Professional Web Applications Themes

M-CONTRIBUTE? or a better solution? - Macromedia Dreamweaver

This is a common issue, I'm sure. I just would like to know the most efficient solution. I have designed a site for a client, who needs to do occasional updates to the content (almost always text only). In the past, I have asked her to just email me the changes and I go in and apply them. Fine... Now she is asking to be able to update the text herself to make things a little more accessible. I know the new prog. 'Contribute' is one solution to this problem, but what did developers (you all) do before the program? ...

  1. #1

    Default M-CONTRIBUTE? or a better solution?

    This is a common issue, I'm sure. I just would like to know the most efficient solution. I have designed a site for a client, who needs to do occasional updates to the content (almost always text only). In the past, I have asked her to just email me the changes and I go in and apply them. Fine...

    Now she is asking to be able to update the text herself to make things a little more accessible.

    I know the new prog. 'Contribute' is one solution to this problem, but what did developers (you all) do before the program? I'm looking for some different options since I don't know how much I will use Contribute, so am not sure whether or not it's worth the $.

    Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

    Thanks in advance,

    Richard

    regeisle webforumsuser@macromedia.com Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: M-CONTRIBUTE? or a better solution?

    Hi Richard,

    I installed Contribute for one of my clients.
    It is really easy for the client to update any text content, if you
    designed you pages with a template,
    then the client can only edit the areas that you allow him.

    The downside to Contribute is: it is slow like hell.

    regards
    Stefan

    "regeisle" <webforumsusermacromedia.com> wrote in message
    > This is a common issue, I'm sure. I just would like to know the most
    efficient solution. I have designed a site for a client, who needs to do
    occasional updates to the content (almost always text only). In the past, I
    have asked her to just email me the changes and I go in and apply them.
    Fine...

    > Now she is asking to be able to update the text herself to make things a
    little more accessible.

    > I know the new prog. 'Contribute' is one solution to this problem, but
    what did developers (you all) do before the program? I'm looking for some
    different options since I don't know how much I will use Contribute, so am
    not sure whether or not it's worth the $.

    > Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
    >
    > Thanks in advance,
    >
    > Richard

    Stefan Kursawe Guest

  3. #3

    >I'm looking for some different options since I don't know how much I will
    use Contribute, so am not sure whether or not it's worth the $.

    If you have Dreamweaver 6.1 (MX with the 6.1 updater) then you don't need
    Contribute.
    Your client would be the one using it.

    Is your web site primarily static content? Then Contribute may be a good
    option.

    Why not get your client to download the 30 day no-obligation Trial version
    of Contribute 2.0 and try it out for herself?

    --
    Regards

    John Waller

    John Waller Guest

  4. #4

    Richard--

    Contribute is a little on the slow side as each page that needs to be edited
    is pulled from the server, a temporary page is built, and then the whole
    thing goes up by FTP when the user clicks the Publish button. So, on a fast
    connection the download isn't too bad, but on dial-up it's a bit slow.

    Why Contribute over Dreamweaver? Cost of course is one factor, but also by
    using DW and Contribute together you have all sorts of options as the site
    administrator, specifically in regards to keeping the client out of areas
    you don't want them playing in. Also, they would need to be up to speed on
    the FTP function of DW as well as the more difficult work environment. With
    Contribute they get a password from you, are given permission to edit only
    those pages you want them working with, and can easily send their changes on
    to the server when they're ready.

    You might want to take a look at this article. It talks about what sites
    work well with the DW/Contribute
    combination and the kinds of things you want to look out for if you decide
    to go that route.

    [url]http://www.macromedia.com/devnet/contribute/articles/contribute_client.html[/url]

    --
    Kim Cavanaugh, author
    Beginner's Guides to Dreamweaver and Fireworks
    "regeisle" <webforumsusermacromedia.com> wrote in message
    > This is a common issue, I'm sure. I just would like to know the most
    efficient solution. I have designed a site for a client, who needs to do
    occasional updates to the content (almost always text only). In the past, I
    have asked her to just email me the changes and I go in and apply them.
    Fine...

    > Now she is asking to be able to update the text herself to make things a
    little more accessible.

    > I know the new prog. 'Contribute' is one solution to this problem, but
    what did developers (you all) do before the program? I'm looking for some
    different options since I don't know how much I will use Contribute, so am
    not sure whether or not it's worth the $.

    > Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
    >
    > Thanks in advance,
    >
    > Richard

    Kim Cavanaugh Guest

  5. #5

    Marvelous article... very useful... thank you!

    E. T. Culling Guest

  6. #6

    Thanks for the helpful info. Looks like contribute will be the best option, since it's mostly basic text
    changes. Guess I'll have her give the demo a try. Thanks for all the help!

  7. #7

    Thanks Eleanor, and you're most welcome.

    --
    "E. T. Culling" <etcetcnotatcrcwnet.com> wrote in message
> [...]
    > > > This is a common issue, I'm sure. I just would like to know the most
    > > efficient solution. I have designed a site for a client, who needs to
    do
    > > occasional updates to the content (almost always text only). In the
    past,
    > > have asked her to just email me the changes and I go in and apply them.
    > > Fine...
    > > >
    > > > Now she is asking to be able to update the text herself to make things
    > > little more accessible.
    > > >
    > > > I know the new prog. 'Contribute' is one solution to this problem, but
    > > what did developers (you all) do before the program? I'm looking for
    some
    > > different options since I don't know how much I will use Contribute, so
    am
    > > not sure whether or not it's worth the $.
    > > >
    > > > Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

    Kim Cavanaugh Guest

  8. #8

    Hmm....say if you edit the same file a second time like a day from now and
    most of the files like images are already downloaded and still the same.

    Is it still slow on the download?

    How about the Upload? Is that faster since it should not be uploading the
    template or images if that's not what the Contribute user is not allowed to
    edit?

    dc

    dc Guest

  9. #9

    Richard

    You might want to also look at the article from Joe about cobranding
    contribute as it is very easy to do, and makes it looks like the program is
    an extension of the service you provide.

    --
    Regards

    Paul Whitham
    Valleybiz Internet Design
    [url]www.valleybiz.net[/url]

    Team Macromedia Volunteer for Ultradev/Dreamweaver MX
    [url]www.macromedia.com/support/forums/team_macromedia[/url]
    > Thanks for the helpful info. Looks like contribute will be the best
    option, since it's mostly basic text
    > changes. Guess I'll have her give the demo a try. Thanks for all the
    help!

    > Richard

    Paul Whitham TMM Guest

  10. #10

    Stefan Kursawe wrote:
    > for my opinion far too slow.
    If you saw connection slowness in 1.0, then you might want to download
    the trial of 2.0... it rewrote the connection engine for security as
    well as speed. (We still usually do more operations than a single file,
    though, and it will never be as zippy as editing a local file.) If
    you've got 1.0, then the 2.0 (with FlashPaper) is $9.99 through the end
    of September.

    jd

    --
    John Dowdell, Macromedia Developer Support, San Francisco CA
    Search technotes: [url]http://www.macromedia.com/support/search/[/url]

    John Dowdell Guest

  11. #11

    Hi John,

    tried version 2.0, it indeed is faster than 1.0.

    On my 1.5 MB DSL line it still took 1m 45sec to open a page as draft,
    better than before, but far from being speedy.

    After hitting the EDIT button, I see a .LCK file (34 bytes).
    A _notes and a _baks folder with every single file on the site.

    Do you have a technical doent that explains, what you are doing ?
    I'd really like to understand, why it takes so long.

    Last time when I explained my client how to use Contribute, he already
    ran out of
    patience since it took 7 minutes to edit a file on his 750KB DSL line.

    Stefan
    > If you saw connection slowness in 1.0, then you might want to download
    > the trial of 2.0... it rewrote the connection engine for security as
    > well as speed.

    Stefan Kursawe Guest

  12. #12

    The three types of files are as follows;

    The .lck is a lock file used if you have check in/out enabled. It is
    designed to prevent two people trying to edit the same file at the same
    time. The .mno files are the notes files that can be used to track changes
    to the files. Unless you are going to use them then I suggest you turn them
    off in the DMX site control. I think that you can also turn the check in/out
    off as well but you run the risk of site administration problems.

    The baks folder holds the backup versions of each file edited in CT & DMX
    that is used should you wish to roll back to a previous version.

    --
    Regards

    Paul Whitham
    Valleybiz Internet Design
    www.valleybiz.net

    "Stefan Kursawe" <net> wrote in message

    >[/ref]

    Paul Guest

  13. #13

    Stefan Kursawe wrote:

    Wow, that's extremely long, all right. I'd recommend taking that to the
    Contribute forum, because Donald Booth is trying to collect balking
    setups. It would be great if you could isolate out the factors a bit
    first... the one-or-all-machines, one-or-all-sites,
    one-or-all-connections types of tests (checking that that machine
    doesn't work similarly slow across all networks, for instance). It would
    be great to find out why that case is so different.

    jd

    --
    John Dowdell, Macromedia Developer Support, San Francisco CA
    Soapbox column: http://www.macromedia.com/desdev/jd_forum/

    John Guest