Professional Web Applications Themes

Macintosh & using two monitors - Adobe Photoshop Elements

I have a power Mac G4 with a good Samsung SyncMaster monitor. Is it possiable to hook up a 2nd monitor, an inexpensive LCD, to my system? i would like to have all the tools, pallettes etc. open on the LCD, while i keep just the image i am working on open on the Samsung CRT monitor. what size monitor do most people use for there photo editing?...

  1. #1

    Default Macintosh & using two monitors

    I have a power Mac G4 with a good Samsung SyncMaster monitor. Is it possiable to hook up a 2nd monitor, an inexpensive LCD, to my system? i would like to have all the tools, pallettes etc. open on the LCD, while i keep just the image i am working on open on the Samsung CRT monitor. what size monitor do most people use for there photo editing?
    George Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: Macintosh & using two monitors

    Yes, it works very well. I don't know exactly how to do it, because I have never tried it. But you will hear from somebody here soon. I can get info on how to do it, but it will take me a while to get in touch with a friend who has 2 Macs using a total of 4 monitors. 2 each.
    Jane
    Jane_Carter@adobeforums.com Guest

  3. #3

    George,

    As Jane said, you can have two monitors hooked up to your system quite easily. You just have to have the ports for it. On my older G4/533 I my CRT monitor is run of the single graphics card installed in the AGP PCI slot. The card has two ports: SVGA and ADC (Apple Display Connector). My CRT is plugged into the SVGA port so I still have the ADC port open and ready for use. Just make sure what kind of ports your graphics card has before you go out and buy the LCD. You can always buy adapters <http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore.woa/70803/wo/WF1Wmw8eUnjE25Xdg341VYOUAXh/2.3.0.5.7.1.0.17.3.1.1.0?58,13> but it's nice not to have to worry about them.

    As for what size? I use a 17" and there are plenty of folks editing photo's on iMac 15" screens. It's a personal preference thing.

    Joe
    Joe_Henry1000@adobeforums.com Guest

  4. #4

    I just got through sending a message to a friend and was telling him my dream of going to two monitors! Get the bugs out, George, and then let me know how it's going. :)
    Beth_Haney@adobeforums.com Guest

  5. #5

    Note that what you can do with two monitors depends on your model, though. Powerbooks and towers support "extended desktop" where you can, say, keep your tool palettes on one monitor and your image on the other, but imacs, emacs, and ibooks only let you "mirror", i.e. show the same thing on both.

    Extended desktop is really cool. There is a firmware hack for imacs and emacs, but it voids your warranty and can potentially fry your computer.
    Barbara_Brundage@adobeforums.com Guest

  6. #6

    Your idea is exactly what my friend (an architect) uses in his studio. It's
    an awesome system to work with. He runs the two monitors from a Sony Viao
    laptop. It was not difficult to hook up.

    "George S. Forman" <net> wrote in message
    possiable to hook up a 2nd monitor, an inexpensive LCD, to my system? i
    would like to have all the tools, pallettes etc. open on the LCD, while i
    keep just the image i am working on open on the Samsung CRT monitor. what
    size monitor do most people use for there photo editing?

    Michael Guest

  7. #7

    my wife will not let me have the LCD monitor from her computer and neither will my daughter, looks like i will be visiting best buy tomorrow. i will let you know how this all works out
    George Guest

  8. #8

    Hi Barbara, This is really interesting, as I was told that -all- new Macs support the 'extended desktop' as well as the 'mirror', and it is the extended desktop that we all want.
    I would like to find out more about this, but I sure wouldn't want to fry my new iMac if I get it for Xmas, but I wouldn't know how to apply the 'hack'.
    My present G4 would work? But with my lovely big monitor, I haven't thought I needed it. Plenty of room here, and cheap monitors, why not go for it!
    Learn something new and exciting here every day!

  9. #9

    Hmm, dunno who told you that, but they told you wrong. Check the tech specs under "displays" for any machine you are interested in. For the imac, for instance, it says right there:

    VGA output port for video mirroring on external display or projector

    Many people have killed their machines trying to hack their firmware for extended desktop. If you really want it, buy a machine that supports it.
    Barbara_Brundage@adobeforums.com Guest

  10. #10

    I've been using two monitors since about 1995. On Mac. PC didn't support it till later on, and I do use two monitors on my XP system. People look at it like it is something from outer space. to me there is no other way to work with Photoshop, graphics and the web.

    What the setup generally requires is a second video card. That is, if you have an open PCI slot, you can get an inexpensive video card and monitor and snap in the card, plug in the monitor, and away you go. It is just about that simple for mac and XP these days. I have added a second monitor for as little as $150 total new ($60 64MB card, $90 radius 15" monitor), and virtually free from spare parts (pull the card out of an unused machine and borrow the monitor). Dual monitors would optimally be the same (same card, same monitor brand and model), but you can have broad variation. The first time I set up dual monitors was on a mac 6110, and I was running a 21" NEC, then added a no-name 13" that was barely kept from the dumpster. It was enough to get my palettes on, and it certainly helped.

    As far as the size of the monitors you use, it depends on how far you sit from them. I can use two 15", high-resolution monitors and feel pretty comfortable (and save a ton). Some people get all wild about a large monitor as the main, but if you have .35 dot pitch moving up to a 21" screen, that really isn't much better than a sharp 15" at .22. I often find I have to put larger monitors further away, and I bet if i measured the field of view, the display size in the long run would only be marginally different.

    I have heard of single cards that support dual output but I have never used one -- and actually have never seen one. Usually I believe cards that have more than one port are often a convenience: they can really support ONE monitor, but have more than one type of port. I would check with the manufacturer before plugging any thing in unless you are sure the card is meant to support more than one monitor. If not, you may get mirrored display, or worse, you can fry the card. I'd be careful, but not over-cautious.

    In short, I recommend it. But check out the specs first. If you aren't sure, add a new card instead.

    Hope that helps.

    Richard
    Richard_Lynch@adobeforums.com Guest

  11. #11

    I have heard of single cards that support dual output but I have never
    used one -- >and actually have never seen one. Usually I believe cards
    that have more than one >port are often a convenience: they can really
    support ONE monitor, but have more >than one type of port.

    Hi Richard,

    You're thinking too PC :-) . I've set up more than a few dual monitor set-ups for clients (and friends), using the single graphic's card that comes stock in G4 towers. You plug em in and "they just work". I actually had my current G4 tower set-up with an LCD and and a CRT not too long ago when I was fixing the LCD for a client. It worked just fine along side the CRT in the same graphics card (after I fixed a damaged connector ;-) ).

    George,

    I don't know what model G4 (I am assuming it's a tower, though because you didn't say iMac anywhere did you?) you have, maybe you could post that. If we knew the model I could tell you the card you have installed. That'd help a lot. My G4 was purchased back in May of 2001 and came with the Nvidia Geforce MX <http://www.nvidia.com/page/geforce2mx.html>. That card can easily handle two monitors.

  12. #12

    Hi, Joe. Yep, here are the official set-up instructions <http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=61331>.

    Jane, the consumer level macs--imac, emac, ibook, have no pci slots, so Richard's idea won't help you out there, unfortunately.
    Barbara_Brundage@adobeforums.com Guest

  13. #13

    Oops, wrong link. This is the new one:

    Barbara_Brundage@adobeforums.com Guest

  14. #14

    Hi Barb,

    You ever figure out that calibration problem?

  15. #15

    No. I'm looking at zeroing out and starting over from scratch. 8^(
    Barbara_Brundage@adobeforums.com Guest

  16. #16

    For anyone who's getting a new Mac or PC, consider a notebook or desktop with a widescreen monitor instead of getting two monitors. Notebooks such as the PowerBook series have 15" and 17" widescreen versions, and iMacs and some Sonys have widescreen monitors built in.

    It seems like all applications for all walks of life have a million palettes now. From Photoshop Elements to Illustrator to Final Cut Pro & DVD Studio Pro to developers' tools such as Eclipse and NetBeans--they all have palettes on the left, palettes on the right, dockable palettes, resizable palettes, expandable palettes. Hmmm. Does Adobe have stock in NEC or Sony? ;-)

    Oh, and it's a great way to watch wide-screen DVDs, too. Betcha that's disorienting on two monitors. :-) (Just finished "As Good As It Gets"--great movie)
    Lou_M@adobeforums.com Guest

  17. #17

    On Sat, 1 Nov 2003 18:19:30 -0800, com wrote:

    Do you mean no software is required?
    How do I tell my computer on which screen to put the palettes for instance?

    You advise to check with the manufacturer of the card first, but what do I
    look for? I am on a pc with a Nvidia Ge Forced4 MX 420 and tried to look up
    the specs on Nvidia's site, but the details there are far too technical for
    me to understand.

    Thanks for your help.
    --
    Groet, Adriana.
    [Gravity is a myth. The Earth s.]

  18. #18

    JOE HENRY........i have a DP 867 G4 tower (mirrored drive doors) with 1.5GB of ram and running OS X 10.2.6, i am unsure of the graphic card, will this system support dual monitors? i don't want to "mirror" my monitor, but want to keep all my tools, pallettes etc. on one monitor and the image i am working on, on another monitor. how does the computer know which monitor to put the tools etc. on?
    George Guest

  19. #19

    while my wife was sleeping i took the IBM LCD from her computer and tried to hook it up to my power mac. the plug from her monitor, along with the LCD monitor from my daughters computer are differant then what is on my mac. i have a Samsung monitor hooked up to my G4 right now and next to where i have this hooked up is another plug but neither LCD monitor i have has the right kind of plug for it.any ideas what i can do. i also opened up in system preferances, display, and it has a button for detect display but does not have anything for the arrangement of the monitors like it said in the link Barbara posted. does this mean on my mirrored drive door G4 i will not be able to put the pallettes, tools etc. on one display while i keep the image on the other display? that is providing i can find a monitor with the proper plug configuration.
    George Guest

  20. #20

    George, I haven't poked around on my desktop computer yet this morning (it runs both OS 9 and 10.2.8), but I was looking at the settings on this PowerBook, which still runs only OS 9. It says in the Help files that I won't be able to see the options for Mirror Desktop or Extended Desktop unless I actually have a second monitor hooked up to the computer - which I don't. That could be why you're not finding the options that were referred to in the link Barbara gave.

    I'm going off to snoop through my junk, because somewhere I've got some information about monitor adapters. You should be able to hook up any LCD to your MDD, but with an adapter.

    Edit: I forgot to answer one of your questions - when in extended desktop mode, you just have a wider expanse within which you can move things around. You control where your toolbars or pallets are placed by dragging them with your mouse, just like you do now, except you can literally drag them off of one monitor and onto the second. I did this quite a while ago, using a small TV in extended mode with my PowerBook. It was a little freaky, because I'd been after the "mirror" mode, and I thought I'd broken something. After my heart started beating again, it was really fun.
    Beth_Haney@adobeforums.com Guest

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast