the culprit. Is there anything else that can cause this? Some accidental setting I might have overlooked?

    This is on a Win2k system.

    Any other ideas?

    Thanks,
    Cathy