Professional Web Applications Themes

Mac G4 FTP Question... - Mac Networking

Sorry for the cross posting but I'm not sure which group this question belongs in! My brother has a Mac G4 (He bought it new about 3 months ago) that he does video editing on and I occasionally assist. He'll make a copy of the file and send it to me via snail mail. I use a Win2K machine and I told him we should setup FTP on his Mac so I can simply grab the files I need whenever I like and that way speed up what has so far been a very slow process! Problem: I don't know ...

  1. #1

    Default Mac G4 FTP Question...

    Sorry for the cross posting but I'm not sure which group this question
    belongs in!

    My brother has a Mac G4 (He bought it new about 3 months ago) that he does
    video editing on and I occasionally assist. He'll make a copy of the file
    and send it to me via snail mail. I use a Win2K machine and I told him we
    should setup FTP on his Mac so I can simply grab the files I need whenever I
    like and that way speed up what has so far been a very slow process!

    Problem: I don't know how one would do this on a Mac, (Sorry!) I have FTP
    setup on my Win2K box but I need to set FTP up on his G4 and I was wondering
    if someone could assist me in this endeavor, or point me in the right
    direction! He doesn't need to send me the files I just need to be able to
    access his G4 and copy them to my machine.

    Thanks in advance!

    Cordially,
    Arous

    Arous Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Mac G4 FTP Question...

    In article <2nzjb.784043$YN5.775456sccrnsc01>, "Arous"
    <com> wrote:

    Before you go any further it sounds like both of you should read
    <http://www.cert.org/homeusers/HomeComputerSecurity> and
    <http://www.cert.org/tech_tips/home_networks.html>.

    FTP sends your password in plain text (so readable by everyone in
    between you and your brother) so is probably the worst way of achieving
    what you want...

    Dave
    Dave Guest

  3. #3

    In comp.sys.mac.system Dave Sankey <ac.uk> wrote:

    > Before you go any further it sounds like both of you should read
    > <http://www.cert.org/homeusers/HomeComputerSecurity> and
    > <http://www.cert.org/tech_tips/home_networks.html>.
    >
    > FTP sends your password in plain text (so readable by everyone in
    > between you and your brother) so is probably the worst way of achieving
    > what you want...
    >
    > Dave[/ref]

    Correct, no FTP. Goto System Prefs/Sharing and enable remote login - that
    starts the sshd daemon on the Mac. use ssh/scp/sftp from then on.
    Steve Guest

  4. #4

    In article <161020031844397352%ac.uk>,
    Dave Sankey <ac.uk> wrote:

    >Before you go any further it sounds like both of you should read
    ><http://www.cert.org/homeusers/HomeComputerSecurity> and
    ><http://www.cert.org/tech_tips/home_networks.html>.
    >
    >FTP sends your password in plain text (so readable by everyone in
    >between you and your brother) so is probably the worst way of achieving
    >what you want...
    >
    > Dave[/ref]

    There is a very nice, free, recent FTP app called Fugu. Do a Google search
    for 'em. Never mind; here's from the "About Fugu..."

    http://rsug.itd.umich.edu/software/fugu/

    Hope this helps.

    David Derbes
    david Guest

  5. #5

    In article <2nzjb.784043$YN5.775456sccrnsc01>,
    "Arous" <com> wrote:

    Open System Preferences, go to Sharing, and click the checkbox for FTP
    access.

    --
    Mike Cohen - mike3k <at> onepost <dot> net
    Personal: http://www.mc-development.com/

  6. #6

    david raoul derbes <uchicago.edu>:

    [...]

    Actually, Fugu doesn't do FTP. It does something better: SFTP, a
    subsystem of the "secure shell". Everything encrypted, way better
    authentication, all in all a much better deal.

    Support for anything secure on windows is a bit flimsy at best, though.
    It will take some toil and trouble to get the Windows counterpart going.
    Jeroen Guest

  7. #7

    Thanks for the education on a Mac!...I'm pretty much looking into all of the
    suggestions give here and I appreciate it! Again Thanks you!

    Cordially,
    Arous

    Arous Guest

  8. #8

    In article <VJTjb.795145$YN5.792117sccrnsc01>, "Arous"
    <com> wrote:

    I'll just reiterate don't use FTP...

    Others have suggested enabling the built in sshd and other secure shell
    derivatives. If you do go down the built in sshd route make sure that
    the Mac has at least Mac OS 10.2.8 as this included fixes for security
    loop holes in the ssh code which would allow a remote exploit of the
    computer. If the fugu thing is based on OpenSSH again make sure that
    it's upto at least OpenSSH 3.7.1.something

    It's probably also worth configuring your brother's firewall so that
    the only inbound connections allowed are ssh connections from you.

    For you on your PC side I've tended to see people using putty
    <http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/>.

    The final gotcha is that your brother will need a static IP address so
    that you know where to find him...

    Good luck!

    Dave
    Dave Guest