Professional Web Applications Themes

Mac PDF's versus other platforms - Mac Applications & Software

I have a Mac G-3 Wall Street notebook, system 8.6. I have a subscription to a site that issues PDF files. But they won't open. Instead, I get a box saying the file has an error. My brother has the same subscription, but he uses Windowz. Right now he's downloading the files I want and attaching them to email messages. They open just fine for me when we do that. Can anyone tell me what's going on and how to fix it?...

  1. #1

    Default Mac PDF's versus other platforms

    I have a Mac G-3 Wall Street notebook, system 8.6. I have a
    subscription to a site that issues PDF files. But they won't open.
    Instead, I get a box saying the file has an error.

    My brother has the same subscription, but he uses Windowz. Right now
    he's downloading the files I want and attaching them to email messages.
    They open just fine for me when we do that.

    Can anyone tell me what's going on and how to fix it?
    pdf_challenged Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Mac PDF's versus other platforms

    In article <270920031242332023%com>, pdf_challenged
    <com> wrote:

    Precisely what you have configured incorrectly in your Web browser is
    uncertain. I do recall briefly encountering a similar phenomenon about
    five or six years ago when I was still running some version os OS 8 and
    it revolved around the browser "thinking" that the file was text and
    stripping out various bits, corrupting the whole process. Check to make
    sure that you're doing a binary download of the PDF.

    --
    Spenser
    sbt Guest

  3. #3

    In article <270920031242332023%com>,
    pdf_challenged <com> wrote:

    what version of acrobat? how are you downloading them?

    --
    James Meiss
    <http://amath.colorado.edu/faculty/jdm>

  4. #4

    Take a look at http://www.adobe.com:80/support/techdocs/93f2.htm

    Tim Guest

  5. #5

    In article <270920031244335728%com.invalid>, sbt
    <com.invalid> wrote:

    > Precisely what you have configured incorrectly in your Web browser is
    > uncertain. I do recall briefly encountering a similar phenomenon about
    > five or six years ago when I was still running some version os OS 8 and
    > it revolved around the browser "thinking" that the file was text and
    > stripping out various bits, corrupting the whole process. Check to make
    > sure that you're doing a binary download of the PDF.[/ref]

    Sorry, I should have added that I have downloaded plenty of PDF files
    with the very same browser and OS (which I have been using for years
    now) just fine and they opened. I don't think there's any choice of
    downloading text "save file." When I click on "download PDF" on the
    web page it's all taken care of automatically, including initializing
    the app and opening the file. It's at the end of this process that I
    get the error box.
    pdf_challenged Guest

  6. #6

    In article <colorado.edu>, James
    Meiss <invalid> wrote:

    > what version of acrobat? how are you downloading them?[/ref]

    PDF5

    I just click on the option to download the PDF file and the process
    begins automatically. The file downloads to my desktop saying:

    Will open with acrobat reader 5.0

    and then the PDF app initializes automatically. As it begins to decode
    the file for display, the dialog bov pops up.

    There was an error opening this doent.
    The file was damaged and could not be repaired.

    However, when my brother downloads the very same file, he forwards it
    on to me as an attachment and it opens fine with a double click.

    I see I have the following files in my Netscape helper apps:
    Acrobat forms data format in xml - Acrobat reader 5.0
    Acrobat forms data format - Acrobat 5.0
    Acrobat rights management file - Acrobat 5.0
    Portable doent format - Acrobat 5.0

    Should I delete these files and then work things manually? IOW, the
    browser will ask me to choose an app or download file, which will skip
    the auto initialization.
    pdf_challenged Guest

  7. #7

    In article <bellsouth.net>,
    Tim Murray <com> wrote:

    This just displays a blank screen. Perhaps Adobe doesn't like me
    trying to connect thru a proxy. If I do:

    http://www.adobe.com:80/support/techdocs/

    ....then I get the long list of docs. If I then click on the file
    "93f2.htm" I get... oops, same thing - blank screen.

    Perhaps they heard I was coming...

    Thanks, tho. 'Preciate it.
    pdf_challenged Guest

  8. #8

    In article <270920031242332023%com>, pdf_challenged
    <com> wrote:

    Maybe your directory is messed up and the systm can't find Acrobat
    Reader? Did you try dragging the file to Acrobat? Maybe the reader is
    corrupt?

    You might run DiskFirstAid if you don't have Disk Warrior. It can
    usually diagnose directory corruption, but it can rarely fix it.

    Cathy

    --
    "there's a dance or two in the old dame yet." - mehitabel

    C.Stevenson, M.D.
    net
    Cathy Guest

  9. #9

    On Sat, 27 Sep 2003 19:38:29 GMT, pdf_challenged <com> wrote:

    If the version of acroread on your Mac is too old, the file from a
    newer version of acrobat will be unreadable. Works fine the other
    way around of course, but if your reader is too old for the file, it's
    time to upgrade it. It's up to version 6 - what version of acroread
    are you on now?

    If that doesn't do it, give us more details please.

    Dave Hinz

    Dave Guest

  10. #10

    In article <270920031708541625%net>, Cathy Stevenson
    <net> wrote:

    > Maybe your directory is messed up and the systm can't find Acrobat
    > Reader? Did you try dragging the file to Acrobat? Maybe the reader is
    > corrupt?
    >
    > You might run DiskFirstAid if you don't have Disk Warrior. It can
    > usually diagnose directory corruption, but it can rarely fix it.
    >
    > Cathy[/ref]

    After the download and the auto initialization of the program, I get
    the error box. My first inclination was to do exactly as you suggest -
    that is, to double click the file itself and let it initialize the
    application. But, alas, I still get the same error.

    When my brother downloads the file, he simply opens a new email message
    to me and attaches the exact same PDF file downloaded the same way from
    the same page. When I get it, I drag it out of my attachments file and
    double-click it. It opens neat as can be.

    This has been going on for weeks, so it's not some isolated incident
    that may be the fault of the webmaster of the page in question.

    Hmmm.
    pdf_challenged Guest

  11. #11

    In article <bl5912$8a7qm$news.uni-berlin.de>, Dave Hinz
    <net> wrote:

    > If the version of acroread on your Mac is too old, the file from a
    > newer version of acrobat will be unreadable. Works fine the other
    > way around of course, but if your reader is too old for the file, it's
    > time to upgrade it. It's up to version 6 - what version of acroread
    > are you on now?
    >
    > If that doesn't do it, give us more details please.
    >
    > Dave Hinz[/ref]

    I use PDF 5.0. The files in question are formatted 5.0.
    pdf_challenged Guest

  12. #12

    What MIME type does the web site give for the file?
    Philo Guest

  13. #13

    In article <270920032054220364%com>, Philo D
    <com> wrote:

    Is there a way to find that out?
    pdf_challenged Guest

  14. #14

    On Sun, 28 Sep 2003 00:37:25 GMT, pdf_challenged <com> wrote:

    > I use PDF 5.0. The files in question are formatted 5.0.[/ref]

    Hm. If you want to send me a link to the PDF in question, or the
    PDF itself if its not too huge, I'd be interested to look at it.
    Wouldn't hurt to update acroread to 6, just for giggles.

    Dave Hinz

    Dave Guest

  15. #15

    In article <bl5ds2$87f87$news.uni-berlin.de>,
    Dave Hinz <net> wrote:

    It wouldn't be all that funny. Reader 6 requires OS X v.10.2.2 or
    higher, and the OP is running OS 8.6.
    --
    D.F. Manno
    net

    Nobody Died When Clinton Lied
    D.F. Guest

  16. #16

    <net> wrote:

    > > I use PDF 5.0. The files in question are formatted 5.0.[/ref]
    >
    > Hm. If you want to send me a link to the PDF in question, or the
    > PDF itself if its not too huge, I'd be interested to look at it.
    > Wouldn't hurt to update acroread to 6, just for giggles.
    >
    > Dave Hinz[/ref]

    I'd have to give you a password to a site that charges hundreds of
    dollars a year to use. I know better than to ask my 2 brothers with
    whom I shre the payment if I can give you the password. We have a
    split-second timing system in order to prevent simultaneous log-on.
    I'm sure you understand.

    The files are labeled PDF 5 and I have it, so the problem has to be
    platform related. What is it about downloading on a windoze machine
    that's different than downloading on the Mac?

    What if I strip the PDF files out of the browser so it goes to a
    "choose app" box that allowes me to download the PDF file to the
    desktop? What folder holds Netscape 4's help files? Or are these
    things hard coded into the app?
    pdf_challenged Guest

  17. #17

    In article <270920031818267226%com>,
    pdf_challenged <com> wrote:

    > Is there a way to find that out?[/ref]

    On an OS X system, type
    curl -I http://whatever...
    to the Terminal and look at its output.

    But I don't know how to do this on older MacOS's.

    David Guest

  18. #18

    pdf_challenged <com> writes:

    Yes, but....

    Some web servers don't send PDF files with the correct MIME type.
    (It should be application/pdf). If the web server doesn't have a
    configuration for PDF, it will fall back to a default. Typical
    defaults are application/octet-stream, text/html and text/plain.

    application/octet-stream is a generic binary format, so these should
    work fine (although you'll probably be unable to open it in your
    browser.)

    text/html and text/plain are (as the name implies) text formats. Web
    browsers often covert line-ending characters of text files. Which
    will corrupt the file if it's really a binary file.

    Also, your web browser may try to display the binary file contents as
    text in a browser window if the type is text/plain or text/html. If
    you see this, saving the link target to disk (instead of opening it)
    may work.

    Good luck.

    -- David
    David Guest

  19. #19

    pdf_challenged <com> writes:

    OK. This is starting to sound more and more like a broken MIME type
    on the web server. If it was your Acrobat Reader configuration, then
    there would be no difference between a file received from the web and
    a file received in e-mail.

    Internet Explorer ignores MIME types (in violation of the HTTP
    protocol), which is why it's not breaking him.

    If it was my system, I'd start playing around with some diagnostic
    programs to conclusively determine that the server is generating the
    wrong MIME type, then I'd complain to the webmaster. But I don't
    think I can describe the process in a news posting. Sorry about
    that.

    -- David

    David Guest

  20. #20

    David:

    When you start talking application/octet-stream and MIME type, you
    have reached my level of incompetence. I can add further that I have
    no problems with other PDF files on Netscape 4.05, nor with binaries
    like jpegs.

    What about this idea of deleting the adobe files from my browser helper
    files so the file will download without opening the application.
    Wouldn't I then get a file on my desktop just like the one my brother
    has on his pee cee? I don't mind opening the doent myself instead
    of the browser doing it automatically. Matter of fact, I'd prefer it.

    =-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

    pdf_challenged <com> writes:

    OK. This is starting to sound more and more like a broken MIME type
    on the web server. If it was your Acrobat Reader configuration, then
    there would be no difference between a file received from the web and
    a file received in e-mail.

    Internet Explorer ignores MIME types (in violation of the HTTP
    protocol), which is why it's not breaking him.

    If it was my system, I'd start playing around with some diagnostic
    programs to conclusively determine that the server is generating the
    wrong MIME type, then I'd complain to the webmaster. But I don't
    think I can describe the process in a news posting. Sorry about
    that.

    -- David
    pdf_challenged Guest

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast