Professional Web Applications Themes

Mac OS X thinks right arrow key is pressed - Mac Applications & Software

Here's a problem that's really driving me crazy. It started happening about six months ago, strangely enough when the computer was just sitting idle. I've lived with it until now, but I'd like to fix it. Here's what's happening: When I start up in Mac OS X, the computer thinks the right arrow key is depressed. I've verified this by looking at Key Caps. If I log out, and log back in, the problem just disappears. This never happens under OS 9. I've tried replacing the AppleADBkeyboard.kext file in the System Extensions folder, but that didn't do anything. I really ...

  1. #1

    Default Mac OS X thinks right arrow key is pressed

    Here's a problem that's really driving me crazy. It started happening
    about six months ago, strangely enough when the computer was just
    sitting idle. I've lived with it until now, but I'd like to fix it.
    Here's what's happening:

    When I start up in Mac OS X, the computer thinks the right arrow key is
    depressed. I've verified this by looking at Key Caps. If I log out, and
    log back in, the problem just disappears. This never happens under OS
    9.

    I've tried replacing the AppleADBkeyboard.kext file in the System
    Extensions folder, but that didn't do anything.

    I really don't want to do a full reinstall (that's such a Windows
    routine!), but I can't even begin to think what might be causing the
    problem. Anyone out there seen a similar problem?

    TIA,
    Butch
    Butch Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Mac OS X thinks right arrow key is pressed

    In article <la.sbcglobal.net>, matt neuburg
    <com> wrote:

    > Try replacing the keyboard (and/or the cable). m.[/ref]

    Matt,

    Yeah, I guess I'll have to do that. I just haven't seriously considered
    the keyboard to be the problem, because OS 9 never sees the key as
    being constantly depressed.

    Butch
    Butch Guest

  3. #3

    Butch Hauke wrote:

    >>Try replacing the keyboard (and/or the cable). m.[/ref]
    >

    > Matt,
    >
    > Yeah, I guess I'll have to do that. I just haven't seriously considered
    > the keyboard to be the problem, because OS 9 never sees the key as
    > being constantly depressed.
    >
    > Butch[/ref]
    Do you happen to habitually use the right arrow key as your "wake from
    sleep" key? Instead of logging out, try opening TextEdit and typing a
    few letters and then quitting without saving. Does it still happen
    then? Did I miss what version of Mac OS X you're using?

    --
    Papa Koca - SAHD for 6 - Keeper of the Perpetual Kindergarten
    Email me through: http://homepage.mac.com/papakoca/

    Papa Guest

  4. #4

    In article <MKHXa.6388$gnilink.net>, Papa Koca
    <com> wrote:

    > > Matt,
    > >
    > > Yeah, I guess I'll have to do that. I just haven't seriously considered
    > > the keyboard to be the problem, because OS 9 never sees the key as
    > > being constantly depressed.
    > >
    > > Butch[/ref]
    > Do you happen to habitually use the right arrow key as your "wake from
    > sleep" key? Instead of logging out, try opening TextEdit and typing a
    > few letters and then quitting without saving. Does it still happen
    > then? Did I miss what version of Mac OS X you're using?[/ref]

    Papa,

    I'm using 10.2.6, but the problem started before that. The problem
    didn't start after the installation of any updates.

    To answer your main question: no, I never use the right arrow key to
    wake from sleep. I always just hit the space bar. The problem doesn't
    happen when I wake from sleep. It only happens when I restart or start
    up from cold. The only way I've found to correct it is to logout and
    log back in. Then all is fine. But it's still an annoyance I'd like to
    fix.

    Butch
    Butch Guest