Professional Web Applications Themes

Mac + Avi + Toast -> DVD? - Mac Applications & Software

I have a large, high quality .avi file of a 13 minute short film that I'd like to burn to DVD. It was orginally extracted from a DVD and I downloaded it from alt.binaries. mpeg.video.music. I use a Mac G4 with OS X.26. The current version of Quicktime Pro cannot read this file, but VideoLAN Client v0.62 plays it fine... so I know it works. Question: What do I need to do to successfully burn this .avi film to a DVD that will run properly in a DVD player? I'm a newbie at demuxing, etc., so I'd like to get ...

  1. #1

    Default Mac + Avi + Toast -> DVD?

    I have a large, high quality .avi file of a 13 minute short film that
    I'd like to burn to DVD. It was orginally extracted from a DVD and I
    downloaded it from alt.binaries. mpeg.video.music. I use a Mac G4
    with OS X.26. The current version of Quicktime Pro cannot read this
    file, but VideoLAN Client v0.62 plays it fine... so I know it works.

    Question: What do I need to do to successfully burn this .avi film to
    a DVD that will run properly in a DVD player?

    I'm a newbie at demuxing, etc., so I'd like to get an understanding of
    what is involved here instead of just guessing and going through trial
    and error.

    Thanks in advance,
    Jeff
    jeff Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Mac + Avi + Toast -> DVD?

    In article <280820031746388169%net>, jeff in la
    <net> wrote:

    Jeff,

    Once again, the easiest way to repurpose this is to use ffmpegX. Choose
    one of the DVD presets (probably hi-bitrate DVD (NTSC), considering the
    length and that you're in the US). This will give you a DVD-compatible
    MPEG-2 file that you can drop on Toast 6 to burn -- select the Video
    pane and then choose DVD in the drawer. Tell Toast to generate the menu
    and you're good to go.

    If you don't have Toast 6, you can use Sizzle to create a very basic
    menu and build a disc image (.dmg) file that you can burn to a DVD-R
    using Toast 5 or even Apple's built-in Disc Burner software.

    --
    Spenser
    sbt Guest

  3. #3

    sbt <com.invalid> wrote in message news:<280820031841568402%com.invalid>...

    > Jeff,
    >
    > Once again, the easiest way to repurpose this is to use ffmpegX. Choose
    > one of the DVD presets (probably hi-bitrate DVD (NTSC), considering the
    > length and that you're in the US). This will give you a DVD-compatible
    > MPEG-2 file that you can drop on Toast 6 to burn -- select the Video
    > pane and then choose DVD in the drawer. Tell Toast to generate the menu
    > and you're good to go.
    >
    > If you don't have Toast 6, you can use Sizzle to create a very basic
    > menu and build a disc image (.dmg) file that you can burn to a DVD-R
    > using Toast 5 or even Apple's built-in Disc Burner software.[/ref]

    You could also just skip the ffmpegX step.

    Drop the AVI right into Toast 6. It will do the mpeg encoding for you.
    You can choose NTSC/High from the setting drawer.
    It couldn't be any simpler.
    fingerman Guest

  4. #4

    thanks for both replies...

    I don't have Toast 6 (yet), so I'll give ffmpegX a try again...
    I never did get it to work on that last problem clip I had before,
    sbt, so I forgot that that should be my first place to begin...

    Still tinkering wtih this stuff,
    jb
    jeff Guest

  5. #5

    After some delay, I've finally gotten around to trying this... and
    with the new version of ffmpegX (0.0.8b) I've finally had success!

    Now I have a new issue, however: After burning the resulting
    VIDEO_TS folder with Toast 5.2.1 to DVD, I'm left with a disk
    that plays alright except for one thing... The audio lags the image
    by a second or two.

    I suspect this is a common problem with (hopefully) easy
    remedies, but since I've never made it this far before, I
    haven't paid attention to this topic. Any pointers for me,
    sbt? I'm getting closer -- with your help!

    Thanks again,
    Jeff

    sbt <com.invalid> wrote:

    ->Jeff,
    ->

  6. #6

    In article <100920031405385342%net>, jeff in la
    <net> wrote:

    Okay, Jeff, congratulations.

    Now, just to be clear, are you seeing the lack of synchronization when
    playing on the computer or on the TV?

    If it's on the computer, it might just be that the data rate is too
    high for the computer to keep in sync. If it is on the TV, then there
    is something off in the encoding and a much more detailed inspection of
    the source and result would be in order to ascertain the cause.

    --
    Spenser
    sbt Guest

  7. #7

    Okay... My earlier comments were based on viewing it on my computer,
    which is a fast 1.2 ghz G4.

    Before seeing your message, I tried burning it again with a c opy of
    Toast 6 -- with the same bad synchronization result on my computer
    monitor.

    This morning I tried watching both on a TV. Results:

    The Toast 5.2.1 disk played with sound, but the same lack of
    synchronization.

    The Toast 6 disk played with no sound whatsoever.

    It gets curiouser and curiouser!

  8. #8

    In article <110920030813452208%net>, jeff in la
    <net> wrote:

    Jeff,

    Assuming you still have my e-mail, contact me off-line with contact
    info (maybe even phone #) and I'll try to walk through this process
    with you.

    --
    Spenser
    sbt Guest