Professional Web Applications Themes

Mac .eps to PC .eps Help - Macromedia Freehand

I got a problem trying to save a Mac .eps file and open it with a PC. A company is saving their Mac version of the file as a dos-compatable .eps file and then I am trying to open it with Freehand on a PC. It will open but all that is displayed is a flat black and white version of the image with nothing editable. Its like it flatten all the layers and did a real bad black and white conversion. I was able to open the file with photoshop and see color. Is there a way that I ...

  1. #1

    Default Mac .eps to PC .eps Help

    I got a problem trying to save a Mac .eps file and open it with a PC.

    A company is saving their Mac version of the file as a dos-compatable .eps
    file and then I am trying to open it with Freehand on a PC. It will open but
    all that is displayed is a flat black and white version of the image with
    nothing editable. Its like it flatten all the layers and did a real bad black
    and white conversion. I was able to open the file with photoshop and see color.

    Is there a way that I can just save it as a Mac .eps file and open it on a PC?
    Or what am I doing wrong? Please help.

    Nick

    Cool fisher Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Mac .eps to PC .eps Help

    Is the company creating the .eps file from Freehand on a Mac? If so, they
    should instead just convert the type to paths and save/export it as a native
    FH file in a version format that you can open with your PC, appending the
    appropriate ".fh?" extension (and sending you any linked graphics as well).
    If they're creating the .eps from Illustrator, they should convert the type
    to outlines and save in Illustrator 7 format (assuming they haven't used any
    fancy new features since 7 that would be lost in the conversion), again
    appending the appropriate ".ai" extension. Either of these you should be
    able to open directly from within Freehand.

    Bill Schuhle

    "Cool fisher" <webforumsusermacromedia.com> wrote in message
    > I got a problem trying to save a Mac .eps file and open it with a PC.
    >
    > A company is saving their Mac version of the file as a dos-compatable
    ..eps
    > file and then I am trying to open it with Freehand on a PC. It will open
    but
    > all that is displayed is a flat black and white version of the image with
    > nothing editable. Its like it flatten all the layers and did a real bad
    black
    > and white conversion. I was able to open the file with photoshop and see
    color.

    > Is there a way that I can just save it as a Mac .eps file and open it on
    a PC?
    > Or what am I doing wrong? Please help.
    >
    > Nick

    Bill Schuhle Guest

  3. #3

    Ok, that makes since now, b/c I remember working with a couple files from them
    a while back and I remember having to point Freehand to the independant image
    files. I will give them and call and see if that works.

    Thanks

    Cool fisher Guest

  4. #4

    Yes that worked after several phone calls and emails converting the file worked.
    thanks again.

    Nick
    Cool fisher Guest