Professional Web Applications Themes

Mac programming in Java? - Mac Programming

I am very new to programming in general, and am trying to learn. I started with a book on C, but that is proving a hard task. Someone suggested that I start with Python because it is an easier language to understand. (so far, it seems to be.) I guess I have two questions that I would like to ask really. First, does anyone here have any experience programming for Mac OSX in Python, and would you reccomend it? Second, If you create a Java program in Xcode, is it automatically cross platform, or will it need to be altered ...

  1. #1

    Default Mac programming in Java?

    I am very new to programming in general, and am trying to learn. I
    started with a book on C, but that is proving a hard task. Someone
    suggested that I start with Python because it is an easier language to
    understand. (so far, it seems to be.)

    I guess I have two questions that I would like to ask really.

    First, does anyone here have any experience programming for Mac OSX in
    Python, and would you reccomend it?

    Second, If you create a Java program in Xcode, is it automatically
    cross platform, or will it need to be altered before it can run on
    other platforms?

    Thanks for helping out a noobie.

    darron
    Darron Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Mac programming in Java?

    On Sun, 08 Feb 2004 05:03:15 GMT, Darron Jeans
    <com> wrote: 

    I program with Python on MacOS X but not, so far, *for MacOSX*.
    (ie No GUI work, nor any of the MacOS specific services,
    only general purpose Unix style scripting)

    However there is a MacPython mailing list and you should
    get some real experience there. Also learning Python is a
    useful skill and will get you started in Programming
    pretty quickly. Almost everything you learn will translate
    to other languages, just the syntax will be diffeent.

    HTH,

    Alan G.
    Author of the Learn to Program website
    http://www.freenetpages.co.uk/hp/alan.gauld
    Alan Guest

  3. #3

    Default Re: Mac programming in Java?

    On 2004-02-08 16:54:00 -0600, com (Alan Gauld)
    said:
     
    >
    > I program with Python on MacOS X but not, so far, *for MacOSX*.
    > (ie No GUI work, nor any of the MacOS specific services,
    > only general purpose Unix style scripting)
    >
    > However there is a MacPython mailing list and you should
    > get some real experience there. Also learning Python is a
    > useful skill and will get you started in Programming
    > pretty quickly. Almost everything you learn will translate
    > to other languages, just the syntax will be diffeent.
    >
    > HTH,
    >
    > Alan G.
    > Author of the Learn to Program website
    > http://www.freenetpages.co.uk/hp/alan.gauld[/ref]

    Alan,

    Thanks for your reply. It is a weird coincidence, but I have been going
    through your tutorial the last couple of days in my quest to learn
    programming. Thanks for putting up the learn to program website. It is
    a great resource for the community, especially people who have no clue
    how to program, like me.

    Darron
    Darron Guest

  4. #4

    Default Re: Mac programming in Java?

    On Mon, 09 Feb 2004 01:14:32 GMT, Darron Jeans
    <com> wrote:
     
    > Alan,
    >
    > Thanks for your reply. It is a weird coincidence, but I have been going
    > through your tutorial the last couple of days in my quest to learn
    > programming. Thanks for putting up the learn to program website. It is
    > a great resource for the community, especially people who have no clue
    > how to program, like me.[/ref]

    You're welcome, and as an aside, if you are learning Python its
    well worth joining the python-tutor mailing list. An extremely
    friendly resource dedicated to helping newbie Pythonistas.

    Alan G
    Author of the Learn to Program website
    http://www.freenetpages.co.uk/hp/alan.gauld
    Alan Guest

  5. #5

    Default Re: Mac programming in Java?

    Darron Jeans <com> wrote in message news:<2004020723031375249%djeanshotmailcom>...
     

    You shouldn't have to change anything. Although I wouldn't use XCode
    to code java (except if I was doing Cocoa-Java but that isn't
    crossplatform). I would recomend a real java IDE with real auto
    complete and doentation. Java is such a large language that you
    really do need those features. I would recomend Netbeans,
    www.netbeans.org, it is what I use. But there are many others that are
    freely avaliable.

    Michael
    Michael Guest

  6. #6

    Default Re: Mac programming in Java?

    On 2004-02-09 10:24:55 -0600, com (Michael Milvich)
    said:
     
    >
    > You shouldn't have to change anything. Although I wouldn't use XCode
    > to code java (except if I was doing Cocoa-Java but that isn't
    > crossplatform). I would recomend a real java IDE with real auto
    > complete and doentation. Java is such a large language that you
    > really do need those features. I would recomend Netbeans,
    > www.netbeans.org, it is what I use. But there are many others that
    > are
    > freely avaliable.
    >
    > Michael[/ref]

    Thanks for the reply,

    I guess that was part of my question. So if you create a Java app using
    xcode and the interface builder, it will not be cross platform, right?

    Bummer.

    Darron
    Darron Guest

  7. #7

    Default Re: Mac programming in Java?

    In article <2004020922504175249%djeanshotmailcom>,
    Darron Jeans <com> wrote:
     

    Xcode is basically just an editor and a frond-end to compilers. There is
    nothing that prevents you from making a cross-platform Java app with it.

    Interface Builder creates .nib files which are specific to Cocoa.
    Naturally, if your Java app depends on Cocoa, it will not run on other
    platforms that don't have Cocoa (i.e. all of them).
    Michael Guest

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 0
    Last Post: May 5th, 06:41 PM
  2. Replies: 7
    Last Post: October 21st, 12:44 PM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last Post: August 2nd, 08:07 PM
  4. Perl keeps me from throwing up while programming java
    By Bryan Castillo in forum PERL Miscellaneous
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: June 29th, 03:52 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 111 112 113 114 115 116 117 118 119 120 121 122 123 124 125 126 127 128 129 130 131 132 133 134 135 136 137 138 139