Professional Web Applications Themes

MacOS 10.2.8 connecting wirelessly to orig. Airport or 3rd partyWLAN? - Mac Networking

Well, I've fallen behind the times. I've done a lot of Mac work previous to OS X and I thought I could get this sorted out and can't seem to do it. I'm sure I'm missing something... Here's my setup: - MacOS X (10.2.8) on iBook 500mhz model - Latest Airport software allowed on 10.2.8 which is Airport 3.1.1 - Original Airport card installed (not Extreme!) - Choice of two different access points: (1) Original Airport with up to 40-bit WEP (closed network) (2) Linksys WLAN router (to keep it simple) with up to 128-bit WEP First, is it possible ...

  1. #1

    Default MacOS 10.2.8 connecting wirelessly to orig. Airport or 3rd partyWLAN?

    Well, I've fallen behind the times. I've done a lot of Mac work
    previous to OS X and I thought I could get this sorted out and can't
    seem to do it. I'm sure I'm missing something...

    Here's my setup:

    - MacOS X (10.2.8) on iBook 500mhz model
    - Latest Airport software allowed on 10.2.8 which is Airport 3.1.1
    - Original Airport card installed (not Extreme!)
    - Choice of two different access points:
    (1) Original Airport with up to 40-bit WEP (closed network)
    (2) Linksys WLAN router (to keep it simple) with up to 128-bit WEP

    First, is it possible to connect my iBook to *either* of these APs? And
    if so, HOW?

    There seem to be TWO places to setup and/or join a WLAN using MacOS X.
    One under System Prefs/Networking/Airport and one on the Airport
    dropdown on the top menu bar. The menubar drop down allows for 40-bit
    ASCII/HEX and 128-bit ASCII/HEX authentication strings. The System
    Prefs only take a password. So it's a bit confusing and conflicting.

    IDEALLY, I'd like to connect to the Linksys WLAN/router. THAT would
    allow me to eliminate the original Airport base station that I had to
    use because the iBook wouldn't connect to the Linksys (w/encryption)
    under MacOS 9.2.1. And connecting 10.2.8 to the LinkSys it would allow
    me to connect at 128-bit WEP.

    But if not, I'm content to connect to the original Airport base station
    at 40-bit WEP. It's better than nothing.

    I've had no luck with either configuration thus far. I remember the
    days when connectivity with a Mac beat anything else hands down. I
    can't imagine why certain settings are broken out in two different
    places. If all it takes is pointing me to a FAQ, please point the way.
    Chris Guest

  2. #2

    In article <gsy1c.30876$news.prodigy.com>,
    Chris <on.net> wrote:

    Yes. The Graphite Airport base station (single ethernet connector),
    absolutely. I do it every day.

    The Linksys should also work.

    In the Airport Menu entry, there is "Other..." which is what you used
    for a "Closed WiFi Network". The "Other..." choice will allow you to
    specify the Closed network's SSID name, and the password. The
    "Other..." dialog should give you the option of specifying the WEP
    password number of bits.

    If the network is advertising its SSID, then you should be able to
    select the name and because it will also be telling the Mac the number
    of bits needed in the password, it does not need to prompt you for the
    length.

    You should also be able to use the "Other..." Airport menu entry for a
    network that advertises its SSID and get the option of specifying the
    number of WEP bits that way.

    Entering your password for the Linksys will require you to enter the 10
    hexidecimal digit 40 bit password, or the 26 hexidecimal digit 128 bit
    password. And so that the Mac knows it is the raw WEP encryption key
    and not a text string to be converted to a WEP key, you have to prefix
    the password with a dollar sign as in $1a2b3c4d5e. If that doesn't
    work, then you can try prefixing the hexidecimal key with 0x as in
    0x1a2b3c4d5e (not sure if this will work).

    _BUT_ wait, theres more. Not sure if this will affect Mac OS X 10.2.8,
    but somewhere along the way, the dollar sign prefix trick stopped
    working (but I thought it was only on Panther, but it could have been an
    Airport update that did it). Anyway, the way to get around that is to
    use the "Internet Connect" utility in the /Applications folder.
    Internet Connect should show you the same types of options as the
    Airport Menu entry, but it will still accept the dollar sign trick for
    entering the raw hexidecimal WEP key for the Linksys. And when you
    quick from Internet Connect, it will ask you if you want to save the
    information in your Keychain, so that you will have it for next time.

    see previous.

    NOTE: If you are having authentication problems, you can try some
    experiments, like disabling the WEP password on the base station as a
    test to see if you can connect that way, and the re-enable it and work
    on that part of the problem.

    I'm not at home, but I thought that the there was a firmware upgrade for
    the Graphite Airport Base Station to allow it to support 128 bit WEP
    keys. But like I said, I'm not at home, so I can not check to see what
    my base station supports.

    One more thing. Both of those base stations allow you to limit the
    systems that are allowed to connect to them based on the MAC address
    (this is the 802.11b hardware address of your Airport card; it will look
    something like 11:22:33:44:55:66). If your base stations were set up to
    restrict access to only previously registered MAC addresses, then a new
    system would be blocked.

    I run into this myself. It is months (years) between adding a new
    system to my home network, and when I do, I forget that I've enabled the
    MAC filtering feature and I scratch my head wondering why my new toy
    will not connect to the network.

    If you have done this, then I hope you have another system that can
    connect to your base stations and can be used to update the MAC list to
    include your iBook G3/500MHz system.

    Bob Harris
    Bob Guest

  3. #3

    Bob Harris wrote:

> [...]

    > my base station supports.
    >

    > One more thing. Both of those base stations allow you to limit the
    > systems that are allowed to connect to them based on the MAC address
    > (this is the 802.11b hardware address of your Airport card; it will look
    > something like 11:22:33:44:55:66). If your base stations were set up to
    > restrict access to only previously registered MAC addresses, then a new
    > system would be blocked.
    >
    > I run into this myself. It is months (years) between adding a new
    > system to my home network, and when I do, I forget that I've enabled the
    > MAC filtering feature and I scratch my head wondering why my new toy
    > will not connect to the network.
    >
    > If you have done this, then I hope you have another system that can
    > connect to your base stations and can be used to update the MAC list to

    Incredibly helpful. I doubt I would have ever considered the $ or the
    0x prefix. Yes, I do have the MAC address exclusions and I do forget
    about them being in there, but this particular iBook is already in there
    (the MAC address of the Airport card isn't going to change with the
    MacOS X upgrade), so I'm set there. I can't wait to try this out.

    I thought about the "remove WEP, see if it connects, then try with WEP
    approach," but I'm pretty sure I've tried connecting without WEP and it
    does. In fact, the original Airport card has been able to connect to a
    non-WEP 3rd party WLAN all along, if memory serves me correctly.

    Thanks again! I'll post back if I exhaust everything here, but feel
    confident now I'll get it working.

    chris
    Chris Guest

  4. #4

    In article <HhT1c.55763$news.prodigy.com>,
    Chris <on.net> wrote:
     [/ref][/ref]
    <snip>

    > > In the Airport Menu entry, there is "Other..." which is what you used
    > > for a "Closed WiFi Network". The "Other..." choice will allow you to
    > > specify the Closed network's SSID name, and the password. The
    > > "Other..." dialog should give you the option of specifying the WEP
    > > password number of bits.
    > >
    > > If the network is advertising its SSID, then you should be able to
    > > select the name and because it will also be telling the Mac the number
    > > of bits needed in the password, it does not need to prompt you for the
    > > length.
    > >[/ref][/ref]
    <snip)

    I've been struggling with the same issues, trying to set up some
    security between an airport equipped iBook, a hard-wired desktop and
    Netgear WGR614 that we recently acquired and that came with all default
    settings completely open to everyone around... (and which remained so
    for about a week, until I got around to looking into it :-()

    Once I got into it, the Netgear interface was pretty much self
    explanatory, but the airport/macintosh configuration was really not very
    intuitive. The "other network" seemed as the obvious choice, but I
    wasn't aware of the $ in front of the encryption password and couldn't
    get it to work.

    Finally I set it up by creating a new network on the iBook with the same
    name as the SSID and set up the same 40-bit encryption. Well, that seems
    to work, but the SSID shows in the pull down menu, along with everyone
    else's network in our apartment building ;-)

    I would like to reset the iBook using the "other network" (now that I
    learned a thing or two :-), but I can't figure out how to delete the
    network I'd created. Short of futzing with the SSID in order to make the
    connection null and void, I can't figure it out. (I tried deleting some
    pref's as well, that didn't work either).

    I'd appreciate any ideas people might have.

    Also, what do people think about the network being "open to the public"
    for a few days in the beginning? I mean, is it easy for someone who is
    simply curious, not intent on hacking, to get into the hard drives, with
    file sharing turned off? Granted, it wasn't completely open, airport was
    turned off when the iBook wasn't accessing the internet, and I also had
    the ethernet cable yanked off the back of the desktop for most of that
    time, until I could figure things out.
    nospam@optonline.com Guest

  5. #5

    In article <HhT1c.55763$news.prodigy.com>,
    Chris <on.net> wrote:
     [/ref]

    .... snip ...
     [/ref][/ref]
    station

    >> I'm not at home, but I thought that the there was a firmware upgrade
    >> for the Graphite Airport Base Station to allow it to support 128 bit
    >> WEP keys. But like I said, I'm not at home, so I can not check to
    >> see what my base station supports.[/ref][/ref]

    I'm at home now, and I just checked. The original Graphite Airport Base
    Station only seems to support 40 bit WEP key encryption.

    Bob Harris
    Bob Guest

  6. #6

    Bob Harris wrote: [/ref]

    > ... snip ...
    >
    > [/ref]
    >
    > station
    > [/ref]
    >

    > I'm at home now, and I just checked. The original Graphite Airport Base
    > Station only seems to support 40 bit WEP key encryption.[/ref]

    I thought I remembered that because when the Extreme came out, I wanted
    to try and upgrade the original BS, but no go. Thanks for checking though.

    If I had tried just the next thing I was going to try last night before
    running out of gas, I would have connected... But it was good to get
    your response anyway.

    I am successfully connected to my 3rd party WLAN. But now I'm getting
    weird DNS issues. None of my 3rd party apps seem to be getting DNS name
    resolution. I can see I'm on the network. I can ping other things and
    even connect to internal web servers via numeric IP. But I can't get
    name resolution... It's weird (ref. my "Weird" thread on this in this
    NG.) I can see my DNS servers on the network clear as day...

    Still working on it tonight...

    -co
    Chris Guest