Professional Web Applications Themes

Mac FH10 to PC FH10 problems - Macromedia Freehand

I've read all the posts I could find on this but still no luck: Ad agency guys use Mac Freehand 10 to create print art. We wanna use these files to create corresponding video stuff. They use Macs...we use PCs. They give us FH10 file and we can't open them. We've tried having them stuffit first (and zip and RAR) to no avail. We've had them save as fh9, fh8, fh7....still no go. We have MacOpener installed on the PCs (this has helped in the past for PhotoShop stuff). Oddly enough, they can open FH10 docs that we create. (PC->Mac ...

  1. #1

    Default Mac FH10 to PC FH10 problems

    I've read all the posts I could find on this but still no luck:

    Ad agency guys use Mac Freehand 10 to create print art.

    We wanna use these files to create corresponding video stuff.

    They use Macs...we use PCs.

    They give us FH10 file and we can't open them.
    We've tried having them stuffit first (and zip and RAR) to no avail.
    We've had them save as fh9, fh8, fh7....still no go.
    We have MacOpener installed on the PCs (this has helped in the past for PhotoShop stuff).
    Oddly enough, they can open FH10 docs that we create. (PC->Mac ok)

    We've even tried to think different ;) but we can't make it work.

    Any help is appreciated!

    Chris Rucci
    Art Boy, Inc.
    [url]www.artboyinc.com[/url]

    ChrisRucci webforumsuser@macromedia.com Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Mac FH10 to PC FH10 problems

    FH10 Win can open FH10 files created with FH10 Mac. This means that your
    problem is either:
    1. The method you use to open the files. You fail to specify, so I can't say
    if this applies or not.
    2. They way "they give" you the files.

    FH files on Mac do not have extensions by default. Unless you add the
    extension, they can be opened on Windows only by using the File>Open dialog
    and changing the dialog's file filter. Either select "All Files" in the
    Files of Type field or enter *.* in the File Name field. Other methods of
    opening the file (double clicking on it, drag & drop to FH icon, ...) will
    generally fail without the proper extension.

    If that is not your problem then the file is being damaged in transit. Mac
    files should be ZIPed or BinHexed (HQX format) before being sent by email.
    They should "travel well" if saved to Windows formatted portable media
    (burned to CD, saved to floppy or Flash RAM card, ...)

    "ChrisRucci" <webforumsusermacromedia.com> wrote in message
    > I've read all the posts I could find on this but still no luck:
    >
    > Ad agency guys use Mac Freehand 10 to create print art.
    >
    > We wanna use these files to create corresponding video stuff.
    >
    > They use Macs...we use PCs.
    >
    > They give us FH10 file and we can't open them.
    > We've tried having them stuffit first (and zip and RAR) to no avail.
    > We've had them save as fh9, fh8, fh7....still no go.
    > We have MacOpener installed on the PCs (this has helped in the past for
    PhotoShop stuff).
    > Oddly enough, they can open FH10 docs that we create. (PC->Mac ok)
    >
    > We've even tried to think different ;) but we can't make it work.
    >
    > Any help is appreciated!
    >
    > Chris Rucci
    > Art Boy, Inc.
    > [url]www.artboyinc.com[/url]

    david gangwisch Guest

  3. #3

    The plot thickens....

    I opened one of their files in Notepad to examine the ASCII.

    It was ADG6 FH11

    Their artist just says "It says Freehand MX...."

    So...I guess FreehandMX for Mac is v11 and my FreehandMX for PC is v10

    Guess I gotta update

    ChrisRucci webforumsuser@macromedia.com Guest

  4. #4

    If the doents contain the new FHMX Raster Effects or Extrude then you
    would want to upgrade. I would never be one to talk you out of spending some
    money ...
    :-)
    .... however, you could ask them to Export the file in FreeHand 10 format.

    File > Export > FreeHand 10 doent

    Judy Arndt

    ChrisRucci wrote:
    > The plot thickens....
    >
    > I opened one of their files in Notepad to examine the ASCII.
    >
    > It was ADG6 FH11
    >
    > Their artist just says "It says Freehand MX...."
    >
    > So...I guess FreehandMX for Mac is v11 and my FreehandMX for PC is v10
    >
    > Guess I gotta update

    Judy Arndt Guest

  5. #5

    > So...I guess FreehandMX for Mac is v11 and my FreehandMX for PC is v10
    Freehand MX is 11 on both platforms. Freehand 10 initially shipped with
    Studio MX, though, hence the confusion. And freehand 10 s, so yea, you
    want to upgrade. ;o)

    -Darrel

    darrel Guest

  6. #6

    There has been a lot of confustion about which apps are "FreeHand MX".

    _ALL_ releases of "FreeHand MX", both Mac and Win, are version 11, either
    11.0 or 11.0.1. _NO_ release of a version 10 FreeHand was ever labeled as
    "FreeHand MX" by Macromedia. Some users incorrectly think that the FH that
    shipped as part of the original release of Studio MX is "FreeHand MX", but
    those that do are wrong. That product was simply "FreeHand 10", version
    10.0.1. The later releases of the Studio, "MX Plus" and "MX 2004", do
    contain FHMX.

    FH10 will not read FH11 files although FH11 will read FH10 files. This could
    easily explain why you can't read the files sent to you by the Mac users
    (who presumably use FHMX) and why they can read your FH10 files.

    David W Gangwisch
    Software Design Engineer - FreeHand
    Macromedia, Inc.

    > The plot thickens....
    >
    > I opened one of their files in Notepad to examine the ASCII.
    >
    > It was ADG6 FH11
    >
    > Their artist just says "It says Freehand MX...."
    >
    > So...I guess FreehandMX for Mac is v11 and my FreehandMX for PC is v10
    >
    > Guess I gotta update

    david gangwisch Guest

  7. #7

    > David W Gangwisch
    > Software Design Engineer - FreeHand
    > Macromedia, Inc.
    I just wanted to say 'thanks' for partaking in these forums. It's always
    nice to see people actually on the FH team in here!

    -Darrel

    darrel Guest

  8. #8

    Yeah, David, thanks for the info. It is nice to get a definitive answer from the source.

    Thanks again to everybody who took the time to help!