Professional Web Applications Themes

Mac OSX 10.3.5 update kills Dingbat fonts in FHMX - Macromedia Freehand

It seems the Mac OSX 10.3.5 update kills dingbat fonts in FHMX. They show up in the font menu but are blank in the text boxes and cannot be converted to outlines. Had this happen on two different machines after updating to 10.3.5. Dingbat fonts work fine in other programs....

  1. #1

    Default Mac OSX 10.3.5 update kills Dingbat fonts in FHMX

    It seems the Mac OSX 10.3.5 update kills dingbat fonts in FHMX. They show up in
    the font menu but are blank in the text boxes and cannot be converted to
    outlines. Had this happen on two different machines after updating to 10.3.5.
    Dingbat fonts work fine in other programs.

    lozza Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Mac OSX 10.3.5 update kills Dingbat fonts in FHMX

    You are right, I have the same problem. Yet another Freehand font problem (not just MX, Dingbats no longer work in version 10 either). I hope that it is only Dingbats that no longer work!

    Murray

    MurrayRL Guest

  3. #3

    MurrayRL wrote:
    > You are right, I have the same problem. Yet another Freehand font
    > problem (not just MX, Dingbats no longer work in version 10 either).
    > I hope that it is only Dingbats that no longer work!
    >
    > Murray

    I had that problem yesterday and figured it was a font problem. Weird.
    Wes Rand Guest

  4. #4

    I haven't updated to 10.3.5 yet. I warily watch MacFixit.com for a week or
    so to see if any fatal flaws are reported.

    Updaters often install required fonts in unexpected (to the user) locations.
    You might have several conflicting copies of the Dingbats font. Search your
    system drive. Use Font Cache Cleaner and see if it helps.
    [url]http://homepage.mac.com/mdouma46/fcache/fcache.html[/url]

    Judy Arndt

    --
    FHMX 11.0.2 (Build 92)
    Mac G4, OS 10.3.4

    lozza wrote:
    > It seems the Mac OSX 10.3.5 update kills dingbat fonts in FHMX. They show up
    > in the font menu but are blank in the text boxes and cannot be converted to
    > outlines. Had this happen on two different machines after updating to 10.3.5.
    > Dingbat fonts work fine in other programs.

    Judy Arndt Guest

  5. #5

    lozza,

    Do you mean the ZapfDingbat font when you say Dingbat? ZapfDingbat was not
    working so I removed it and installed a copy that I got with CorelDraw and it
    works now. If you would like, I can e-mail it to you.

    David

    davecc Guest

  6. #6

    Default Re: Mac OSX 10.3.5 update kills Dingbat fonts in

    Hi,

    I've recently upgraded to 10.3.5.

    I've had no problems with the Zapf Dingbat font in MX. It shows up in the text
    boxes and converts to outlines just fine.

    Maybe check Font Book and make sure font is where it's supposed to be and
    enabled as well. Hope this helps.

    Ginni

    Trollmama Guest

  7. #7

    No, the font is installed correctly and works in all programs except Freehand MX.

    I'm sure there will be away around the problem. I'll investigate over the weekend and report back.

    MurrayRL Guest

  8. #8

    I have just noticed a font called Monotype Sorts in my font list. I don't recall seeing it before - possibly it was part of the OSX update. It appears to be the same as Dingbats and is working fine.
    MurrayRL Guest

  9. #9

    David,

    Yes, ZapfDingbats. But the problem on our systems is not limited to just that
    font - it's every dingbat-type font. Even one of our dingbat fonts from House
    Industries is not working any more (it actually shows up, but displays as
    running out of the text boxes on the side(s).

    I've tried replacing ZapfDingbats with with a fresh copy (PS) from the Adobe
    Font Folio with no luck. I also tried the ITC (TT) version with the same
    results.

    For whatever reason FHMX seems to think the font contains no outline file (try
    typing in ZapfDingbats and converting the blank text to outlines and read the
    FHMX alert message). Someone at Macromedia should know what (on a coding level)
    differentiates a Dingbat font from a traditional font (is there a difference?).
    Perhaps that difference could help them track down any offending FHMX code.

    Judy, I'll try your suggestion and report back any findings.

    lozza Guest

  10. #10

    Jimmy,

    On my home machine (G4 1.25 Dual) with 10.3.5, ZadfDingbat and Webdings fonts
    work great. I am really confused as to why it gave me an issue with my G5 2.0
    at the office running 10.3.5

    David

    davecc Guest

  11. #11

    I have tried troubleshooting all fonts. Reinstalling various foundries versions
    of Dingbats but none of them now work in MX on my G5 (strangely enough they
    work fine on my G4 which has a clone of the font setup on my G5).

    Using Dingbats you get no wording appearing on screen and can't be converted
    to paths, but if you type some words using dingbats in MX then export as an
    Illustrator file, the words appear fine if you open the file up in Illustrator.

    I think this has to be a random MX problem. I have deleted Dingbats so at
    least MX should warn me when I open a file that uses Dingbats and I can
    substitute another font.

    This MX problem may be linked to the other problem I have with MX dropping out
    bullet points and apostrophes at odd times.

    MurrayRL Guest

  12. #12

    I'm still on Mac OS 10.3.4, using FontAgent Pro to manage fonts. I had my
    Postscript ITC Zapf Dingbats disabled. However, I always had ZapfDingbats in
    my FHMX font list.

    I found a ZapfDingbats.dfont in [User]/Library/Fonts. Trashed that and
    restarted the computer. Zapf Dingbats is still there. FHMX Doent Report
    says:
    -----
    Zapf Dingbats
    Postscript name: ZapfDingbatsITC
    The font appears to be a TrueType font
    -----

    I searched my system drive but cannot find the Zapf Dingbat font file that
    the Mac OS has been using. I opened Font Book. Under the PDF Set it shows
    Zapf Dingbats. I disabled it via Font Book. No more Zapf Dingbats in FHMX
    font list.

    Then I went to FontAgent Pro and enabled my ITC Zapf Dingbats (Postscript).
    FHMX font list now shows the font. Report shows it as:
    -----
    Zapf Dingbats
    Postscript name: ZapfDingbats
    The font appears to be a Postscript font
    -----

    I believe there must be hidden font files installed by OS X to be used by
    Preview to display PDF files. It appears that you must use Font Book to
    disable them, as it's impossible to delete them. I also noticed that some of
    the other fonts in the Font Book PDF Set, such as Arial, Helvetica and
    Times, are fonts that have been giving me substitution problems on my
    Postscript printer.

    Perhaps those of you who have updated to OS 10.3.5 could check Font Book to
    see if it has surreptitiously enabled system versions of the Postscript
    fonts you normally use.

    Judy Arndt
    --
    FHMX 11.0.2 (Build 92)
    Mac G4, OS 10.3.4

  13. #13

    Judy,

    You are right. Removing my ZapfDingbats (the PostScript version I installed)
    from my user/library/fonts folder allowed the default OSX version in the
    system/library/fonts to work in FHMX. I also went through Font Book and removed
    any duplicates from user/library/fonts that also appear in any of the main
    system or library folders (such as Comic Sans MS, Arial, etc.). Font Book gives
    you a handy bullet next to any duplicate font(s). It caught some that Font
    Doctor missed. The only modification I made to the default OSX fonts was to
    remove the HelveticaNeue.dfont. We have the full compliment of the Helvetica
    Neue fonts from Adobe, so I couldn't rely on the limited version used by OSX.

    Our standard font set (after removing system duplicates) now works - we just
    have to remember to remove the system's HelveticaNeue.dfont.

    Thanks!

    lozza Guest

  14. #14

    I'm glad some people have managed to fix this problem. I had no duplicates of Dingbats anywhere in my system (I checked with Font Book as well) so haven't found a solution to this problem yet.

    MurrayRL Guest