Professional Web Applications Themes

Macintosh AirPort Extreme: how to set up (cautiosly)? - Mac Networking

I'll get my AirPort Extreme Basestation next week and would like to set it up fairly securely (close to "paranoid"). I understand WPA is better than WEP, what else can I do to only let specific computers use the connection? I'd like to know who is using it and have some sensitive data on the network. Advice and pointers most welcome. TIA Marc -- Marc Heusser (remove the obvious: CHEERS and MERICAL...until end to reply via email)...

  1. #1

    Default Macintosh AirPort Extreme: how to set up (cautiosly)?

    --
    Marc Heusser
    (remove the obvious: CHEERS and MERICAL...until end to reply via email)
    Marc Guest

  2. #2

    On 4/11/04 4:59 AM, in article
    bluewin.ch, "Marc Heusser"
    <comMERCIALSPAMMERS.invalid> wrote:

    In the Airport Admin Utility, you can go to the Access Control tab and enter
    the individual machine address for each computer you want to have access.

    Richardson Guest

  3. #3

    Richardson wrote:
    > In the Airport Admin Utility, you can go to the Access Control tab and enter
    > the individual machine address for each computer you want to have access.[/ref]

    Note that the Ethernet address is programmable. The enemy can configure
    his machine to use one of the accepted addresses. They can be logged,
    e.g. by setting up an open base station, where your mobiles try to
    attach. In paranoid mode you reprogram your own addresses every now and
    then, and update them to the base station.

    To pass sensitive data in the network you should still use an end-to-end
    VPN from the mobile machine to your server.

    -- Lassi
    Lassi Guest

  4. #4

    In article <compromised.invalid>,
    Lassi Hippelainen <compromised.invalid> wrote:

    > > In the Airport Admin Utility, you can go to the Access Control tab and enter
    > > the individual machine address for each computer you want to have access.[/ref]
    >
    > Note that the Ethernet address is programmable. The enemy can configure
    > his machine to use one of the accepted addresses. They can be logged,
    > e.g. by setting up an open base station, where your mobiles try to
    > attach. In paranoid mode you reprogram your own addresses every now and
    > then, and update them to the base station.
    >
    > To pass sensitive data in the network you should still use an end-to-end
    > VPN from the mobile machine to your server.[/ref]

    Thanks to both of you.
    As I will not be passing sensitive date on the network really, does this
    mean I best set up the Airport to be on the WAN side of the firewall,
    (or in the DMZ if the firewall has one)?
    This way my individual mobile machine is just seeing the open internet,
    and has to be set up with its internal ipfw firewall for adequate
    protection there. On the other hand all the internal (LAN) desktop
    machines are protected by the firewall.
    Or can I program MAC addresses on the AEBS? Of course these can be
    copied as well ...
    Or is using WPA good enough, so I connect like that and forget about
    programming individual addresses, just using the passphrase and station
    name? And where would I connect the AEBS? WAN, DMZ (if available) or LAN
    side?
    On my mobile machines sensitive data is fully encrypted.

    Marc