Professional Web Applications Themes

Mac OS 10.2 and PhotoShop Elements? - Adobe Photoshop Elements

Thank goodness there are other people who are a bit flummoxed about installing PE on Mac OSX 10.2. However you all appear much more clued up than I and ed if I can work out what to do. I got PE one bundled with my Epson Perfecton 1650 scanner and installed it without any trouble on my old Dell. However I changed horses & bought an iMac 10.2 a few weeks ago and now can't get the scanner to work - says it needs drivers downloaded for Photoshop 7 or PE 2. I don't want to spend more loot just ...

  1. #1

    Default Re: Mac OS 10.2 and PhotoShop Elements?

    Thank goodness there are other people who are a bit flummoxed about installing PE on Mac OSX 10.2. However you all appear much more clued up than I and ed if I can work out what to do. I got PE one bundled with my Epson Perfecton 1650 scanner and installed it without any trouble on my old Dell. However I changed horses & bought an iMac 10.2 a few weeks ago and now can't get the scanner to work - says it needs drivers downloaded for Photoshop 7 or PE 2.

    I don't want to spend more loot just yet if I can avoid it so any ideas on how to fix this problem pliz? BTW is PE 2 significantly better than PE1?

    DennyR
    Denny Rosey Guest

  2. #2

    BTW is PE 2 significantly better than PE1?

    Yes. For one thing, it runs natively in X. Check around at places like Amazon.com. If you register your copy of PE 1, you can find PE 2 for $29 or less, usually. Scanning in classic is enough of a pain to make it well worth the investment. Also you get several new or improved features in PE2.

    If you want to use PE 1, you must have classic set up on your machine and you must install PE 1 into classic, not into X.
    Barbara Brundage Guest

  3. #3

    My brother just got an eMac with OS X, and it is really nice! (I am still using OS 9.2.2 on a 3 year old G4)
    I am thinking of getting a new Mac next fall, with the newest versions of X that would be included.
    What I need to know is, if an iMac will be sufficient for work with PSE, or whether I would have to purchase a tower like my present Mac. I couldn't imagine that I would need a G5, as I don't do anything 'high powered' more than PSE. The iMacs with the 17" flat panel monitors are really nice. I am hoping that one of those would be sufficient for most PSE work. I don't do gaming, music, or any movie editing.
    I value your opinions here more than any other forum! Thank you in advance,,,,
    Jane
    Jane Carter Guest

  4. #4

    Well, I have an imac and so does Barb Wayne, and look at what she's doing. What's more we have last year's imacs, and the new ones are much more powerful.

    I would speculate (not allowed to over at apple, but here they don't seem to care) that there will probably be another imac update this fall or possibly at macworld in January, so I would consider that. If you don't feel like you have to be on the cutting edge, right after the release of a new model can be a good time to get a good price on the older one.

    I personally kind of doubt it will be a G5 imac, though. The engineering for that and the powerbooks is probably going to take quite a while. The new G5 tower has 9 fans it--so cooling is going to be quite an issue for getting that chip into space-challenged machines. Even with a G4 chip, the nickname for the 12" powerbooks is "firebook."
    Barbara Brundage Guest

  5. #5

    Elements 1 is not carbonized, but Elements 2 runs fine on 10.2. I'm using 10.2.6 on my Mac with no problems.

    Rich
    Richard Coencas Guest

  6. #6

    Hi Barbara and Rich, Thank you! I was hoping that I wouldn't have to go for the extra $ for the tower and monitor. An iMac it shall be: the flat panel included and the quiet fan is all I need.
    Your work with the iMacs is awesome!
    (I have an old G3 powerbook and it is fine for our travels.) I love the nickname "firebook"! My computer room is by far the coldest room in the house(by choice), and by the evening, it actually warms up from the machines(and the dog).

    I will keep my eye on the new Mac situation, a new Mac store just opened in our town(independent store run by a former Apple employee, now retiree), and he encourages people to come in and play.
    Thanks again, Jane
    Jane Carter Guest

  7. #7

    You're welcome, Jane. (but it's the other Barb who does the awesome work in PE 8^)) The one thing I would plan on if you can afford it is to get the ram in the non-accessible slot maxed out when you get the computer. Either spring for the outrageously overpriced apple ram, or have the local dealer put in what they use.

    Apple can be snarky about warranty issues on computers with third-party ram in that slot, and it's not that much of an ouch to max it out when you're already spending so much money on the computer. (If the local store installs it, they should warrant it, even if it's their house brand and not apple.)

    Just don't let a mail-order house install a third party chip in that slot. Then if you have a problem, you'll have to pay your local tech to take it out when apple is trying to troubleshoot, and problems caused by third-party ram aren't covered under your apple warranty.
    Barbara Brundage Guest

  8. Moderated Post

    Removed by Administrator
    Dick Smith Guest