Professional Web Applications Themes

Mac, Windows network - Mac Networking

I am trying to network two of my home computers. One is running Mac OS 10 the other Windows XP. They currently share a internet connection through a wireless router. How do I do this?...

  1. #1

    Default Mac, Windows network

    I am trying to network two of my home computers. One is running Mac OS
    10 the other Windows XP. They currently share a internet connection
    through a wireless router. How do I do this?
    Chris Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Mac, Windows network

    Chris <unh.edu> wrote:

    If you want to copy files from the Windows machine to the Mac, go into
    Connect To Server and type in "SMB:\\ip of windows machine" and you will
    be connected. For the Windows XP machine to see the Mac, you will need
    third-party software.

    Jeff
    Jeff Guest

  3. #3

    In article <com>,
    Jeff Grossman <com> wrote:

    > If you want to copy files from the Windows machine to the Mac, go into
    > Connect To Server and type in "SMB:\\ip of windows machine" and you will
    > be connected. For the Windows XP machine to see the Mac, you will need
    > third-party software.
    >
    > Jeff[/ref]

    You shouldn't need 3rd party software. All Chris should need to do is
    go to the Sharing system preferences and enable "Windows Sharing". The
    option says it will:

    "...let selected Windows users access shared folders on this
    computer using SMB/CIFS. This will also let Windows users print to
    shared printers."

    If you click on Help in System Preferences, and ask for "Windows
    Sharing" you can get instructions on what additional stuff you may wish
    to do to aid in sharing files and printers with Windows users.

    Note: This is based on Mac OS X 10.3.4 (your mileage may vary with
    older versions of Mac OS X)

    Bob Harris
    Bob Guest

  4. #4

    Bob Harris <dec.com> wrote:

    >> If you want to copy files from the Windows machine to the Mac, go into
    >> Connect To Server and type in "SMB:\\ip of windows machine" and you will
    >> be connected. For the Windows XP machine to see the Mac, you will need
    >> third-party software.
    >>
    >> Jeff[/ref]
    >
    >You shouldn't need 3rd party software. All Chris should need to do is
    >go to the Sharing system preferences and enable "Windows Sharing". The
    >option says it will:
    >
    > "...let selected Windows users access shared folders on this
    >computer using SMB/CIFS. This will also let Windows users print to
    >shared printers."
    >
    >If you click on Help in System Preferences, and ask for "Windows
    >Sharing" you can get instructions on what additional stuff you may wish
    >to do to aid in sharing files and printers with Windows users.
    >
    >Note: This is based on Mac OS X 10.3.4 (your mileage may vary with
    >older versions of Mac OS X)[/ref]

    Your right. I forgot OS X had Windows sharing built-in also.

    Jeff
    Jeff Guest

  5. #5

    In article <cac.cpqcorp.net>,
    Bob Harris <dec.com> wrote:

    ---

    What about OS 9?

    I have a Mac OS 9.2.2 and a Win95 system sharing a router. I'd like
    to be able to access DOC files on the Win machine because I have MS
    Office 2001 and Applworks 6 (w/MacLink) and can open and use such
    files.

    Is "Dave" the answer to that or something else?

    Is it even possible?

    DMK
    D. Guest

  6. #6

    In article <verizon.net>,
    "D. Kirkpatrick" <com> wrote:

    > ---
    >
    > What about OS 9?
    >
    > I have a Mac OS 9.2.2 and a Win95 system sharing a router. I'd like
    > to be able to access DOC files on the Win machine because I have MS
    > Office 2001 and Applworks 6 (w/MacLink) and can open and use such
    > files.
    >
    > Is "Dave" the answer to that or something else?
    >
    > Is it even possible?
    >
    > DMK[/ref]

    This must be the night for "Dave". Yes "Dave" from Thursby Software
    Systems should allow your Mac to access Windows Shares, and I think Dave
    will allow you to offer Mac files as Shares to Windows users. Got to
    http://thursby.com to get more information about Dave.

    Bob Harris
    Bob Guest

  7. #7

    Entity Jeff Grossman spoke thus:

    Would that it were that easy! My experience is that XP ALWAYS sees OSX but
    OSX rarely sees XP. Leaving it plugged in for about 15 minutes sure helps, I
    think it takes that long for XP to broadcast.

    Also, ensure the "SMB" protocol is enabled in Directory Access and turn off
    antivirus on the XP box.

    But don't forget to turn it back on sometime.

    -- Gnarlie
    http://www.Gnarlodious.com

    Gnarlodious Guest