Professional Web Applications Themes

Mac Panther newbie--how can I tell what my dialup speed is? - Mac Networking

I'm a relatively new Mac Panther user and am trying to figure out how to tell what speed I'm achieving when I connect to the internet via dialup? I don't see where these settings are located. Many thanks!...

  1. #1

    Default Mac Panther newbie--how can I tell what my dialup speed is?

    I'm a relatively new Mac Panther user and am trying to figure out how to
    tell what speed I'm achieving when I connect to the internet via dialup? I
    don't see where these settings are located.

    Many thanks!

    Sarah Guest

  2. #2

    In article <BBFBD2EE.1811%com>,
    Sarah Feliz <com> wrote:

    Launch "Activity Monitor" (in /Applications/Utilities/) and click the
    Network tab at the bottom to see current network throughput.

    --
    Sander Tekelenburg, <http://www.euronet.nl/~tekelenb/>
    Sander Guest

  3. #3

    In article <BBFBD2EE.1811%com>,
    Sarah Feliz <com> wrote:

    Open Internet Connect (on the Dock or in the menu bar on the right with
    the little phone receiver). Your speed will show there. It will say
    "connected at 50,667 bps" or whatever is your speed.
    Madwen Guest

  4. #4

    Thanks. I didn't know to look there. But it doesn't tell me what my dialup
    speed is... At least not in a way I can understand.

    It says the following:

    Packets in: 10301
    Packets out: 10797
    Data in: 8.45 MB
    Data out: 1.18 MB

    I don't know what these numbers mean. And what I really want to know is: am
    I connecting at 49K, 50K, 52K? These are the speeds at which I'm able to
    connect with my Windows laptop. On the Mac I can't tell.

    Thanks!

    On 12/9/03 8:04 PM, in article euro.net,
    "Sander Tekelenburg" <invalid> wrote:

    > Launch "Activity Monitor" (in /Applications/Utilities/) and click the
    > Network tab at the bottom to see current network throughput.[/ref]

    Sarah Guest

  5. #5

    No it doesn't. When I open Internet Connect it does not show the speed at
    all. It shows nothing except the fields that indicate my ISP etc. Perhaps it
    *used* to do this in Jaguar? I'm running Panther now, and in Panther--at
    least in my version--it does not appear.

    If the dialup speed *is* supposed to show there, even in Panther, please let
    me know how to make it appear there for me too.

    Thanks!

    On 12/9/03 8:08 PM, in article
    ash.giganews.com, "Madwen"
    <com> wrote:

    > Open Internet Connect (on the Dock or in the menu bar on the right with
    > the little phone receiver). Your speed will show there. It will say
    > "connected at 50,667 bps" or whatever is your speed.[/ref]

    Sarah Guest

  6. #6

    In article <BBFC3D85.1833%com>,
    Sarah Feliz <com> wrote:

    Even under the "summary" setting, it should tell you--- if indeed you
    are connected. Perhaps your Panther install got florfed if you did not
    use the archive and install option. Are you using some other kind of
    connection software furnished by Earthlink perchance?
    Madwen Guest

  7. #7

    In article <BBFBD2EE.1811%com>,
    Sarah Feliz <com> wrote:

    I use PPP Monitor to log on to the net and check connection speed. I
    just moted that it is not available anymore, but have been replaced by
    Net Monitor.

    It is available from http://homepage.mac.com/rominar/net.html

    It will tell you your connection speed among many other things.

    --
    Pete Ware
    Thomasburg ON

  8. #8

    [Please only quote what you respond to and place your response directly
    below that. Anything else just is too hard to read and you may end up
    getting ignored. (Which is perfectly fine of course if that is what
    you're after ;))]

    In article <BBFC3C30.1831%com>,
    Sarah Feliz <com> wrote:

    [/Applications/Utilities/Activity Monitor]

    This tells you how much data (both measured in packets and in MB) has
    gone through your connection since the last time you booted the machine.

    But there should be more there (possibly some fields are hidden when
    there is no network connection?). What you're interested in is "Data
    in/sec:" and "Data out/sec:", plus the graph in the bottom-right corner.

    It does not report the result of your modem's negotiation with the
    remote modem (which wouldn't tell you that much anyway, because during
    the connection both modems will continue to negotiate speed). Expect it
    to tell you at what speed data is coming in/going out at the current
    moment. In other words: send data through your connection to see what
    speed you get. Most reliable indicator would probably to up-/download a
    largish file through ftp or http.

    HTH

  9. #9

    In article <BBFBD2EE.1811%com>,
    Sarah Feliz <com> wrote:

    Try MenuMeters (freeware). It will show you some useful networking
    stuff in your menu bar. Click on the Menu bar item and get lots of
    additional stats. good stuff.

    Bob Harris
    Bob Guest

  10. #10

    There is no "summary" setting (at least I can't find it). And I'm definitely
    connected. I can send & receive email, access newsgroups (like this one),
    roam the web. I just can't find out what my dialup speed is. My Panther
    install was done by the tech people on campus--but I was the one who entered
    the ISP info in Internet Connect. I have no additional ISP software
    installed.

    Looks to me that Internet Connect in Panther is a very stripped down
    utility. Maybe that's the problem...

    Someone else mentioned something called Net Monitor. Think I'm going to try
    that. But I can't believe that something as basic as this was not provided
    by the OS.

    Thanks.

    On 12/10/03 8:07 AM, in article
    ash.giganews.com, "Madwen"
    <com> wrote:

    > Even under the "summary" setting, it should tell you--- if indeed you
    > are connected. Perhaps your Panther install got florfed if you did not
    > use the archive and install option. Are you using some other kind of
    > connection software furnished by Earthlink perchance?[/ref]

    Sarah Guest

  11. #11

    Sarah Feliz <com> wrote:

    Click on that white "lozenge" in the upper right corner of Internet
    Connect.

    --
    Mike Rosenberg

    Mike Guest

  12. #12

    In article <BBFD643C.1858%com>,
    Sarah Feliz <com> wrote:

    It's not a stripped down utility. What version is yours? While it is
    open, select About Internet Connect from the Internet Connect menu.

    Now go to the Internet Connect window. Across the top should be 3
    pictures: A Globe with "Summary" written underneath, a phone with
    "Internal Modem" written underneath and a lock with "VPN" written
    underneath. Do you see that in your Internet Connect window? If not, I
    have no idea what you are looking at.

    It IS provided by the OS. As I already said, perhaps your installation
    was flawed.
    Madwen Guest

  13. #13

    In article <BBFC3D85.1833%com>,
    Sarah Feliz <com> wrote:

    Interconnect does indeed show the connection speed by default. Take a
    look at a screenshot
    <http://my.vbe.com/~mbrought/screenshots/PPPConnection.jpg>

    If your window doesn't look like this, someone has customized your
    installation or it is faulty.

    You could also try looking at your connection log. In Internet Connect
    there should be a menu items such as "Show Connection Log" or some such
    under the Window menu. Your connection speed should also be reported in
    the log.

    --
    Matt Broughton
    Only relatives are absolute.

  14. #14

    Thanks to everyone for "educating" me in reading Internet Connect. The
    dialup speed is visible in the Status line in Summary and in Intenal Modem.
    I just couldn't see it before. Don't know why. Must be part of the learning
    curve of switching from a PC. I feel a bit silly now but grateful
    nonetheless. I'm connecting at 50k, by the way, which is similar to the
    speed I achieve with the PC.

    Thanks again to all.

    On 12/11/03 9:27 AM, in article
    supernews.com, "Matt Broughton"
    <com> wrote:

    > Interconnect does indeed show the connection speed by default. Take a
    > look at a screenshot
    > <http://my.vbe.com/~mbrought/screenshots/PPPConnection.jpg>
    >
    > If your window doesn't look like this, someone has customized your
    > installation or it is faulty.
    >
    > You could also try looking at your connection log. In Internet Connect
    > there should be a menu items such as "Show Connection Log" or some such
    > under the Window menu. Your connection speed should also be reported in
    > the log.[/ref]

    Sarah Guest