Professional Web Applications Themes

Mac Friendly Router (DHCP) & firewall? - Mac Networking

What routers/firewalls support Macintosh? I know that most of them are now web-browser configurable, but I'd also like to know what companies that manufacture these products *officially* support Macs. Also, what's your experience regarding how well you're treated by support departments when you call (regardless if you're using a Mac...) Thanks, -- Dave C com...

  1. #1

    Default Mac Friendly Router (DHCP) & firewall?

    --
    Dave C
    com

    DaveC Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Mac Friendly Router (DHCP) & firewall?

    In article <individual.net>,
    DaveC <com> wrote:

    The Belkin router; it has Mac instructions in the box and is sold at
    the Apple stores.

    I've never had to call them; I've had the router since Jan 2002.

    --
    Never play strip tarot.
    Michelle Guest

  3. #3

    In article <individual.net>, DaveC
    <com> wrote:

    FWIW, I've used:

    Hawking Technologies, worked good for a few years but died, never
    claimed to work with Mac, but I always used a network of Mac OS X,
    Windows, and BSD. Support was very poor, and techs had trouble with
    English language (unfortunately that's the only one I'm fluent in).
    Only problem was firmware update, which support said had to be done via
    Windows; actually I think I could have done it w/TFTP.

    D-Link (DI-604), no problems at all, they specify Mac support. Retired
    in favor of wireless below. Never used support services. Firmware
    update went ok.

    Linksys (WRT54G), no problems at all, no Mac support claimed. Using it
    now and I'm satisfied. Haven't used support services. Firmware update
    went ok.

    --
    Jack
    Jack Guest

  4. #4

    In article <individual.net>,
    DaveC <com> wrote:

    Asante.

    ----
    John S. Heaney
    voice & fax (401) 438-4288
    I don't train in Aikido to protect myself from the world, but to protect the world from me.
    John Guest

  5. #5

    In article <individual.net>,
    DaveC <com> wrote:

    [GR] I've been using a D-Link DI704P and it's jim dandy with Mac OS 9
    and OS X. It's configurable via your browser, but make sure your browser
    will allow pop-up windows. This router has a built-in firewall. very
    nice and inexpensive, but not wireless.

    --
    GR Gaudreau
    <http://grgaud.exchristian.info>

  6. Moderated Post

    Removed by Administrator
    Dan Guest
    Moderated Post

  7. #7

    Dan Cottler wrote:

    Asante's do, for one.

    --
    Roland Hutchinson Will play viola da gamba for food.

    NB mail to my.spamtrap [at] verizon.net is heavily filtered to
    remove spam. If your message looks like spam I may not see it.
    Roland Guest

  8. #8

    Jack B wrote:

    I haven't used it.

    Customer Support didn't seem to even read my email to them.

    However, the interface for configuration -- and especially the log --
    will help diagnose and solve problems if you pay attention to it.

    Highly recommended, especially over LinkSys and NetGear.

    Customer Support is insane. Oh, they try, and they try hard, and
    sometimes they even have suggestions for you. But they don't seem to
    really understand what they're doing.

    NetGear: No Mac support claimed (that I ever saw). Very poor
    performance, with lots of dropped packets. On the plus side, had a RS232
    interface for configuring *in addition to* the web interface. Very handy
    when you configure yourself into a corner. :) Customer support's only
    suggestion was "try a different firmware revision."

    Neither the NetGear nor Linksys ever died, I just got tired of dealing
    with them and their technical support.

    Steven Guest

  9. #9

    In article <west.cox.net>,
    Michelle Steiner <org> wrote:

    >The Belkin router; it has Mac instructions in the box and is sold at
    >the Apple stores.

    >I've never had to call them; I've had the router since Jan 2002.[/ref]

    I'll second the recommendation of the Belkin router.

    Purchased mine from OfficeMax. It has worked perfectly between
    my cable modem and small 2 Mac network (1 Jag and 1 OS9).

    Package indicates it's compatible with Mac.

    NOTE: Safari will not work as the configuring browser, however.
    I use Explorer or Netscape for that job.

    Mel
    Mel Guest

  10. #10

    In article <chartermi.net>,
    Mel Rebillot <net> wrote:

    <snip>

    Actually, Safari will work; you have to explicitly add the port number
    to get it to work. I.e., <http://192.168.2.1:88>

    --Michelle

    --
    Never play strip tarot.
    Michelle Guest

  11. #11

    In article <east.cox.net>, John
    Heaney <com> wrote:

    > Asante.
    >
    > ----
    > John S. Heaney
    > voice & fax (401) 438-4288
    > I don't train in Aikido to protect myself from the world, but to protect the world from me.[/ref]

    ....I'll second the Asante. I've been using one a little over a year
    now, never had a problem with it, so I've never had to call for tech
    support.

    payshunz
    payshunz Guest

  12. Moderated Post

    Removed by Administrator
    Gregory Guest
    Moderated Post

  13. #13

    ["Followup-To:" header set to comp.sys.mac.comm.]
    On 2003-10-23, Steven Fisher <net> wrote:

    Probably true, but then routers should be platform independent
    anyway.

    Which Netgear model are you referring to? The RT314 I've been using
    for quite some time is very robust and easily a good enough performer
    for my 1.7Mbps cable modem. Maybe it wouldn't hold up at faster
    speeds, I don't know. This is an old model, I don't think they sell
    it anymore. It's still running the firmware it shipped with.

    And, yes, the rs232 jack _is_ pretty handy in some cirstances :)
    But I had a to buy a usb->serial converter to access it.

    Hugh Guest

  14. #14

    [Followups set]

    In article <individual.net>,
    DaveC <com> wrote:

    Let me put in a good word for D-Link. I've purchased three of their
    DI-614+ wireless routers (both old and new models; they were
    redesigned earlier this year), and they've all worked flawlessly, both
    wired and wirelessly. I've also purchased a pair of their DWL-800+
    wireless ethernet bridges which have also worked perfectly. They are
    easy to configure, their technical support is first-rate, and they
    have very good Mac support, both from their perspective of installing
    them and updating their firmware.

    - geoff

    --
    Visit http://PostingUp.net
    All college basketball, no Andy Katz

  15. #15

    On Thu, 23 Oct 2003 17:47:04 GMT,
    Steven Fisher (net) wrote:
    Agreed.

    Which particular model? I haven't seen this with the RT314 or the
    MR314.

    Bev
    --
    Bev A. Kupf
    Sus - Division One Champions 2003!

  16. #16

    On Thu, 23 Oct 2003 22:59:09 GMT,
    Hugh Wolf (lieder.de) wrote:

    > Probably true, but then routers should be platform independent
    > anyway.[/ref]

    Mostly, unless you want something like support for AppleTalk.
    NetGear's newer wireless routers (MR814, 814v2 etc.) don't support
    AppleTalk. The older ones do - even though NetGear doesn't explicitly
    mention this.

    Bev

  17. #17

    In article <individual.net>,
    DaveC <com> wrote:

    I use a D-Link DI-624 (802.11g wireless router/firewall). It works great
    and their support is excellent. The previous firmware version caused it
    to occasionally start spontaneously rebooting itself and they were very
    helpful. With the current firmware (1.25) I haven't seen any problems.

    --
    Mike Cohen - mike3k <at> onepost <dot> net
    Personal: http://www.mc-development.com/

  18. #18

    On Thu, 23 Oct 2003 20:31:41 -0400,
    Mike Cohen (com) wrote:

    > I use a D-Link DI-624 (802.11g wireless router/firewall). It works great[/ref]

    Echo the sentiments. This is a well-constructed unit, that is also
    very competitively priced.

    Bev

  19. #19

    On Thu, 23 Oct 2003 16:34:56 -0700, Bev A. Kupf wrote
    (in message <net>):

    This continues to confuse me. I hear (or read) people saying that AppleTalk
    can't be "supported" or "not supported" because, when the cows come home,
    it's all about Ethernet packets. You might as well say that a router (or
    whatever) doesn't support French, or jpeg protocol, or so they say...

    What say y'all?

    Thanks,
    --
    Dave C
    com

    DaveC Guest

  20. #20

    In article <individual.net>,
    DaveC <com> wrote:

    I'm not totally sure what the technical reason is, but many routers seem
    to have lack of AppleTalk support.

    http://www.network-ysis.ltd.uk/wapformac.html

    This site shows whether certain wireless routers support AppleTalk or
    not. As far as I can tell, it seems to be mostly a problem with wireless
    routers, but I'm not sure exactly why.

    Doug

    --
    Doug Brown - La Grande, OR - http://homepage.mac.com/macg3/doug/