Professional Web Applications Themes

Mac w Windows? - Mac Applications & Software

Sara wrote: > I'm sure that you all have answered this many, many times before, but I have > just started looking at this newsgroup. I have a windows sytem (3 machines) > networked together, and I my husband has been hounding me for an iMac. How > easy, how expensive, and what are the drawbacks to networking a mac to a > windows system? Finally, can I use an Airport card to connect to a windows > network? > > Thanks, > Sara > > We have 2 Windows computers (Win XP) and an iMac (Jaguar) all happy together ...

  1. #1

    Default Re: Mac w Windows?

    Sara wrote:
    > I'm sure that you all have answered this many, many times before, but I have
    > just started looking at this newsgroup. I have a windows sytem (3 machines)
    > networked together, and I my husband has been hounding me for an iMac. How
    > easy, how expensive, and what are the drawbacks to networking a mac to a
    > windows system? Finally, can I use an Airport card to connect to a windows
    > network?
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Sara

    We have 2 Windows computers (Win XP) and an iMac (Jaguar) all happy
    together on a hub with the iMac on the LAN with a Airport card. We use
    DCHP (I think that's right, the dynamic ip addressing anyway.) The
    machines all can see each other. Drawbacks are the iMac leaves
    "breadcrumbs" on the shared directories it accesses on the PCs and the
    iMac freaks when one of the shared directories isn't ejected before the
    PC is shut down or rebooted. Spinning beachball of death type freaking.
    It may resolve itself if given enough time but,I haven't the patience
    to wait and usually hit the power button when this happens.
    These drawbacks haven't been enough to discourage me, I switched to Mac
    a year ago and am not looking back.
    -Carrie

    Carrie Guest

  2. #2

    Sara wrote:
    > How easy, how expensive, and what are the drawbacks to networking a mac to a
    > windows system?

    any mac that has OS X.2 (10.2) - it's a piece of cake to network to a
    windows system.
    no additional software needed.
    i've tried win98/Me/2000/XP - they all work.
    any new mac will have OS X.2.

    not expensive at all - the price of any new Mac - that's it. (and an
    ethernet cable)

    johnny bobby bee Guest

  3. #3

    Wesley Groleau wrote:

    > I'm still trying to get OS 10.1.5 to mount
    > a Win98 disk. Been trying for over two weeks.

    I had a lot of trouble getting OS 10.1.x to mount shared drives from
    Win98. On rare occasions it worked, but the vast majority of the time
    it didn't.

    Since I upgraded to Jaguar, I've been able to mount Win98 & WinXP shared
    drives nearly flawlessly. Now, the only time I can't mount a Win98
    drive is when my wife has her VPN connection to her office running on
    the Win98 PC.

    Kurt

    Kurt Cypher Guest

  4. #4

    > I had a lot of trouble getting OS 10.1.x to mount shared drives from
    > Win98. On rare occasions it worked, but the vast majority of the time
    > it didn't.
    Well, it's NEVER worked yet for me, and ...
    > Since I upgraded to Jaguar, I've been able to mount Win98 & WinXP shared
    > drives nearly flawlessly. Now, the only time I can't mount a Win98
    Yeah, I want Jaguar, but there are a lot of more
    important things and very little money. Ironically,
    one of those things is a (possibly) money making
    tool that will only run on Windoze. But Win98
    being what it is and kids being what they are,
    I'm not quite brave enough yet to let Windoze be
    the internet machine.

    Wesley Groleau Guest

  5. #5

    Sara <sarabillnospam.hotmail.com> wrote:
    > I'm sure that you all have answered this many, many times before, but I have
    > just started looking at this newsgroup. I have a windows sytem (3 machines)
    > networked together, and I my husband has been hounding me for an iMac. How
    > easy, how expensive, and what are the drawbacks to networking a mac to a
    > windows system? Finally, can I use an Airport card to connect to a windows
    > network?
    Sara - adding a Mac to your Windows network will be trivial as long as
    they are using Win98SE or higher. I'm assuming that you'll be using
    built in peer to peer networking. You'll find that it is actually easier
    and faster to get the Mac connecting to the PC than vice versa. (God but
    I have Microsoft's Network Wizard.) There will be no expense at all
    beyond the cost of the computer and cable. Assuming that you are using
    WiFi networking (802.11b or g) using an AirPort card will be fine.
    Strider Guest

  6. #6

    Wesley Groleau <wesgroleaudespammed.com> wrote in message news:<lb2cndwii_OGRGWjXTWJjQgbronline.com>...
    > > I had a lot of trouble getting OS 10.1.x to mount shared drives from
    > > Win98. On rare occasions it worked, but the vast majority of the time
    > > it didn't.
    >
    > Well, it's NEVER worked yet for me, and ...
    >
    > > Since I upgraded to Jaguar, I've been able to mount Win98 & WinXP shared
    > > drives nearly flawlessly. Now, the only time I can't mount a Win98
    >
    > Yeah, I want Jaguar, but there are a lot of more
    > important things and very little money. Ironically,
    > one of those things is a (possibly) money making
    > tool that will only run on Windoze. But Win98
    > being what it is and kids being what they are,
    > I'm not quite brave enough yet to let Windoze be
    > the internet machine.
    10.1.x SAMBA is really quirky, I mean really quirky. The only way I
    was able to connect to a Win98SE computer was to actually enter the
    name of the machine and not the IP address in the
    smb://servername/sharename. This won't work if either have spaces in
    them or other nonconforming characters. The name is the
    identification name set in the control panel on the Win98SE computer.
    HTH
    der Guest

  7. #7

    > Yeah, just make sure to unmount the share or power-off the Mac before
    > turning off the PC. Turning off a PC with the Mac connected to a share
    > hopelessly hangs the Finder every time for me.
    What's the easiest way to unmount?
    (Forgive me if it's obvious--since I haven't yet
    got one to mount, I can't look at it for clues
    to this question!)

    Wesley Groleau Guest

  8. #8

    In article <WGadnX2D_-YDUWCjXTWJgQgbronline.com>,
    Wesley Groleau <wesgroleaudespammed.com> wrote:
    > > Yeah, just make sure to unmount the share or power-off the Mac before
    > > turning off the PC. Turning off a PC with the Mac connected to a share
    > > hopelessly hangs the Finder every time for me.
    >
    > What's the easiest way to unmount?
    > (Forgive me if it's obvious--since I haven't yet
    > got one to mount, I can't look at it for clues
    > to this question!)

    Drag it to the trash. On OSX, the Trash icon (and label) will change to
    either Dismount or Disconnect (I forget which).

    --
    AF
    "Non Sequitur U has a really, really lousy debate team."

  9. #9

    >>What's the easiest way to unmount?
    >
    > Drag it to the trash. On OSX, the Trash icon (and label) will change to
    > either Dismount or Disconnect (I forget which).
    Thanks. That's what I would have tried,
    for consistency with DMGs and CDs but
    it's nice to know in advance.

    Wesley Groleau Guest