Professional Web Applications Themes

Mach II Framework Questions - Coldfusion - Advanced Techniques

I am considering rewriting my website using the machii framework. First a specific question as of right now my site loads a topbar and a menubar located at the top and left of the page respectively. How does the framework handle this kind of setup. Second how does the framework handle ColdFusions native login security tags (cflogin, cfloginuser...ect.). Finally good indepth resources seem to be hard to come by does anyone have any links or know of any good sites for this information. Thank Jake...

  1. #1

    Default Mach II Framework Questions

    I am considering rewriting my website using the machii framework. First a
    specific question as of right now my site loads a topbar and a menubar located
    at the top and left of the page respectively. How does the framework handle
    this kind of setup. Second how does the framework handle ColdFusions native
    login security tags (cflogin, cfloginuser...ect.). Finally good indepth
    resources seem to be hard to come by does anyone have any links or know of any
    good sites for this information.
    Thank
    Jake

    JakeFlynn Guest

  3. #3

    Default Re: Mach II Framework Questions

    On 2005-06-07 15:25:48 -0500, "JakeFlynn" <webforumsusermacromedia.com> said:
    > I am considering rewriting my website using the machii framework. First
    > a specific question as of right now my site loads a topbar and a
    > menubar located at the top and left of the page respectively. How does
    > the framework handle this kind of setup.
    Basically Mach-II has the concept of multiple views within an event, so
    one way you could do this would be to have your event include your
    navigation views along with your main page view.
    > Second how does the framework handle ColdFusions native login security
    > tags (cflogin, cfloginuser...ect.).
    Not sure what you mean here--you can use these tags, but the framework
    is agnostic to them.
    [url]http://www.mach-ii.com[/url]
    [url]http://www.mach-ii.info[/url]
    [url]http://corfield.org/index.cfm?event=machii.main[/url]
    [url]http://www.fusebox.org/forums/categories.cfm?catid=26[/url]
    [url]http://livedocs.macromedia.com/wtg/public/machiidevguide/[/url]

    --
    Matt Woodward
    [email]mpwoodward[/email]

    mpwoodward *TMM* Guest

  4. #4

    Not sure what you mean here--you can use these tags, but the framework

    What I meant was that normally i would use them in the application.cfm file.
    would i use them in the same place when using the framework or would you need
    to set up a cfc in the model that handles security?

    JakeFlynn Guest

  5. #5

    On 2005-06-07 17:02:52 -0500, "JakeFlynn" <webforumsusermacromedia.com> said:
    > Not sure what you mean here--you can use these tags, but the framework
    >
    > What I meant was that normally i would use them in the application.cfm
    > file. would i use them in the same place when using the framework or
    > would you need to set up a cfc in the model that handles security?
    You'd use it in a CFC. What I've typically done is had a Listener that
    handles the initial login, then you can have a filter to check the
    login status before specific events.

    Matt

  6. #6

    since you asked for a link [url]http://www.mach-ii.com/[/url] but I bet you've been to that one, huh?
    Velvett Fog Guest

  7. #7

    i have not read through all the doentation with that said, does any of the doentation cover login checks and security within the framework (ie best practices for implementation)
    JakeFlynn Guest

  8. #8

    On 2005-06-07 20:56:57 -0500, "JakeFlynn" <webforumsusermacromedia.com> said:
    > i have not read through all the doentation with that said, does any
    > of the doentation cover login checks and security within the
    > framework (ie best practices for implementation)
    The framework leaves this completely up to you--the framework itself
    does not have any particular preferred way of handling security. You
    can use cflogin, you can roll your own, the framework doesn't care. By
    using the available plugins and fitlers, however, you can apply
    security in a very granular way within Mach-II.

    Matt

  9. #9

    >>Finally good indepth
    resources seem to be hard to come by does anyone have any links or know of
    any
    good sites for this information.

    As coldfusion gradually dies out we see less and less of the kind of
    resources we use to have. In this case, the mach-ii site is about the only
    place for this stuff. Sadly, there's not really a community behind mach-ii
    in the way there is for struts and other popular framworks, and there are no
    books that I am aware of.

    I heard a whisper that mach-ii was no longer being developed, but looking at
    the website it seems this was perhaps just a rumour. IMO, its far better
    than Fusebox, even an evolution of it in many ways.

    "JakeFlynn" <webforumsusermacromedia.com> wrote in message
    >I am considering rewriting my website using the machii framework. First a
    > specific question as of right now my site loads a topbar and a menubar
    > located
    > at the top and left of the page respectively. How does the framework
    > handle
    > this kind of setup. Second how does the framework handle ColdFusions
    > native
    > login security tags (cflogin, cfloginuser...ect.). Finally good indepth
    > resources seem to be hard to come by does anyone have any links or know of
    > any
    > good sites for this information.
    > Thank
    > Jake

    Andrew Guest

  10. #10

    On 2005-06-08 02:06:44 -0500, "Andrew"
    <andrewmjinteractive.iinet.net.au> said:

    > As coldfusion gradually dies out
    Far from a foregone conclusion, and far from the point of this thread.
    > we see less and less of the kind of resources we use to have. In this
    > case, the mach-ii site is about the only place for this stuff.
    This person posted this question in another thread and I gave him
    numerous links to check out. If all you know about is the mach-ii.com
    site then I really question whether or not you actually use Mach-II.
    > Sadly, there's not really a community behind mach-ii in the way there
    > is for struts and other popular framworks, and there are no books that
    > I am aware of.
    True, no books, but there's quite a community behind it. Try google or
    see the links I posted in the other thread about this for a few
    resources.

    > I heard a whisper that mach-ii was no longer being developed, but
    > looking at the website it seems this was perhaps just a rumour.
    Just a rumor--it's reached a relative stage of maturity so releases
    just don't come that often these days.
    > IMO, its far better than Fusebox, even an evolution of it in many ways.
    Really depends on what you're after and what your background is. For
    people with a non-OO background Fusebox is easier to pick up and offers
    many of the same benefits, it just goes about things in a different way.

  11. #11

    >but there's quite a community behind it.

    Define 'quite'. I define size in the context of other similar frameworks -
    mach-ii has a tiny community by comparison. This is no refelcetion on its
    ability of course, mach-ii is cool. I am just stating a fact here.
    >Just a rumor--it's reached a relative stage of maturity so releases
    just don't come that often these days.

    Same thing with the likes of struts, really died down releaase wise. But
    then we did hear that it was fo rthe most part being superceded with JSF. I
    can't help but wonder if , like MM, the guys are wondering if the numbers
    are there that allow for too much time to be spent on it.
    >For
    people with a non-OO background Fusebox is easier to pick up and offers
    many of the same benefits

    Which likely applies to a great many CF'ers. Still, Mach-ii isn't that much
    harder to learn, surely? I found fusebox rather clumsy and less intuitive.
    (which probarbly comes back to what you just sadi about having an OO
    background)