Professional Web Applications Themes

Mac Cube speakers dead, can't find replacements - Mac Applications & Software

The USB digital speakers of my Mac Cube started to go bad three weeks ago and they finally failed all together this week. I've been looking for replacements, but could only find the Apple clear ball speakers. Apple wants $100 for these speakers and they have to be special ordered. Anybody aware of any replacements? I can't seem to find any surplus or used speakers. This is a real pain when the only audio output is in a USB stream. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. TIA...

  1. #1

    Default Mac Cube speakers dead, can't find replacements

    The USB digital speakers of my Mac Cube started to go bad three weeks
    ago and they finally failed all together this week. I've been looking
    for replacements, but could only find the Apple clear ball speakers.
    Apple wants $100 for these speakers and they have to be special ordered.
    Anybody aware of any replacements? I can't seem to find any surplus
    or used speakers. This is a real pain when the only audio output is in
    a USB stream.

    Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

    TIA

    Nobody Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Mac Cube speakers dead, can't find replacements

    In article <Bby8b.4284$gnilink.net>,
    Nobody <com> wrote:

    You might want to look into a Griffin iMic or simliar. $35 or so, and
    then you can plug into any powered speakers or stereo you want.
    iMeowbot Guest

  3. #3

    Entity Nobody spoke thus:

    What's wrong with this:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2753111250&category=25 449

    Or you could get the Harman Kardan Soundsticks. They sound great.

    Meanwhile, you might want to use VirtualSpeaker:
    http://www.syndrome3d.com/dev/vspeaker/

    -- Gnarlie
    http://www.Gnarlodious.com/Entities/Computer/Cube/Cube.html

    Gnarlodious Guest

  4. #4

    Nobody <com> writes:

    There are lots of different USB speaker systems available - both from
    Apple and from third parties. They won't plug into the USB-speaker
    dongle that the Cube came with, but will instead plug directly into a
    USB port.

    Go to your favorite computer/electronics store and pick out something
    that sounds good and fits your budget. They don't have to be made by
    Apple and the shouldn't have to advertise explicit MacOS
    compatibility - as far as I know, all USB speakers are plug-n-play.

    -- David
    David Guest

  5. #5

    I played is safe and ordered a Griffin iMic USB audio convertor. I
    almost bought a set of KLH USB speakers, but was leary about
    compatability. They should work with a Mac, but I couldn't find any
    liturature stating so. Another negative for the KLH solution is KLH
    discontinued the speakers last year.

    I'll let you know how things work out.

    David C. wrote:

    Nobody Guest