Professional Web Applications Themes

MacOS 10.2.8 - Weird DNS issues... - Mac Networking

I recently placed an iBook running 10.2.8 on my wireless network. IP is set for DHCP and I see I picked up an IP just fine in my local subnet. I can ping other boxes using IP addresses, including two boxes running DNS on my network. I can telnet to those boxes. But whenever I use an app that needs to do a DNS lookup, it fails. The server can't be found. When I use nslookup or dig to look up the address, it finds it. I worked on this last minute last night before knocking off and heading in ...

  1. #1

    Default MacOS 10.2.8 - Weird DNS issues...

    I recently placed an iBook running 10.2.8 on my wireless network. IP is
    set for DHCP and I see I picked up an IP just fine in my local subnet.
    I can ping other boxes using IP addresses, including two boxes running
    DNS on my network. I can telnet to those boxes. But whenever I use an
    app that needs to do a DNS lookup, it fails. The server can't be found.
    When I use nslookup or dig to look up the address, it finds it.

    I worked on this last minute last night before knocking off and heading
    in to work after a few winks so I admit I haven't completely finished
    looking at this, but after 30 minutes last night, it's looking strange.

    My /etc/resolv.conf looks fine and exactly like a Linux box I have on my
    network that works fine:

    domain local
    search local
    nameserver 192.168.0.1
    nameserver 192.168.0.2
    nameserver 68.blah.blah.blah (address of ISP's DNS)

    In MacOS Terminal:

    $ ping gw.local
    Unknown host name (or similar error)

    $ ping 192.168.0.1
    (Machine responds to pings)

    $ nslookup www.
    Non-authoritative answer:
    gw.local: 192.168.0.1

    www.:
    (Responds with all of Yahoo's IPs for that name address)

    $ ping www.
    Unknown host name (or similar error)

    It's like it doesn't know about my DNS servers, but strange that
    nsnslookup works (because it picks up the correct DNS server in the
    nameserver list automagically, but none of my apps -- IE, mail client,
    etc. -- will do so.)

    -ceo
    Chris Guest

  2. #2

    Default Re: MacOS 10.2.8 - Weird DNS issues...

    Chris wrote:

    Just an update, in case someone can help me solve this riddle all the
    way through. I have a feeling this has to do with multicast DNS and
    zeroconf (I think Apple broke IP networking doing this trying to
    hand-hold people like Microslop does, but anyway...)

    If I use a manual IP, I'm fine; I get DNS lookups If I use DHCP, I
    can't get any apps to do DNS lookups. I can't get any local DNS lookups
    because I'm running a local DNS server and my local domain is .local --
    this is pretty well doented however, so I can see the issues here.
    (I think this is SO BOGUS of Apple to do this...)

    Anyway, if someone can clue me in more quickly than my own sleuthing on
    just WHY a manual IP allows me to perform DNS lookups (for external
    addresses) and a DHCP address DOESN'T allow this, I'd appreciate it.
    I've Googled and search support.apple.com until I'm blue in the face.

    Also, if someone knows a way to turn off all this zeroconf and multicast
    DNS business that is in Panther, I would appreciate that as well.

    -co
    Chris Guest

  3. #3

    In article <mXc2c.32312$news.prodigy.com>,
    Chris <on.net> wrote:

    > Just an update, in case someone can help me solve this riddle all the
    > way through. I have a feeling this has to do with multicast DNS and
    > zeroconf (I think Apple broke IP networking doing this trying to
    > hand-hold people like Microslop does, but anyway...)
    >
    > If I use a manual IP, I'm fine; I get DNS lookups If I use DHCP, I
    > can't get any apps to do DNS lookups. I can't get any local DNS lookups
    > because I'm running a local DNS server and my local domain is .local --
    > this is pretty well doented however, so I can see the issues here.
    > (I think this is SO BOGUS of Apple to do this...)
    >
    > Anyway, if someone can clue me in more quickly than my own sleuthing on
    > just WHY a manual IP allows me to perform DNS lookups (for external
    > addresses) and a DHCP address DOESN'T allow this, I'd appreciate it.
    > I've Googled and search support.apple.com until I'm blue in the face.
    >
    > Also, if someone knows a way to turn off all this zeroconf and multicast
    > DNS business that is in Panther, I would appreciate that as well.
    >
    > -co[/ref]

    I think that bug has always been there. I've never seen any OSX version
    work reliably without manually entering the DNS IP addresses into the
    first entry of the Network control panel, even when DHCP is providing
    the DNS entries. You shouldn't need a static IP, though. That might be
    a problem with trying to lease an address.
    Kevin Guest

  4. #4

    In article <supernews.com>,
    Kevin McMurtrie <com> wrote:

    I've never had to enter a DNS address manually on my Panther system, and
    it works fine. It gets the DHCP info from my router.

    --
    Barry Margolin, mit.edu
    Arlington, MA

  5. #5

    Barry Margolin wrote:

    > I've never had to enter a DNS address manually on my Panther system, and
    > it works fine. It gets the DHCP info from my router.
    >[/ref]

    I tried it both ways: WITH DNS manually assigned and WITHOUT (assuming
    that my DNS is coming from the DHCP lease). Right now I'm down to
    assigning a manual IP address (as well as manual DNS entries, of course)
    in order to get the iBook onto the network. It's REALLY WEIRD.

    Understand I'm saying I'm assigning a MANUAL *IP* ADDRESS (as well as
    manual DNS entries) to get this to work -- not just manual DNS entries.
    I agree that this shouldn't be; it should be that an address handed
    out by DHCP would do the trick, and as I said in my original post, I do
    get assigned an address on my network, and I can ping other machines on
    the network using their numeric IPs and even do a DNS lookup of both
    internal and external addresses. But DNS lookups are failing in my apps.

    Why a manual IP address fixes this is beyond me. It's finicky beyond
    reason.

    -co
    Chris Guest