Professional Web Applications Themes

.Mac home page problem - Mac Networking

I decided to try using .Mac's tools for publishing a web site, since it makes it easy to publish photos via iPhoto. However, I'm having a problem -- when I go to my .Mac website (<http://homepage.mac.com/thomasareed>), it doesn't show my main page! I've noticed that the main page is called Menu1.html. I tried adding an index.html file containing a refresh META command to redirect the browser to Menu1.html, and that worked, but it's kind of a hack. In Safari, I could briefly see the index.html page displayed before it redirects, even though I set the refresh interval to 0. Any ...

  1. #1

    Default .Mac home page problem

    I decided to try using .Mac's tools for publishing a web site, since it
    makes it easy to publish photos via iPhoto. However, I'm having a
    problem -- when I go to my .Mac website
    (<http://homepage.mac.com/thomasareed>), it doesn't show my main page!

    I've noticed that the main page is called Menu1.html. I tried adding
    an index.html file containing a refresh META command to redirect the
    browser to Menu1.html, and that worked, but it's kind of a hack. In
    Safari, I could briefly see the index.html page displayed before it
    redirects, even though I set the refresh interval to 0.

    Any ideas how I can get .Mac to display Menu1.html as the "home" page?
    The .Mac online help isn't helping.

    Thanks in advance!

    --
    -Thomas

    e-mail me at thomasareed at philadelphia.net minus phil
    Thomas Reed Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: .Mac home page problem

    In article <190720030536161279%thomasareeddont.spam.me>,
    Thomas Reed <thomasareeddont.spam.me> wrote:
    > I decided to try using .Mac's tools for publishing a web site, since it
    > makes it easy to publish photos via iPhoto. However, I'm having a
    > problem -- when I go to my .Mac website
    > (<http://homepage.mac.com/thomasareed>), it doesn't show my main page!
    >
    > I've noticed that the main page is called Menu1.html. I tried adding
    > an index.html file containing a refresh META command to redirect the
    > browser to Menu1.html, and that worked, but it's kind of a hack. In
    > Safari, I could briefly see the index.html page displayed before it
    > redirects, even though I set the refresh interval to 0.
    >
    > Any ideas how I can get .Mac to display Menu1.html as the "home" page?
    > The .Mac online help isn't helping.
    >
    > Thanks in advance!
    You go to the HomePage constrction site where you create the overall
    layout of your own site. On the top of the page It shos your page names
    in a list. And. it has tabs for Photo Album, File Sharing, Site Menu,
    etc along the left side near the middle bottom.

    It is in this area at the top, where your individual pages are
    listed, that you select the Homepage for your site. Which ever page is
    at the top of the list is the homepage for your site and it is listed
    in bold type. Simply drag which ever page you want to the top of the
    list. It will change to bold type and become your homepage.

    Contrary to what anonther replier has said, you do not rename the
    page the index.html. As far as I know your cannot rename any of the
    pages.
    Uwe Denk Guest

  3. #3

    In article <derekd-870061.07314219072003terabinaries.xmission.com>,
    Uwe Denk <derekdxmission.com> wrote:
    > It is in this area at the top, where your individual pages are
    > listed, that you select the Homepage for your site.
    Yeah, I did that, and it didn't work. I finally gave up, destroyed the
    whole site and started from scratch, and now it works.

    However, what I think happened is that I had originally uploaded a
    photo album (via iPhoto) before doing anything else. I think that
    confused the .Mac software, such that it didn't create the index.html
    file for me. (And I notice my "hack" solution is the official one,
    though theirs is done properly so it doesn't show a brief page before
    forwarding.)

    BTW, now I'm a bit annoyed to find that my main page is called
    Menu6.html, and my photo albums are numbered 7 through 13. Is there no
    way to renumber them from 1? Even though I had totally destroyed all
    signs of my site, it seems to remember that I once had a Menu1, Menu2,
    etc and photo albums 1 through 6. Kinda punishes experimentation. I
    just *know* I'm going to get all kinds of questions from my friends and
    family. "Why's the first album number 7? Where are 1 through 6? I
    wanna see them, but I can't find them!"
    > Contrary to what anonther replier has said, you do not rename the
    > page the index.html. As far as I know your cannot rename any of the
    > pages.
    Nope, I tried that -- even updated all links and eliminated all
    references to the old files that I could find -- and it just gets
    clobbered the next time you change anything through the .Mac interface.
    Change Menu6.html to Menu1.html, and the next time you make a change,
    the changes get put into a new Menu6.html.

    Oh, well, I guess such ease of site generation comes with a price.